CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   San Marcos (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/san-marcos/)
-   -   Best Pizza in San Marcos (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/san-marcos/best-pizza-san-marcos-534/)

CT 02-05-2006 05:55 PM

Best Pizza in San Marcos

What does everyone think is the best pizza here? I would have to say D'Blazios. Theres just something about it that separates it from the rest. Sunny's pizza is also pretty good as well.

cotton 02-07-2006 12:06 PM

I love Chicago style deep dish pizza. Does anyone know where some real good Chicago style pizza can be found here in town? Thanks.

A2 02-07-2006 12:33 PM

No deep dish that I know of Cotton...

and I think, but not positive, that DeBlazios is the best pie in town. A little heavy on the seasoning sometimes, but great crust, plenty of toppings, and quick delivery..

FLCL Freak 02-07-2006 06:51 PM

I would say it's a toss-up between D'Blazios and Valentinos, however, D'Blazios does use fresh garlic and basil and you gotta love that.

futureshock 04-26-2006 10:26 PM

I guess I'm a slave to corporate america but dominoes has the best pizzas for the best price, and they market to bobcats.

www.bobcatpizza.com

dku 05-04-2006 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by futureshock
I guess I'm a slave to corporate america but dominoes has the best pizzas for the best price, and they market to bobcats.

www.bobcatpizza.com

I must buy from there since they market to Bobcats! I enjoy sucking up marketing tactics.

I have yet to try D'B's but thus far Valentino's is the best I've had.

I just ate at Craig O's out near Starbucks and had their calzone. Really good! Didn't try a pie though but I'm sure it's damn good since that calzone was good. Not that pricey either.

Beto 02-20-2007 12:43 AM

Local Pie

I think the best local pizza places are Sunny's, D'Blazio's, and Valentino's... in no particular order.
We order Sunny's alot because they also have so much other food - subs, pasta, fried everything, and a darned good pizza. Plenty of toppings. It's on the way home for me - so I never have had it delivered.
D'Blazio is one of the freshest pizza's I have ever tasted - great ingredients, and some really tasty pepperoni rolls.
Valentino's rocks my world (on wheat crust). Bacon pizza is one of my favorites. I like the lunch buffet - cheap and usually you can request toppings and have your custom pizza on the buffet in just a few minutes.

cassbutt 04-20-2007 09:47 AM

Italian Garden has good, cheap pizza. The Deep dish is really good. All the ingredients are fresh.

Kenman 04-24-2007 02:05 AM

Does Sunny's still use mostly frozen ingredients? I lived on that side of town several years ago when they first opened the kitchen, and everything they sold you could buy off the Schwann's man pretty much. Felt like I was just paying them to heat up it... It wasn't terrible, but it was nowhere near as good as the other places.

Personally, I like to switch it up as a large pizza is usually a couple meals for me, its easy to get tired of the style. I don't think there's any in town that I don't order from semi-regularly, and I enjoy them all. My favs would have to be D'Blazzios, Valentinos, and Pizza Classics though.

semi-native 04-24-2007 08:34 AM

I miss Emilio's Leaning Tower of Pizza and their leaning tower special.

At least, I'm 95% sure that's what their name was.

Now, I like Italian Garden and Craig O's. Valentino's is nice for a change of pace sometimes.

I had D'Blazio's once and something was really bad. I can't remember if it was the food or the delivery time. Something happened to keep me from ordering from them again, though. I guess since I can't remember, I ought to try them again and see if it is any better. Whatever "it" was.

kambykitten 04-25-2007 07:54 AM

I actually just had the most perfect pizza from Pizza Classics.I ordered with sausage, bell peppers, onions, olives, and mushrooms. 5 toppings for $12.49 special. It was PERFECTLY cooked. Not greasy. Not burnt. They even give you dipping sauce like Papa Johns, but don't charge the $1.50 delivery fee.

Alternatively, Craig O's is a good place for pizza too. You can get it by the slice and they have good beer specials, not to mention huge flat pannels.

semi-native 05-31-2007 08:14 AM

I'll add Zen's to the list. They are over on Sessom, in the little shopping center. They just opened and the pizza is pretty damn good. Not only that, but they donate money to the local food bank and some student art gallery.

