CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   New York City (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/new-york-city/)
-   -   NYC Wrangler owners check in (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/new-york-city/nyc-wrangler-owners-check-3810/)

Tchman46 10-15-2010 11:09 AM

NYC Wrangler owners check in

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0
Mods :stock

rmlynn 10-15-2010 02:02 PM

Year: 2007
Engine: 3.8
Mods: Rnventions J0211 - Roll Over Button - Quadratec and Mirror Re-location Brackets.

Joejoeshabobo 10-17-2010 08:34 AM

04 tj unlimited. 4.0 auto w/ 4" lift 33"x12.5 bf goodrich ko's

ironlung 10-18-2010 11:18 AM

97 w/ 2.5 stick

Luckrider 10-18-2010 01:57 PM

2004 Rubicon Auto - Stock with bed-liner in the tub.

Green97Jeep 10-19-2010 09:57 PM

I have 3, all running and driven daily. 1997 sahara, 91 & 95 YJ's

idolax 11-03-2010 11:04 AM

Why r we here...jeep forum could have an area place. 92 yj dead in the driveway new/used motor is going in soon.

Luckrider 11-03-2010 11:09 AM

Jeep forum does have location specific areas actually.

Hkenny90 12-29-2010 01:15 PM

Lifted on 35' skid plates underneath, cb, other 4x4 equipment

Loamy 01-18-2011 02:44 PM

2002 TJ, 5.7L, NV4500, 4.3:1 Atlas II with tummy tuck on 35s.

bobrio 01-20-2011 07:18 AM

Soon to be 2011 rubicon...buying one next month

m615dan 01-20-2011 09:24 PM

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 almost completely mint..... close enough to a wrangler, haha

snakeroo 01-24-2011 01:19 PM

1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ I6 4.0L Blue =o)
In Chicago now, but I go back to NYC from time to time!

AdamAnt 01-24-2011 08:38 PM

2006 LJ
BB - 32's

forthetimebeing 02-03-2011 12:50 PM

NYC Wrangler owner's check in

2006 Wrangler Unlimited 2 door.
I live in NY, NY but keep the jeep upstate for the time being.

AQUAMAN_82 02-14-2011 09:48 AM

02 TJ Sahara, 4.0L, Manual.....I've put on a Body Armor front bumper, and a Congo Cage top rack with Basket so far

dukedlf 02-15-2011 09:17 AM

93 yj here.. :p

Roadster72 02-18-2011 03:04 PM

92 YJ 4 cyl 5 speed stock 234000 miles and growing!!

markdaniel213 04-01-2011 02:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.0
Mods : 4" suspension, 2" body lift - 36" Pro Comp tires - AirRaid intake - Hesco throttle body spacer - custom stereo system with two 10" subs, amps, satellite radio & Kenwood deck

markdaniel213 04-01-2011 02:37 PM

...also...does anyone have a hardtop Wrangler here in NYC? how do you handle it? i want to get one for various reasons (mainly vehicle security) - but have NO idea how it'd work living in Manhattan (in the "standard" apartment here). how do you get it off & where do you store it? back in Texas, I'd simply install a simple hoist in my garage...but that's somewhat impossible here.

thoughts? ideas? anything is much appreciated!

bobrio 04-04-2011 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markdaniel213 (Post 96389)
...also...does anyone have a hardtop Wrangler here in NYC? how do you handle it? i want to get one for various reasons (mainly vehicle security) - but have NO idea how it'd work living in Manhattan (in the "standard" apartment here). how do you get it off & where do you store it? back in Texas, I'd simply install a simple hoist in my garage...but that's somewhat impossible here.

thoughts? ideas? anything is much appreciated!

Rent a storage unit for the summer months and throw it in there.

I am sure you can find one out in Jersey or Queens or BK thats cheaper then Manhattan.

bobrio 04-04-2011 05:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobrio (Post 72079)
Soon to be 2011 rubicon...buying one next month

Well I didn't buy a 2011 RUBI, I ended up with a 09 X due to a deal that I could not pass up. Haven't been able to take any real good pictures, all I got is the one I took when I picked it up.

markdaniel213 04-06-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobrio (Post 96776)
Rent a storage unit for the summer months and throw it in there.

I am sure you can find one out in Jersey or Queens or BK thats cheaper then Manhattan.

Thanks for the feedback! I have indeed thought about renting a storage unit...but haven't really done much research on it...yet :)

One thing I'd have to find is one that wouldn't mind me setting up a hoist inside...so if you have any ideas/thoughts around that, I'd love to hear them.

