CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   Philadelphia (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/philadelphia/)
-   -   Top 5 places to visit in Philadelphia. (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/philadelphia/top-5-places-visit-philadelphia-3724/)

kingsblue 10-14-2010 08:59 AM

Top 5 places to visit in Philadelphia.

I have a buddy that lives just outside of Philly and I haven't seen much of the city. What are the top 5 places that are a must-go? Sights and restaurants or anything else cool.

altierior 10-15-2010 05:05 AM

it depends on what you are into.

a MUST SEE is Independence Hall. even if you are not into history, it is awe-inspiring to walk through the halls where people like thomas jefferson, ben franklin, john adams, and george washington walked, and where democracy as the world knows it was born. across he street is the Liberty Bell.

just across the river (in Camden, NJ, which you otherwise want to avoid at the risk of your life) is the Battleship New Jersey and the New Jersey State Aquarium (they are right next to each other and both excellent).

the Franklin Institute is a great science museum, as is the Academy of Natural Sciences, which is right across the street. also within walking distance from those is the Art Museum, which is world-class. and there's that whole 'Rocky Balboa running up the Art Museum steps' thing that visitors like to do.

at night, it's always 'interesting' to do some bar-hopping on South Street. caveat: drinks are stupid expensive.

repodad2005 10-15-2010 12:11 PM

You have Penns Landing which has a maritime musuem, a sub and battleship tours. The the scenic area's of Kelly Drive. The Phila Zoo is also good. I agree with Alterior about the historic district around 4th and Market streets.

hzryr61 10-15-2010 10:27 PM

What ever you end up doing, you should try the Vietnam restaurant Vietnam Restaurant

Get the Spring Rolls, you won't be disappointed! Also, Vietnamese food is not all exotic with snake and dog, it is actually pretty plain. They do have some spicy stuff too.

Or Ralph's for Italian Ralph’s Italian Restaurant

Navigation tip:
Even numbered streets for 1 to 13 are one way SOUTH
Odd numbered streets for 1 to 13 are one way NORTH
Even numbered streets for 15 and up are one way NORTH
Odd numbered streets for 15 and up are one way SOUTH
14th street is Broad street, I avoid it because of the turn restrictions on it

E/W streets are named after trees and alternate EAST/WEST

*please note- EVERY rule has exceptions...

Pay attention to parking. They got rid of meters and use a kiosk system.

Have fun!

Whybu1 10-19-2010 06:13 AM

Goota do the Independence Hall tour and see the Liberty Bell as well. South Street is touristy but a good time. Don't forget to grab a real cheesesteak. Boy I miss Philly.

Luckrider 10-19-2010 11:03 PM

My cousin now lives just outside Philly and we went to visit him. Independence hall was really cool, and the tickets were free. It was cool to go to the museum and see the rocky statue. That is really great for any Rocky fan, and it was all my cousin could think about for the whole day. The Liberty Bell was also a nice site. IIRC, it is actually mounted in a way that will still allow it to swing.

hughes278 10-25-2010 11:11 AM

I got engaged in Philly. At a place called Love park, it had a pink fountain. While I was there I remember some of the things I liked were the road with all the country flags on it. and the strip going to the docks with all the shops (don't know the names of either)

SHOOTER13 10-27-2010 12:32 PM

My 2 cents...

Independence Mall ( Liberty Bell )

Betsy Ross House

Philadelphia Museum of Art

Franklin Institute

South Street

...and try to catch a Phillies, Eagles, Flyers, or Sixers game !!

Luckrider 10-27-2010 12:38 PM

^pretty good list there.

PhillyPyro 10-27-2010 09:04 PM

Art Museum Steps on a clear night is a beautiful view of the city. and Chinks Steaks @ Benner st and Torresdale ave in the Northeast.

Corduroy 11-04-2010 07:19 AM

If you're into writing; the Edgar Allen Poe house. And avoid South Street at certain times of night. Olde City has some great nightlife, but is crazy expensive.

AtomicPunk 11-19-2010 09:41 AM

Monk's. Just sayin.

lebshiff21 11-19-2010 10:38 AM

South St. has become somewhat of a disaster over the past several years. I would say:

Italian Market
Reading Terminal Market
Eastern State Penitentiary
Get a cheesesteak, doesn't really matter where. I like Tony Luke's.
Independence Hall/Washington Park area is great.

rflail 11-19-2010 11:38 AM

Mutter Museum is interesting

RippinLt 11-22-2010 04:46 PM

broad and market after the phillies clinch any title

Paulsan 11-22-2010 04:56 PM

Eulogy's is a good place to start.

MontcoPA 11-22-2010 08:32 PM

The Stoogeum (in Lower Gwynedd Township)... although its only open about once a month. The Trolley Car Diner. A Phillies game. Olde City. Any one of the vast number of museums in and around the city.

