CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   Seattle / Tacoma (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/seattle-tacoma/)
-   -   Things to do in Seattle in winter. (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/seattle-tacoma/things-do-seattle-winter-3544/)

electromage 10-08-2010 02:59 PM

Things to do in Seattle in winter.

When the weather turns cold(er) and wet(ter), it's easy to feel a bit depressed, but I always start thinking about the fun Seattle has to offer.

There is an array of free activities, such as Winterfest at the Seattle Center, watching or following (if you have a boat) the Argosy Christmas Ships, the Westlake Center tree lighting and fireworks, and cruising around looking at people's impressive private light displays.

If you've got money to spend there's the International Auto Show, and Pacific Northwest Ballet's Nutcracker.

So, what are some other fun things that you like to do? Preferably free or cheap :)

bisjoe 10-08-2010 08:35 PM

There are some good hiking trails that stay passable in winter, just a few mud puddles to go around, like near us at Soaring Eagle, and down in Redmond at the watershed preserve on Novelty Hill. There's skiing within 45 minutes drive,
and it's a good time to go to the Museum of Flight. Also the Seattle Art Museum, which now has a Picasso exhibit. Probably what I do most though, is watch football on TV in front of the fireplace.

b3nj4m1n 10-12-2010 06:36 PM

here's a fun thing to do

wait until there's a big snow and the city decides not to plow and sand the roads.

then at night hop in a jeep and enjoy sliding around corners and having all of the city streets to yourself :D

bisjoe 10-12-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b3nj4m1n (Post 23421)
here's a fun thing to do

wait until there's a big snow and the city decides not to plow and sand the roads.

then at night hop in a jeep and enjoy sliding around corners and having all of the city streets to yourself :D

Did that a couple of years ago, on the Eastside hills. ended up going down a hill sideways in my wife's Liberty and had to chain up to get back to the top.:rolleyes:

I hear they will be salting in Seattle this winter.

97powerstroke 10-14-2010 12:15 PM

Hunting keeps me busy at that time of year.

JoonHoss 10-14-2010 04:51 PM

pick up a bag of fresh, warm powdered sugar mini donuts at Pikes Place Daily Dozen, and eat the whole bag (before they stop steaming....)

https://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...209a51d738.jpg

https://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/donut1-2.jpg

MMMMMMM, donuts!

and snowshoeing, followed by Fondue...

https://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...iss_fondue.jpg

MMMMMMM, cheese!

Hoss

comanche13 10-14-2010 08:55 PM

The museum of flight is amazing it is well worth going to visit. Also I had the donuts from pikes place and they are delicious. I'm up in Richmond BC but plan on going to the Boeing plant this winter it looks very interesting to.

Jv89xj 10-15-2010 11:24 AM

I'm from Texas but live here now and I can't wait for the snow since I love snowboarding. Down in TX when winter hits theres nothing to do outside really. There was really no snow to play in and if it did snow its too flat to do anything. I love the NW and I hope I can stay here for the rest of my life.

McBrando 10-15-2010 04:14 PM

Things in Snow

One thing that I love to do is take my dog to the dog park especially when it is covered in snow. She loves playing in the snow and only the truly committed dog owners are there so it is quite a good time!

McBrando

orj 11-04-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jv89xj (Post 25683)
I'm from Texas but live here now and I can't wait for the snow since I love snowboarding. Down in TX when winter hits theres nothing to do outside really. There was really no snow to play in and if it did snow its too flat to do anything. I love the NW and I hope I can stay here for the rest of my life.

Winter can be pretty dreary around here. If you like to snowboard you're in luck though. To keep yourself pepped up in the winter just remember: If it's raining down here that means it's snowing up there! Head to the mountains!

Philrose 11-16-2010 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBrando (Post 26107)
One thing that I love to do is take my dog to the dog park especially when it is covered in snow. She loves playing in the snow and only the truly committed dog owners are there so it is quite a good time!

McBrando

Magnuson definitely deserves it's own thread! I will take care of that now, I love that lace and so does the hound.

ellijo89 11-16-2010 12:44 PM

Man its been to long since Ive been to the museum of flight. Always entertaining.

Fuzzmaster 11-16-2010 04:21 PM

There's lots of free or cheap sledding options up Snoqualmie pass!

Prime 11-16-2010 11:36 PM

Glad I found this thread! This will be our second winter here and we didn't do much last winter.

Did have a small snowshoeing trip up in Snoqualmie Pass last year. That was fun.

JoonHoss 11-17-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prime (Post 38635)
Glad I found this thread! This will be our second winter here and we didn't do much last winter.

Did have a small snowshoeing trip up in Snoqualmie Pass last year. That was fun.

if you enjoy snowshoeing, or that general type of outdoor activity, you really should check out the Mountaineers

Welcome to The Mountaineers Tacoma Branch

a great group of people!

we went on one of their guided snowshoe/fondue dinners at Crystal two years ago... we had a blast!

Hoss

rasears 11-19-2010 07:12 PM

I'm one of those who heads up hill in winter. Many times when you're up on the mountain, you're actually above the clouds and in the sun!