Also - one reason for desiring a hardtop living here in NYC is for security. I've seen SO many soft tops (both on Jeeps and other convertible cars) that have been slashed and trashed. Any thoughts and/or ideas about having a soft top Jeep & street parking here in NYC (I live in Manhattan)?

Thank you again! :)

markdaniel213 04-06-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forthetimebeing (Post 78901)
2006 Wrangler Unlimited 2 door.
I live in NY, NY but keep the jeep upstate for the time being.

Just curious - where do you live in NYC? Have you street-parked your Wrangler here in the city (either overnight or for any extended period of time)? Doe you have a soft top or a hard top? If you have a soft top AND have street-parked it, curious if you've had any issue with anyone messing with it (due to ease of access)?

Thanks much!

markdaniel213 04-06-2011 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobrio (Post 96778)
Well I didn't buy a 2011 RUBI, I ended up with a 09 X due to a deal that I could not pass up. Haven't been able to take any real good pictures, all I got is the one I took when I picked it up.

She's a beaut! Great find :) DEFINITELY a good foundation to build an AWESOME Jeep on!

Just curious - would you mind me asking what the details are on this deal you couldn't pass up?

Thanks!

bobrio 04-08-2011 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markdaniel213 (Post 97225)
She's a beaut! Great find :) DEFINITELY a good foundation to build an AWESOME Jeep on!

Just curious - would you mind me asking what the details are on this deal you couldn't pass up?

Thanks!

My step dad is a GM at a dealer ship in woodside, this came in with 17xxx Miles and i was pretty much able to pick it up from him for cost + detailing. Bought it for a little over 19 and got new car financing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by markdaniel213 (Post 97225)
Thanks for the feedback! I have indeed thought about renting a storage unit...but haven't really done much research on it...yet

One thing I'd have to find is one that wouldn't mind me setting up a hoist inside...so if you have any ideas/thoughts around that, I'd love to hear them.

Also - one reason for desiring a hardtop living here in NYC is for security. I've seen SO many soft tops (both on Jeeps and other convertible cars) that have been slashed and trashed. Any thoughts and/or ideas about having a soft top Jeep & street parking here in NYC (I live in Manhattan)?

Thank you again!

From the rental places I've been in, there is really no place to mount a hoist since all the units are open on top. But I have seen some unique hardtop racks built for hardtop storage. I would imagine that it would be better to store it vertically since it will take up less square footage and the smaller the unit the cheaper. Good luck with the searching

markdaniel213 04-08-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobrio (Post 97611)
From the rental places I've been in, there is really no place to mount a hoist since all the units are open on top. But I have seen some unique hardtop racks built for hardtop storage. I would imagine that it would be better to store it vertically since it will take up less square footage and the smaller the unit the cheaper. Good luck with the searching

That definitely does make sense. I'll have to see what I can come up with.

Any thoughts on having a soft top in the city? Have you (or anyone you known) had any issues with it? The main reason I'd get a hardtop is for security...and because I've heard stories of Jeepers in the city having their soft tops slashed.

Any thoughts around this would be much appreciated! :)

Loamy 04-09-2011 05:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I garage park. If you get a garage with an assigned spot you can usually store doors / roof panels leaning against the wall with now complaints. It's pricey but it makes life a lot easier.

Also regarding the hardtop, I have a bestop 2 piece where you can remove the panel over the driver and passenger. It breaks down into a smaller package because of that if you have to store it. I actually fit it in a 6x3 1/2 foot storage bin in the basement of my other apartment building.

And softops? I wouldn't consider having a real door or locking it. Anything that can be stolen out of my jeep can be replaced cheaper than a window panel. I run soft doors in the summer without locks. If they're going to be lazy and cut my windows instead of undoing a zipper, let them be lazier and just use the door handle. All my sound equipment/amps are buried in my locked center console and/or locked and in a tuffy overhead storage console. You don't know its there unless it's on.

markdaniel213 04-09-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loamy (Post 97793)
I garage park. If you get a garage with an assigned spot you can usually store doors / roof panels leaning against the wall with now complaints. It's pricey but it makes life a lot easier.

Also regarding the hardtop, I have a bestop 2 piece where you can remove the panel over the driver and passenger. It breaks down into a smaller package because of that if you have to store it. I actually fit it in a 6x3 1/2 foot storage bin in the basement of my other apartment building.

