CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/los-angeles/)
-   -   Cq cq cq (Ham radio check-in) (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/los-angeles/cq-cq-cq-ham-radio-check-3711/)

karateka 10-13-2010 10:10 PM

Cq cq cq (Ham radio check-in)
 
Roll call for all area Hams.....


I am KC6WTA from Bakersfield, ca. I am a General, and I am in the process of putting radios into my 87 wrangler.

Any other hams on here?

havasu 10-13-2010 11:05 PM

There are lots of hams on here, but can't tell you if there are any ham radio operators!:p

karateka 10-14-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havasu (Post 24215)
There are lots of hams on here, but can't tell you if there are any ham radio operators!:p

Case in point?? ;)

rkwfxd 10-21-2010 09:26 PM

I have a buddy who is big into ham radio. I started studying for my license but then decided I only wanted it for off roading and if I am the only one in my group with a ham radio when everyone else has a cb then it is not really worth it.

I still think about getting my license but just dont think I would use it much at all.

havasu 10-21-2010 10:04 PM

I remember almost 50 years, my uncle was HRO. Since I have this strange thing about numbers, his call numbers were "KKX 5009". Are these numbers listed anywhere? He died in the late 60's, and would love to learn more.

AC6RH 10-27-2010 04:49 PM

I'm a Ham located in the Valencia / Santa Clarita area.

AC6RH 10-27-2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havasu (Post 29622)
I remember almost 50 years, my uncle was HRO. Since I have this strange thing about numbers, his call numbers were "KKX 5009". Are these numbers listed anywhere? He died in the late 60's, and would love to learn more.

That's a CB radio callsign.

havasu 10-27-2010 05:56 PM

Thanks, I had no idea!

karateka 10-28-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkwfxd (Post 29601)
I have a buddy who is big into ham radio. I started studying for my license but then decided I only wanted it for off roading and if I am the only one in my group with a ham radio when everyone else has a cb then it is not really worth it.

I still think about getting my license but just dont think I would use it much at all.

Keep in mind that with things like repeaters, echolink, IRLP, and HF a Ham can easily talk thousands of miles. A CB is good for MAYBE 5. You may be able to talk to other off roaders with a CB, but you better hope there is one within 5 miles or so that just happens to be listening on that channel.

I am an off road guy too; My ham radio has saved my keister more than once.

AC6RH 10-28-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkwfxd (Post 29601)
I have a buddy who is big into ham radio. I started studying for my license but then decided I only wanted it for off roading and if I am the only one in my group with a ham radio when everyone else has a cb then it is not really worth it.

I still think about getting my license but just dont think I would use it much at all.

CB is cool and useful, and I see your point about not needing the Ham ticket for off roading. However, when you're stuck in traffic in the big city, having a VHF radio is great for real time traffic reports, etc. You'd only need the Technician license and that's a pretty easy test.

Party On!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.