Cap'n Crunch Killa 11-19-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jv89xj (Post 25683)

I'm originally from Texas also. I've been here since 2002 and that has been the longest I have lived in one place ever in my whole life. I was into snowboarding when I first moved here but now that I'm getting older, the falls hurt just a little longer than they use to. I'm now in the process of inheriting a sailboat and that should breath a fresh new breath into living in the PNW.

mudshark 11-21-2010 12:15 PM

Brew and drink beer. 'nuf said.

worldzfree 11-22-2010 05:40 PM

mountain biking is year-round sport near seattle. tokul, black diamond, etc.

jmo88 11-22-2010 06:22 PM

Geez. If it keeps snowing like this you can sled down the steep streets. No one should be driving in this anyway, so you should be safe .

JoonHoss 11-23-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmo88 (Post 42562)
Geez. If it keeps snowing like this you can sled down the steep streets. No one should be driving in this anyway, so you should be safe .

except those of us who have to drive in it for a living....

Hoss

shakes97 11-23-2010 01:38 PM

I'm planning a move to Seattle in the Spring, but am visiting for a couple two week stints this winter to (among other things) experience what the city has to offer in the way of weather and events. This forum is going to be a great help! Thanks, all!

Ruffbrew 11-24-2010 10:52 AM

Best thing to do in winter

"Gallaghers where you brew" it's a good way to brew beer without all the work, it's fun, and they do all the hard stuff, they also have a tasting room

cerevisi 11-27-2010 04:09 AM

Chain up , go to work, go home and brew/drink beer.... seriously... when did we loose our manhood and become so vagini'ish

darind 11-28-2010 07:00 PM

Snoqualmie

ChshreCat 11-28-2010 07:16 PM

Find a nice steep hill, set up a video camera and then post to youtube!

fluxfoxtoo 11-29-2010 12:15 AM

You can always walk the dog, but make sure you take your umbrella! Seriously, they have some pretty good shows at the Valley Center Stage in North Bend of all places.
Valley Center Stage
The Conservatory, Seattle Asian Art Museum and all that are up on top of Capitol Hill and well worth a look, too.

SMOA 12-03-2010 08:15 PM

My favorite thing to do in the winter is drink! With all the great breweries around Washington, there is never a shortage of beer.

bspeta525 12-08-2010 02:19 PM

Brew beer, drink beer, repeat.

Work on the house - getting near the end of a drawn out laundry room re-do - thanks leaky water heater!

It'll probably be another year till the little one is ready to try skis, so none of that this year. Perhaps we'll have to find some of those good sledding areas up Snoqualmie Pass. Any suggestions? I've only been around a couple years, and all I know of is the tubing at Snoqualmie.

mikep151 12-09-2010 11:03 AM

Snow sports are a big draw...especially this winter. (On knees bowing repeatedly to the snow gods). With Stevens Pass, Snoqualmie, and Crystal easily accessible from West side, we really are fortunate in this state to have such opportunity. Both Stevens and Snoqualmie can be reached from the East side, but Chinook Pass closes direct access to Crystal from Eastern Washington

freefallnick 12-17-2010 02:03 PM

Playing pool is always a good winter past time.

Travis 12-27-2010 11:47 AM

Hunker down and look out the window. Seattle in the winter is that wet sort of cold. But on the plus side they got some of the best donuts and baked goods around. So at least you wont be disappointed in what you're eating while you're stuck inside.

kidneight 12-27-2010 03:44 PM

things to do

Snowboard! snowshoe, winter camping, sleding, 4 wheeling, snowmobiling...

Ratrod 12-27-2010 05:41 PM

have lunch on the ferry and take some playing cards to pass the time.

noexit 12-28-2010 02:46 PM

There's talk about the Museum of Flight, but Boeing also has a tour of their 747 and 777 lines in Everett that is pretty amazing. That place is so huge is hurt my head just looking at it. Future of Flight - Aviation Center & Boeing Tour

brewfish 12-28-2010 08:55 PM

Brew beer, so when the sun comes out you have beer to take along

Mumblewood 12-28-2010 10:29 PM

I like to snowboard, go Jeepin and work on the Jeep in the winter.

xice 12-29-2010 11:34 AM

The Seattle aquarium is always a good visit. Been out of the area for a while but when I grew up the family would plan on a day into Seattle, we lived out in the Kent/Renton area, and depending on the weather we would either go to the Woodland park zoo, aquarium or Science center. The woodland park zoo is even getting some good indoor exhibits so that you don't have to spend the whole time outside.

yewberry 12-30-2010 02:10 PM

Because it seems unlikely anyone else will mention it, I'm tapping my bigleaf maple trees and freezing the sap for steam-boiling later this winter. You can tap maples, alders, birches, and I've heard tell about tapping willows and cottonwood, too. The bigleaf sap is a little lower in saccharides than sugar maples, but it makes dandy, delicious syrup. :)

wmpiehl 12-30-2010 10:41 PM

Go to the Bellevue Botanical Gardens. They do a really nice light display. It runs for only the holiday season though.