I have to retract this vote for best pizza. Things have been pretty bad the last two times I have gotten pizza here. Most recently, the pizza was indescribably greasy and the toppings were ridiculous. There was a half slice of pepperoni on each slice of pizza. No joke. And the service was terrible. When we got there to pick the pizza up, they rang us up and wandered away. We assumed that this was because the pizza was in the oven still. After about 10 minutes, we asked "Is that our pizza, on top of the oven?"

The reply: "Uh, ok" and a luke-warm, greasy, piece of **** with hardly any toppings. Such a shame. We may try the place one more time, but then again, we may not bother. It was great the first time and awful the second and third.

semi-native 06-18-2007 10:46 AM

Bumping this topic because I am so pissed about the service at Zen's.

part-time jesus 06-21-2007 02:22 AM

A good spot spoiled

I hear you Semi. The grease doesn't bother me. My gripe is with their sauce--it's disgusting and it isn't pizza sauce. They use what is essentially a basil marinara. Yuck. It belongs on a plate of noodles, not a pizza.
I haven't tried the white sauce, and I'm not going to. I'm back to D'Blazios, no matter how many times they drop my pizza on the floor right before I arrive to pick it up. They are my favorite stoned cooks. As for the goodness of Zen's, I can donate my own money to local charities (@ more than one dollar a pop) and continue to buy produce, bread, cheese, flowers, etc. at the Farmer's Market.

The downside to a crappy Zen's: if it goes under, I'm going to have to go back to ragging on the other dump in that plaza, Mochas and Jesus. Ugh. I love Jesus but I hate Free Trade! I think that's actually printed on the backs of their t-shirts.

gmiller 06-26-2007 10:19 PM

looking for a good non-franchised San Marcos pizza...

Just moved to town, and tried Valentino's pizza last night. The crust was like cardboard and they skimped on the pepperoni. I won't be going back there any time soon. Who makes a good pie in San Marcos? Besides Papa Johns? I'll definitely look for Pizza Classics.

KidA 06-27-2007 12:27 AM

I definitely think Deblazio's, Sunny's, and Valentino's have the very best pizza in town : ) Loves it!

Beto 06-27-2007 01:18 PM

Pizza

D'Blazio's and Sunny's are great. If you order Valentino's - I recommend the wheat crust.

tokentowely 07-01-2007 10:13 AM

not very zen...

Ok, about Zens:

I thought the inside ambiance was nice, but the tv was up way too loud...can i hear myself talk in here? I ordered a wild rocket pizza (arugala bacon pizza, which took 30 min to cook), but when i got home, they had given me a pepperoni. Went back to get the correct pizza, decided to eat it there, gave us the correct pizza, without arugala. Went and asked them to put it on, more then 5 min later they come back with two pieces of wilted arugala on each slice. What a joke. I might give it another chance, but it is expensive pizza and all i got from them was pissy attitude for thier f-ups. If these guys go under, it is thier own doing.

Bottom line best pizza in SM, D'blazios (if you have the cash) and Sunny's (if you dont). Valentinos is good right away, terrible left over. nuff said.

A2 07-02-2007 04:58 AM

Good review token...

The last line of your post pretty much sums up the entire pizza debate. I could not agree more.

Kenman 07-09-2007 09:41 PM

My take on Zen's: I've only eaten there once (before they were even done with it), but it was pretty good. They had a couple pies already made to order by the slice, and the slices were on the large end. It was fairly economical ($2-3/slice, 2 filled me up), and tasted great. They have a rather large menu (one of the largest I've seen here in SM), and I think they do delivery. They had a cool interior, a bar (unfinished at the time), and the owner made it a point to come over and talk to us which is always good.

I'm definitely going to try it again.

semi-native 07-10-2007 08:00 AM

We went back again. It was good this time. The sauce is pretty typical for the northeast and maybe Chicago. The toppings were good and fairly plentiful (although *not* as plentiful as some of the better places up north, where the toppings can be an inch thick).