Philadelphia is hugely diverse, and you can have a top 5 tailored to anyone's interests.

MRbutlertron 11-22-2010 11:12 PM

1. Penn's Landing
2. Philadelphia Zoo
3. South Street
4. Citizens Bank Park
5. Franklin Institute

In no particular order...

crimelabguy 11-23-2010 01:10 PM

+1 for Mutter Museum and the US Mint.

jstaylor1968 11-23-2010 01:14 PM

Independence Hall

South Street

China Town

Art Museum Area (has Art Museum, Rodin Museum, Franklin Institute, and Academy of Natural Sciences)

US Philadelphia Mint

izzydaangler 11-24-2010 04:07 AM

For a great hike in the woods, go to Valley Green in the Wissahickon creek.

stblindtiger 11-30-2010 10:46 PM

Take a leisurely Kayak trip from the Walnut St dock... paddle up to the Waterworks, or down to the Grey's Ferry bridge. It's pretty crazy how alone and hidden you will feel in the middle of the city. Great fishing by the Art Museum too... Just stay away from the floating "white fish."

Old City, Manayunk, South Street, take in a Phillies, Eagles, Flyers game...

danger 12-01-2010 10:40 AM

Philly has great architecture if you're into that. Just start walking from the Delaware River and go west. You'll notice how the architecture has changed over time from the modest row homes of the colonial era to the gaudy victorian homes in university city and the progression in between! Don't miss the 2nd Bank of the United States (one of the greatest example of neoclassicism in america), the PSFS bldg (Lowe's Hotel) (best free view of the city), Fine Arts Library on Penn's campus (Frank Furness IS Philadelphia).

argyjr 12-01-2010 02:32 PM

Mac's Old Town Tavern in Olde City is great! The owners are Rob McElhenney and Kaitlin Olson who play Mac & Dee on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Great food and beer!!!

aflyershckyfan 12-01-2010 11:53 PM

Eastern State is a cool place with some history another cool place is Fort Mifflin and nobody ever talks about it i was there over a year ago and they spoke of closing because not enough business these place may not be top 5 but still great places to visit

buddtownbrew 12-02-2010 02:12 PM

For the ultimate sandwich, go to Paesanos.
Go to the Mutter Museum of Medical Oddities.
Eat brunch at Cafe Estelle.
Drink a beer at Nodding Head Brewery.
Have an exquisitely made cocktail at Franklin Mortgage and Investment.
Go on a mural tour of the city.

chrisdb 12-03-2010 04:51 PM

the japanese house at fairmount park, the waterworks by boathouse row, the belmont plateau at sunrise.. or sunset

seanovision 12-08-2010 09:21 PM

1. Philadelphia Brewing Company
2. Yards Brewery
3. Victory
4. Nodding Head
5. Monks

tomandjerry00 12-18-2010 03:44 PM

Go on a brewery tour at one of Philly's many breweries (Yards, Yuengling, etc), check out south st on a nice spring/summer afternoon, get dinner at a nice BYO in China Town while strolling through a multitude of delicious Asian bakeries and stores full of who-knows-what, walk the Art Museum to center city, UPenn's Anthropology museum is pretty incredible and not well known, Independence hall is great too and surrounded by nice bars and restaurants.

Squamer 12-21-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomandjerry00 (Post 56366)
Go on a brewery tour at one of Philly's many breweries (Yards, Yuengling, etc), check out south st on a nice spring/summer afternoon, get dinner at a nice BYO in China Town while strolling through a multitude of delicious Asian bakeries and stores full of who-knows-what, walk the Art Museum to center city, UPenn's Anthropology museum is pretty incredible and not well known, Independence hall is great too and surrounded by nice bars and restaurants.

If speaking of Asian-Influenced Cuisine.....

1. Buddakan
-325 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19106 (215) 574-9440

2. Siam Cuisine
- 925 Arch Street Philadelphia, PA 19107-2404 (215) 922-7135

3. Banana Leaf
-1009 Arch Street Philadelphia, PA 19107 (215) 592-8288

All three of these are great! Siam and Banana Leaf are great for lunch. Try Pad Thai at either one, you won't be dissapointed. Buddakan is a great place for an anniversary or special occasion. Aged Kobe beef........to die for.

snes2go 12-23-2010 01:54 AM

1. Independence Hall
2. Jim's Cheesesteaks
3. Chinatown
4. Italian Market
5. Lincoln Financial Field

Mackjeep 01-01-2011 12:26 PM

Franklins Fountain for ice cream

jmt212 01-07-2011 10:05 AM

Grab a cheesesteak from mama's pizzeria on belmont avenue and then head down to a phillies, flyers, or eagles game!! Guaranteed to be a good time!

waddsworth 01-07-2011 12:30 PM

RTM - if only for Dutch Eating Place and Tommy DiNic's