And softops? I wouldn't consider having a real door or locking it. Anything that can be stolen out of my jeep can be replaced cheaper than a window panel. I run soft doors in the summer without locks. If they're going to be lazy and cut my windows instead of undoing a zipper, let them be lazier and just use the door handle. All my sound equipment/amps are buried in my locked center console and/or locked and in a tuffy overhead storage console. You don't know its there unless it's on.

another excellent idea! i don't live in a building that has a garage...but there are a few garages in the area i could look at...and i don't think they're too terribly expensive.

one concern i'd have about a garage is height. your jeep looks built up (and nice job on that, btw). how tall is she? any problems with a lack of height in the garage? mine has a total of about 7 inches of lift and 36" tires. Some garages (any that weren't built in the last 5 or 10 years) in Austin, Texas had a major lack of height which made it impossible to get in 'em. Thoughts?

And thanks again! Any more pics of your Jeep? :)

Loamy 04-11-2011 05:03 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by markdaniel213 (Post 97822)
another excellent idea! i don't live in a building that has a garage...but there are a few garages in the area i could look at...and i don't think they're too terribly expensive.

one concern i'd have about a garage is height. your jeep looks built up (and nice job on that, btw). how tall is she? any problems with a lack of height in the garage? mine has a total of about 7 inches of lift and 36" tires. Some garages (any that weren't built in the last 5 or 10 years) in Austin, Texas had a major lack of height which made it impossible to get in 'em. Thoughts?

And thanks again! Any more pics of your Jeep? :)

I'm about 6'11" in clearance. I'm at 6" of lift on 35s. I have to keep the CB antenna in the back for most places although my garage is actually tall enough for it. In Manhattan, I can't get in about 75% of the decks, but it's usually not too bad (although I did gouge my hardtop in December). It all depends on the boro. Usually outside of Manhattan you can get indoor parking for around 150-200 if you look hard enough.

I prefer a lot with my own space so I don't have to call ahead etc. I've done that before and they aren't too thrilled trying to move that thing around with a locked rear diff. That kind of lot is a huge hassle... even when you call ahead you still have to wait 15 minutes for them to pull the car out.

My friend rents a garage attached to an old brownstone for 200 as well. You can find a lot of those on Craigslist. That might not be a bad way to go because it seems like a lot of those garages have decent clearance. And if you need to work on something you can usually get away with it as long as you're not making too much noise and getting yourself kicked out.

I don't really have any recent trail pictures (broke too many things in the past year) but I have a couple pictures from a shop up in Portchester:

markdaniel213 04-11-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loamy (Post 97990)
I'm about 6'11" in clearance. I'm at 6" of lift on 35s. I have to keep the CB antenna in the back for most places although my garage is actually tall enough for it. In Manhattan, I can't get in about 75% of the decks, but it's usually not too bad (although I did gouge my hardtop in December). It all depends on the boro. Usually outside of Manhattan you can get indoor parking for around 150-200 if you look hard enough.

I prefer a lot with my own space so I don't have to call ahead etc. I've done that before and they aren't too thrilled trying to move that thing around with a locked rear diff. That kind of lot is a huge hassle... even when you call ahead you still have to wait 15 minutes for them to pull the car out.

My friend rents a garage attached to an old brownstone for 200 as well. You can find a lot of those on Craigslist. That might not be a bad way to go because it seems like a lot of those garages have decent clearance. And if you need to work on something you can usually get away with it as long as you're not making too much noise and getting yourself kicked out.

I don't really have any recent trail pictures (broke too many things in the past year) but I have a couple pictures from a shop up in Portchester:

awesome feedback! thanks much for that. i hadn't ever heard of being able to possibly rent a garage attached to a brownstone. i'll definitely check that out. the idea of actually having a space to work on it is quite attractive (keeping the noise down, of course :)

and thanks for posting the photos. she's quite a beaut indeed! curious though, what is that bit sticking up above the hood right in front of the windshield (in front of the passenger-side windshield wiper)? some sort of air intake? or...something else? what might it be (and what make & model)?

thanks again!

Loamy 04-12-2011 03:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by markdaniel213 (Post 98050)
awesome feedback! thanks much for that. i hadn't ever heard of being able to possibly rent a garage attached to a brownstone. i'll definitely check that out. the idea of actually having a space to work on it is quite attractive (keeping the noise down, of course :)

and thanks for posting the photos. she's quite a beaut indeed! curious though, what is that bit sticking up above the hood right in front of the windshield (in front of the passenger-side windshield wiper)? some sort of air intake? or...something else? what might it be (and what make & model)?

thanks again!

