CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   Georgia (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/georgia/)
-   -   Best Barbeque in Metro Atlanta??? (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/georgia/best-barbeque-metro-atlanta-4543/)

SouthPaw 11-07-2010 08:36 PM

Best Barbeque in Metro Atlanta???

I prefer JJ?s Rib Shack, Fat Matt?s, and even Smokey Bones. I am looking for another good place to try. Oh, how could I leave Jim n Nick?s out, I really like their food as well.

So where would you suggest?

Adam5 11-11-2010 02:18 PM

It's been a while since I've been there, but Harold's used to be very good.

GatorDude 11-11-2010 05:03 PM

Try Dreamland. They have good bbq and their pecan pie is awesome! :)

mrmekon 11-15-2010 03:06 PM

My favorites, in order:

1) Daddy D'z
2) Fox Brothers (more for sides than meat - half/half fried pickles/jalapenos!)
3) Fat Matt's
4) One Star Ranch, but only the beef ribs.

My boss swear's by Spiced Right, but I've never been there.

Unfortunately, I thought Atlanta had good BBQ until I went to "Gator Q" in Florida. They blow away anything else I've ever eaten.

bh10 11-16-2010 12:15 PM

Swallow at the Hallow-Downtown Roswell, awesome BBQ and atmosphere.

chefmike 11-16-2010 10:33 PM

I am wishing I could head to fox brothers right now! fried jalapenos... mmm

reverendfrag 11-17-2010 12:53 AM

They're just barely OTP, but Slope's has a location in Sandy Springs, and their sauce is one of the best I've ever had. They had a booth at the Decatur Beer Festival this year where they'd brought a whole pig and were pulling the meat out and slopping it onto sandwiches. It was incredible.

mrmekon 11-17-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverendfrag (Post 38663)
They're just barely OTP, but Slope's has a location in Sandy Springs, and their sauce is one of the best I've ever had. They had a booth at the Decatur Beer Festival this year where they'd brought a whole pig and were pulling the meat out and slopping it onto sandwiches. It was incredible.

They'll also smoke meat you bring in, which is cool.

I forgot about J.R's BBQ on Peachtree Industrial! Their BBQ is not very good. However, go there for breakfast for the greatest biscuit gorging of your life. They serve *massive* biscuits smothered in gravy and meats, and it's about $4 for more food than you can eat.

scobro 11-19-2010 01:18 PM

Can't believe no one has mentioned Dave Poe's or Community Q. Both are worth the drive

jheist 11-23-2010 09:26 PM

Fox Bros or Fat Matt's hands down are the two best.

3S00W 11-30-2010 06:03 PM

I'm from Memphis so not much impresses me here in ATL. I have to say, Fat Matt's was a close call to actual BBQ.

seanman 11-30-2010 07:16 PM

I cant speak about ATL barbeque, But if your ever in Augusta you have to try Sconyers Barbeque. He cooked for Jimmey carter on the White House lawn in the 70's.

beyonder74 12-03-2010 11:44 AM

I really like Fat Matt's when I am in town working. Otherwise, I have a couple of good ones around Woodstock and Canton. Bubba-Q has really good ribs and Williamson Bros is not bad for some quick BBQ.

mrsunshades 12-04-2010 09:30 AM

If you're in the Alpharetta or Cumming area, make the drive up to Amos BBQ - this is a small family owned place on 369 (actually has a Ball Ground address) It's an old farmhouse that was moved from it's original location in S GA, I believe. The place is VERY rustic, and a great place to buy firewood as well! Their pulled pork sandwiches are great, and they have brisket that is out of this world! Go let David and the rest of the crew hook you up!

Adam5 12-05-2010 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3S00W (Post 47073)
I'm from Memphis so not much impresses me here in ATL. I have to say, Fat Matt's was a close call to actual BBQ.

I'm with you on that. I grew up eating Rendezvouz ribs, Interstate BBQ, and Three Little Pigs.

xjfever 12-05-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsunshades (Post 49106)
If you're in the Alpharetta or Cumming area, make the drive up to Amos BBQ - this is a small family owned place on 369 (actually has a Ball Ground address) It's an old farmhouse that was moved from it's original location in S GA, I believe. The place is VERY rustic, and a great place to buy firewood as well! Their pulled pork sandwiches are great, and they have brisket that is out of this world! Go let David and the rest of the crew hook you up!

I go through there a couple of times a week and always get hungry smelling their food cooking. I will have to stop in and give them a try.

JBrown 12-06-2010 03:53 PM

The BBQ places in Atlanta I enjoy in order of preference are as follows. Atlanta is not Memphis, the Carolinas or Texas so you have to rate with an open mind.

Fat Matt's, JRs, Williams and Bros, One Star Ranch.

briancampbell 12-08-2010 03:36 PM

The best BBQ in Atlanta is at my house.

No one has mentioned Pappy Red's.

And I agree that Fat Matt's is one of the better BBQ establishments in Atlanta. Fox Bros isn't bad either.

fishshocker 12-15-2010 12:23 PM

X2 on The Swallow in Roswell, but I hear that BubbaQ in Woodstock and Jasper has won some awards for their brisket.

dcso580 12-17-2010 01:45 PM

My dad swears by Harold's in Atlanta, been eating there for about 50 years

ionakana 01-01-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3S00W (Post 47073)

I didn't know Georgia doesn't have great BBQ until I dated a girl from N. Carolina. We have good BBQ but not great, nothing that makes your mouth water thinking about it or that will make you drive an hour or two because you just gotta have it.

That said...

Fresh Air in Jackson for pulled pork sandwiches.

Harolds for stew and cracklin cornbread.

Spiced Right for ribs.

Williamson Brothers is good BBQ too.

BiscuitEater 01-04-2011 05:21 PM

Harold's used to be The Place. Their long-time Boulevard location (near the Federal Pen) is an interesting place, but I've heard that they're closed their other location (Stockbridge?). I certainly haven't tried all the possibilities, but I think Fat Matt's is very good. They used to have a band on the weekends, which made it very entertaining. (The place is fairly small.)

ionakana 01-05-2011 07:00 AM

I believe Harolds is still open but I haven't been there in quite a while. I called the number and it still rings but nobody answered and there wasn't an answering machine. I hope it's not closed, that's where my Grandfather and I always went after a day of fishing.

ionakana 02-10-2011 08:47 AM

Went to a place called Smokejack in Cumming last weekend. It was decent, my girlfriend had the pulled pork and it was good. On a scale of 1-10 I give their ribs a 5.

They did have queso and chips with their pulled pork in it. That was different, the queso was only so-so but the pulled pork helped it out a lot.

DHowell 02-15-2011 09:00 AM

I used to only want to go to Fox Bros. since I always enjoyed it and never wanted to risk going somewhere else. I agree the fried pickles/jalapenos are great. But the other day my wife was saying we should try somewhere new and we went to Community. It was really good. Ribs were great. I will definitely go back especially if I am over that way.

MysticMead 03-30-2011 09:16 AM

Bubba Q in Jasper is great..In Kingston try Harrbque.. I like Williams Bro, Slopes and a few others.. But the best is the BBQ I make :D