CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   Atlanta (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/atlanta/)
-   -   Touristy things to do near Atlanta (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/atlanta/touristy-things-do-near-atlanta-3355/)

2krackers 10-06-2010 03:35 PM

Touristy things to do near Atlanta

We might be spending the December holidays with relatives in Atlanta. If I had only 1 day to get out and see the area, what would you say is "not to be missed!" ??

Jim 10-07-2010 09:11 PM

The Varsity with out a doubt!

RedTruck18 10-11-2010 12:40 AM

Underground Atlanta is pretty neat, as is Atlantic Station.

RedTruck18 10-11-2010 12:40 AM

As far as cool things, centinial olympic park is kinda cool, and in the middle of the World of Coke, the CNN Center, Phillips Arena, the GA Dome, and pretty close to the Georgia Aquarium. All of which are pretty neat places to see.

3S00W 10-11-2010 07:25 AM

my parents alway enjoyed going to the lake, we've done all the touristy things and they always wanna go back to the lake. Six mile creek Mountain View docks... Dont go to the big stops, the quie little stops along the lake are the best, usually more northern stuff... Stone Mt aint to shabby either.

PlazJ 10-18-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedTruck18 (Post 22886)
As far as cool things, centinial olympic park is kinda cool, and in the middle of the World of Coke, the CNN Center, Phillips Arena, the GA Dome, and pretty close to the Georgia Aquarium. All of which are pretty neat places to see.

+1 to RedTruck's suggestions. All cool to see. If you have a family along, the Aquarium is a good one. Too bad Six Flags is closed then. Lots of cool coasters if you're in to that type of thing

PlazJ

DrAwkward 10-23-2010 04:28 AM

Depending on what time of the year you're going: Allow me to suggest the Piedmont Botanical Gardens, especially if a guest artist is showing there. Many different rooms, each with a different climate feels very stimulating! Going from hot, steamy, sweltering tropics with the air barely moving to a cool windswept steppe: oddly sensual! And the garden of scents outside... needless to say, it's a wonderful place to go to wake all your senses (and involve a date in discussions of not only sights, but smells, skin feelings, delicate textures, etc.)

GatorDude 11-04-2010 10:10 PM

These two attractions are now located close to each other and they are very well done -

Georgia Aquarium
World of Coke

CNN Center is also pretty close by and might be worth a visit.

If you want to get a little more cultured, try the High Museum. I haven't visited, but it's a big city, Smithsonian quality, art museum. It's the kind of thing you might want to expose the kids to from time to time.

3S00W 11-05-2010 05:15 AM

Going to Coke and Aquarium today

GatorDude 11-05-2010 09:57 PM

Xmas Lights

Christmas light displays at Life University in Marietta are pretty good and a quick, cheap, excursion. A larger display at Lake Lanier is also worthwhile, but is pretty expensive. They have a little fair, gift shop, and bonfire that is pretty neat at Lake Lanier. I think all the Xmas stuff starts just before Thanksgiving and runs through New Years.

rpbaldwin 11-06-2010 07:01 AM

You also shouldn't forget the rotating restaurant at the top of the Westin Peachtree. Offers a nice view of the city skyline.

mrmekon 11-15-2010 03:20 PM

The best thing Atlanta has to offer is unbelievable food and drink. Other than that, our tourism is pretty crap. Personally, I'd skip the tourist mile and go to The High Museum or Botanical Gardens, but those definitely aren't for everyone.

If you're in to craft brew, Brick Store Pub is usually rated #1 or #2 in the nation.

ardentfrost 11-16-2010 06:22 PM

If it's warmish and nice, you could see Stone Mountain. Otherwise, the High Museum is nice, especially if you can catch it on martini night.

reverendfrag 11-17-2010 01:04 AM

The Salvador Dali exhibit at the High Museum is fantastic, if you like surrealist art. The Atlanta Botanical Gardens are also really nice, especially since they finished their massive expansion recently. The Canopy Walk in particular is pretty cool.

Chiefbreweratl 11-18-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedTruck18 (Post 22886)

I have to concur...most bang for your buck. Stay downtown...the CNN center, Georgia Aquarium, World of Coke, Underground Atlanta are all within walking distance of each other...

Ianscity 12-07-2010 04:01 PM

Atlanta Botanical Gardens is a must. Stone Mountain, CNN Center, drinks or snacks at the top of the Westin (the tall round hotel in the center of Atlanta skyline), Georgia Aquarium if its cold out, the Cyclorama next to the Atlanta Zoo if you are a Civil War or history buff, Phipps Plaza and/or Lenox Mall for those that like to shop or just people watch, The Fabulous Fox Theater is a great place to see a band or a play or a musical or just about anything...as well as the Tabernacle for music.

sudznmud 12-16-2010 12:27 PM

The A1quarium is awesome, one of the better ones i have seen.

Babygirlbo4 12-16-2010 05:43 PM

I wanna go

twodrbenz 12-19-2010 08:40 PM

Helen, GA is as touristy as you can get and Christmas is the best time to visit... well Octoberfest is pretty cool too.

icebrain 12-20-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twodrbenz (Post 56851)
Helen, GA is as touristy as you can get and Christmas is the best time to visit... well Octoberfest is pretty cool too.

That's a little out of range for a day trip to Atlanta, but the area surrounding Helen can be really nice. Some friends got married at a little vineyard nearby, and the view was incredible. The wine was good, too :cheers:

If you go to Helen in the summer, do the rafting thing down the river. It's $5 or $10 but very relaxing once you get used to the water.

a6131 12-22-2010 05:59 PM

If you're a beer drinker, the Taco Mac sports bars in midtown and sandy springs have over 100 beers on tap at any given time. Not exactly touristy, but a good place for dinner and a few drinks.

hybridmoments 12-27-2010 10:14 AM

+1 on the Dali exhibit, the high is an excellent way to spend an afternoon.

redawg77 12-28-2010 01:26 PM

Speaking of Stone Mountain, the laser light show is definitely worth seeing. It runs through late spring to early fall, if I'm not mistaken. Hiking up the mountain is fun as well, and the round trip up and down can be done in a little over an hour at a leisurely pace.

mojobear 01-30-2011 06:14 PM

Stone Mountain
Underground Atlanta
CNN
Swan House
Lenox Square

ecreel31 01-31-2011 04:06 PM

There is always the mountains too!
Helen is nice.

There is river tubing and rafting during the summer!!!