Haha... thanks. That's a safari pre-cleaner sitting up there. It pulls most of the dust / water out before anything reaches the filter (which is actually a conical filter that is recessed within that intake tube). I don't like how all the snorkels are routed on the side of the car where you can rip it off if you get caught up on something so it's routed through the cowl. If you're outside of the car you can actually hear it pull in air. The Jeep is an '02 TJ with a different drive train... 5.7 L Hemi with a NV4500 and 4.3 Atlas II.

markdaniel213 04-12-2011 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loamy (Post 98180)
Haha... thanks. That's a safari pre-cleaner sitting up there. It pulls most of the dust / water out before anything reaches the filter (which is actually a conical filter that is recessed within that intake tube). I don't like how all the snorkels are routed on the side of the car where you can rip it off if you get caught up on something so it's routed through the cowl. If you're outside of the car you can actually hear it pull in air. The Jeep is an '02 TJ with a different drive train... 5.7 L Hemi with a NV4500 and 4.3 Atlas II.

wait...this Jeep of yours...the one in the photos above...the one with this safari pre-cleaner...this Jeep has a Hemi...V-8?? :O and WHERE are the photos of this massive engine??

i've oft thought about replacing the 4.0 straight-6 in my Jeep when (and if ) it ever dies (i swear that engine was built to run eternally!)

but yes - i (and i'm sure "we") would love to see some photos of your V-8 conversion in your Wrangler, if ya don't mind sharing :)

Loamy 04-13-2011 05:24 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by markdaniel213 (Post 98190)
wait...this Jeep of yours...the one in the photos above...the one with this safari pre-cleaner...this Jeep has a Hemi...V-8?? :O and WHERE are the photos of this massive engine??

i've oft thought about replacing the 4.0 straight-6 in my Jeep when (and if ) it ever dies (i swear that engine was built to run eternally!)

but yes - i (and i'm sure "we") would love to see some photos of your V-8 conversion in your Wrangler, if ya don't mind sharing :)

I'll try not to hijack the thread here but...

The conversion was done at Mad Dog Service up on Port Chester. They do amazing custom work. I had blown a 4" hole on the side of my block and felt it was the time to go a little bigger. I had already had the nv4500 and atlas from a couple years back when I went through my 2nd np231. Labor etc. can add up but I still don't get how an atlas is cheaper than a re manufactured np231 from a dealer. The nv4500 is very strong but it is a truck box so it appreciates a slower shift or a double clutch.

In the picture from below you can see two sets of manifolds with the driver side bank crossing under the bell housing. With everything under the hood, you can't see much of the engine (especially with the intake tube bending around through the cowl). I have a couple photos but everything is pretty tight under the hood so there isn't really much you can capture. In the last picture, you can tell the hemi was the one that came in the trucks because the air intake is at the rear of the motor. The car had the throttle body at the front. There is a 1" body lift required to clear the firewall and the transmission and transfer case shift about 3" forward from there original position. The computer has to be swapped along with the gas tank / emissions equipment from a 2005 or newer jeep so you don't have a constant engine light on. My Jeep was a tricky install because most of the hemi's are going in with automatic transmissions. I wanted to keep the NV4500 and every conversion part is geared towards the automatics so pretty much nothing bolted right up. It was a lot of parts to make it work but it certainly has given the TJ a whole new character.

markdaniel213 04-14-2011 01:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loamy (Post 98180)

@Loamy - concerning your snorkle pre-cleaner...what make & model is it?? i've searched around but can't seem to find any that don't route up the side of the Jeep. i LOVE yours...and would love to find one similar (read: "the EXACT same" :)

Thanks much!

Loamy 04-15-2011 05:12 AM

I don't think anyone makes a TJ specific kit. There is a JK specific product from River Raider:
Expedition Snorkel

For the TJ there are a bunch of writeups on Jeep Forum:
Hummer Snorkel Complete - JeepForum.com
It seems a lot of the guys are using something round for the filter like an old Ford Windstar airbox.

The precleaner is pretty standard. Safari and AEV make a similar unit:
AEV Conversions 40306041AA - AEV Snorkel Pre-Filter Top for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Or if you want it to be pretty like mine (which by the way is my only shiny part on the whole jeep) call up Jon at Mad Dog Service. Mad Dog Service | 914.937.8088 He put that together for me when he was dropping in the new engine. All he would have to do is use a couple of different bends to route it to the intake on the straight six which is over on the drivers side rather then in the middle.