What was interesting was that we had some artwork on our pizza box, drawn by hand by an employee. We also had some on the box for the first pizza. We wondered if the person doing the artwork on the boxes, whether s/he is the manager, a cook, owner, whatever, is the difference between a good pie and a bad one. Maybe there is someone there who is heavily invested in making things work well and when that person is not working, things fall apart.

It wouldn't be the first time I've seen that.

Kenman 07-10-2007 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semi-native (Post 2824)
Maybe there is someone there who is heavily invested in making things work well and when that person is not working, things fall apart.

It wouldn't be the first time I've seen that.

I think you may be onto something there. The owner seemed very passionate about his bistro, but as can be expected, the hired help rarely shares the same passion.

I found my menu that they gave me (small delivery-style), and I forgot about the manifesto printed on the front. It's pretty cool, if its all true. Here's some highlights:

Quote:

We support Buy Local - Eat Local and when possible, purchase organic and sustainable from family farmers.

We strive to use recycled, biodegradable and compostable disposables that contain ZERO petroleum.

A percentage of our profits are donated to San Marcos community organizations working for social change in hunger relief, education, and the arts.

fatthundercat 08-06-2007 10:05 AM

DBlazios is the best we have found. Valentino's has a great pizza - if you can get them to actually deliver it before it gets cold and soggy. We were loyal to Valentino's for a while but after the 3rd pizza showed up at the door late and cold we had to make the switch. (really, we only live about 4 or 5 blocks from the place...) DBlazio's also has great calzones. And the basil and garlic....

A2 08-06-2007 05:24 PM

Well said fatthundercat,

I can judge pizza's quality by how it taste after being in the fridge, or on the counter over night.

d'Blazzios is the best.

secretfluff04 08-20-2007 04:39 PM

Italian Garden and D'Blazios

It is a toss up. Italian Garden has some good pizza too. D'Blazios you sure do get what ya ordered for your money!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT (Post 2130)
What does everyone think is the best pizza here? I would have to say D'Blazios. Theres just something about it that separates it from the rest. Sunny's pizza is also pretty good as well.

A2 08-21-2007 01:23 AM

D'blazios won a blind test taste they did on Campus over the weekend.

It was a pizza pie toss off and they beat all the pizza places in town including the national chains.

D'Blazios...........Killer pies

melavern 09-08-2007 11:37 AM

we showed up at 11:06 on a saturday and they weren't open. the manager was just walking in, as we pulled up. don't know when they open because there was no sign, but after reading all these posts we won't bother trying to go back.

Kenman 09-08-2007 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melavern (Post 2986)
we showed up at 11:06 on a saturday and they weren't open. the manager was just walking in, as we pulled up. don't know when they open because there was no sign, but after reading all these posts we won't bother trying to go back.

Which establishment are you talking about? We've discussed quite a few pizza places in this thread.

brete 09-10-2007 09:52 AM

I still lean toward D'blazzios, but that new Zen place is good too. Plus they sell slices and aren't in the middle of nowhere.

markedmanoftheyear 09-29-2007 06:16 AM

Best Pizza and Zen's review

I would have to say that Craig-O's or Italian Garden is the best. Valentino's is good also.

Sunny's was good, then Mohammad sold it and it started sucking, then I think he bought it back. I'm not sure, but they used to have good Chicago style pies.

D'Blazios is always hit or miss depending on how stoned those guys happen to be (just kidding, but maybe so). I've had great pizza from there and terrible, burnt crust, half-assed pies also.

Zen's is the new joint. They sell pizza by the slice or pie. A couple of weeks ago me and the guys I work with decided to go there for lunch. Here's the short of it:

First, they need to turn on their a.c. It was hot as hell in there and really uncomfortable.

Second, they have furniture that simply does not fit. We kept having to move to let people by, which is a pain when your trying to be "Zen" on your lunch hour. The tables are too large and they need to get smaller ones.

Third, where's the freaking pizza? It was lunchtime (12:10 or so) and they had two pies to get slices from, and out of half the things on the menu.

