CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   San Jose (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/san-jose/)
-   -   HIKING/ trails (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/san-jose/hiking-trails-3401/)

absurd840 10-06-2010 09:46 PM

HIKING/ trails

any good viewpoint trails in san jose area that can be driven to, hiked to or walked to? i want great views of the city the bay and preferably not widely known if possible :D

SurfnSnow 10-06-2010 11:31 PM

Go south towards Santa Cruz on 880 and exit Lexington resivour (sp?) and drive past the dam. you'll see parking and a trail head for some good hiking.

T0ast 10-17-2010 08:36 PM

There are fabulous trails all around Monterey. Throw a stick and you will find one. :)
Some of my favorites are just south on the 1. All along the coast, you can pull over and go.

scotthartmann 10-18-2010 02:16 PM

Any one know anything about the Henry W. Coe State Park? Looks like it might be a nice place to camp around SJ. Is free camping allowed?

erik 10-22-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotthartmann (Post 27651)
Any one know anything about the Henry W. Coe State Park? Looks like it might be a nice place to camp around SJ. Is free camping allowed?

I don't think camping is free, but the hiking is great. Be prepared for serious hills. I've gone backpacking a few times there and really liked it.

WhipLash 11-20-2010 12:30 AM

I don't know of any free camping in the bay area. In the Stanislas Nat. Forest (east of the San Joaquin Valley - central valley) you can camp free. You can get a map from the forest service showing all the forest roads with names like 6N27. Some of these roads require a good stout truck and 4x4 isn't a bad idea either. There are many lakes accessable too with good trout fishing.

erik 11-22-2010 03:50 PM

Some good short hike viewpoint trails can be found in the hills between Almaden and South San Jose. There's also good stuff up by Castle Rock, but you have to drive up to Skyline...

parks 11-29-2010 12:28 PM

if you are looking for a view of sj/peninsula, my favorite is Sierra Rd. It is a fantastic bike ride if you are used to hills, but its also not a bad drive and has a few good lookout spots.

misterranger 12-28-2010 01:36 PM

I have been frequenting Almaden Quicksilver County Park for a while now, which is my recommendation. I usually enter from the McAbee entrance, but the Guadalupe Landfill next door, has started to leak some hazmat of some sort and they closed that section of trail.
So, yesterday I entered from the Mockingbird Hill entrance, which has a picnic area and a restroom (the other entrance does not) and ran out of the parking lot. It is a bit steep in some areas, but what a beautiful trail system. Single tracks that meander through the oaks and cross several seasonal creeks on foot bridges.
I will definitely be returning to this park. It looks to stay cool in summer too with the tree cover.

rfrizzsqrd 01-06-2011 12:13 AM

mission peak is good if you take the back trails. i did that back in september and passed nobody