CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   Washington (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/washington/)
-   -   Open Carry Movement Growing (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/washington/open-carry-movement-growing-4308/)

WSRepublic 11-02-2010 12:02 PM

Open Carry Movement Growing
 
Hey y'all. As a member of the Open Carry movement, I feel it is my duty to inform the uninformed about the need to open carry to remind those who would violate our rights that we are still a free people.

We cannot allow the populace to forget that it is every person's inalienable right to defend themselves by and and all arms, and that this right is codified in the US Constitution and the Washington State Constitution as well.

So open carry every chance you get.

Bender 11-07-2010 01:39 PM

While I fully respect our rights to open carry, I only concealed carry unless in the mountains. I prefer to keep my element of surprise. I carry everywhere, everyday without fail, But I dont want anyone to know I have it.

I know its a principle thing, but I dont see an advantage to open carry vs concealed.

Jake7 11-07-2010 01:54 PM

Me neither. It's too flashy, and I've got two kids - so I can appreciate that perhaps some people don't want their kids to see a gun. It just makes some people uncomfortable in general, and that's fine.

I don't see any advantage to open-carry. I can get to mine under my jacket just as fast. :)

winds-of-change 11-07-2010 05:56 PM

I don't carry at all because of where I live but if I could carry in any fashion I chose, it would be concealed.

havasu 11-07-2010 06:10 PM

Are you referring to carrying a loaded or unloaded weapon?

In California, laws like the one posted below prohibit carrying a loaded weapon. It is nice to see other states allowing this.

12031. (a) (1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when
he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a
vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an
incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in
a prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

(e) In order to determine whether or not a firearm is loaded for the
purpose of enforcing this section, peace officers are authorized to
examine any firearm carried by anyone on his or her person or in a
vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an
incorporated city or prohibited area of an unincorporated territory.
Refusal to allow a peace officer to inspect a firearm pursuant to
this section constitutes probable cause for arrest for violation of
this section.

Keith 11-07-2010 07:35 PM

So Washington is an Open Carry State or your just advocating people do it?

Texas is NOT an open carry State which is odd but there is a growing group trying to get it an open carry State.

I am an avid 2nd Amendment supporter but open carrying I have mixed opinions on.

Jake7 11-07-2010 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 35424)
So Washington is an Open Carry State or your just advocating people do it?

Texas is NOT an open carry State which is odd but there is a growing group trying to get it an open carry State.

I am an avid 2nd Amendment supporter but open carrying I have mixed opinions on.



I'm the same way - I'm even incorporating that factor into the decision of where I'm going to live after the Corps. I very much believe that I should be able to carry a firearm and protect myself.

However, I, too have mixed opinions on open carry.

bisjoe 11-07-2010 09:10 PM

Our laws in WA state are basically that if it's not specifically forbidden, then it's legal. Unfortunately that can be open to interpretation, and open carry is pushing the limits some. Since state law doesn't specify, this law is sometimes used to cite open carry proponents as soon as someone calls the police:

RCW 9.41.270: ?It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.?

Carrying concealed (with permit of course) is a lot less likely to cause trouble. If you are looking for trouble, to bring attention to the constitutional rights, that's up to you, but with the current state government here more attention is likely to result in more loss of rights.

WSRepublic 11-08-2010 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisjoe (Post 35463)
Our laws in WA state are basically that if it's not specifically forbidden, then it's legal. Unfortunately that can be open to interpretation, and open carry is pushing the limits some. Since state law doesn't specify, this law is sometimes used to cite open carry proponents as soon as someone calls the police:

RCW 9.41.270: ?It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.?

Carrying concealed (with permit of course) is a lot less likely to cause trouble. If you are looking for trouble, to bring attention to the constitutional rights, that's up to you, but with the current state government here more attention is likely to result in more loss of rights.

Actually, that RCW you cite is being challenged almost daily. It is unconstitutionally vague and contradicts our natural rights (which states have no right to do). If you cower from the Statists and Despots, you lose. These people won't stop ever... even if they lose, they keep coming back to take all our rights.

When I open carry, and people ask me about it... I hand them out the pamphlet on the subject and talk to them about natural rights and why they are so important.... only one out of ten still are rude and seem generally hostile to me after a good conversation... and to me... they belong in Cuba or Venezuela anyway as they're really just wannabe tyrants.

SarenAid 11-08-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WSRepublic (Post 35527)
When I open carry, and people ask me about it... I hand them out the pamphlet on the subject and talk to them about natural rights and why they are so important.... only one out of ten still are rude and seem generally hostile to me after a good conversation... and to me... they belong in Cuba or Venezuela anyway as they're really just wannabe tyrants.

9/10 people aren't rude to you because you are brandishing a firearm...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.