Fourth, they had no order to the way you get your food. Place your order, then hawk around them until you see it come out, then you have to basically ask for it. Retarded.

Lastly, I will say the pizza was okay. Nothing amazing, but decent.

By the way, my girlfriend and I decided to give them a second chance one night and order delivery from them. They were out of the two things we wanted.

Nice first impression.

semi-native 11-06-2007 11:16 AM

OK, so I've had D,blazio's quite a few times now. I still can't remember what went wrong the first time, but it did not repeat itself. I suspect it was slow delivery, but we've been picking up our orders, so I can't really comment on the delivery times now.

The pizza is good. Not the greatest I've had, but one of the top 3 in town, I think.

I have not been back to Zen's, since the last bad pie. When they were good, they were in the top 3 too. When they were bad, they had me wishing for dried-up Double Dave's buffet.

I still put Craig O's in the top 3 as well. The service is always fast and friendly and the food is very good. The acoustics are still a real problem, but that's my only real complaint.

The other top 3 is probably Italian Garden.

brete 11-06-2007 11:48 AM

Where is Craig Os? Didn't see it in the yellow pages under Pizza.

Nice to see a post on something nonelection related.

semi-native 11-06-2007 11:56 AM

Craig O's is across the highway from the Outlet Mall, in the same little strip mall as Starbuck's.

The pizza and calzone's are very good and they have some sort of grilled ckicken salad that my wife loves.

I agree. The election stuff is starting to wear on me too.

brete 11-06-2007 12:07 PM

Cool, A-2 mtold me about that place hadn't been there yet.

primalconcrete5 01-20-2008 08:36 PM

I grew up on NYC Pizza...

I grew up on NYC pizza, living 40 minutes from Manhattan, and I'd have to say the closest you will get in this town is Zen's or D'Blazios. When Zen's reheats the pizza at the eatery, it gives it a crispness that you get with the good NYC pies. As for D'Blazios, they're great but expensive. Either way, you get a good pie. :biggrin:

springlakediver 02-04-2008 02:35 PM

Picked up a D'Blazio's yesterday and was very happy with it. Would highly recommend them.

bc1192 02-14-2008 03:04 PM

Valentino's

Are you guys crazy...
Where is Valentino's on everyone's list? I like D'Blazzios but one time I got a pie and it was burnt on the bottom of half of it. I haven't tried Zen's yet but I think I might soon after reading all this. My friends are always talking about Zen's "Hemp Brownies" lol.

But everyone needs to go try out Valentino's. It's on the square a few spots down from Cafe on The Square. And kinda by Sean Patrick's.

:D

semi-native 02-14-2008 03:28 PM

I haven't had Valentino's in probably 10 years, so I can't comment. When I was in school and up until I stopped going, they were ok, but not spectacular. Of course everyone has his/her own tastes and opinion.

Maybe they're better than they were. Maybe they just aren't my taste.

I really like D'blazio's, but they are almost as flaky as Zen's. I've never had bad pie from D'blazio's (I have from Zen's), but I've had a hell of a time ordering sometimes. Maybe they have really bad cataracts or something, because I swear they are stoned out of their brains half the time and the other half the phone just rings and rings and rings.

eljefe 02-14-2008 07:12 PM

Valentino's is good, but a very different pie than Zen's or D'Blazios. I like Zen's a lot, but they are very inconsistent with their hours and whether they are delivering or not. The owner will close the place early if it's slow, which is annoying when I want a pie an hour before they are supposed to close. At that point I go for D'Blazios or Valentino's. And yes, D'Blazios does have a habit of burning their crusts on the bottom.

bc1192 02-28-2008 01:11 PM

zen's

so i finally went to zen's last week and i must say that yes it was GREAT!

i got the double bacon cheese burger pizza, and pretty much ate the whole pie alone. haha. actually half. it was sooo good. the only thing was that it took forever! and half the time the tv wasn't on so my friend and i just kinda sat there. the table was so long that we felt like we were yelling at eachother. it was just a weird shaped table for two.

but i will say the pizza was delish!