CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums

CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/)
-   San Marcos (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/san-marcos/)
-   -   City Council - Mayor (https://www.cityprofile.com/forum/san-marcos/city-council-mayor-885/)

jeepster 08-27-2008 05:43 PM

City Council - Mayor

Again, I thought we should separate the races on individual threads. And the candidates are: Susan Narvaiz, incumbant, David Newman, retired pilot and hero, and Daniel McCarthy, student. Have at it.

pythonlee 08-27-2008 06:52 PM

David Newman

I don't think Susan has been that great a mayor. She didn't help the "just a dog" fiasco with her statement about people just wanting to get angry about something. The wonder world drive overpass was in the works before she came along. Being in office when something happens doesn't mean you made it happen. Roads/potholes are everyday business for every council.
Don't know anything about Daniel McCarthy except that he's a student.
That leaves David Newman, retired pilot and local hero. Pilots tend to be hero types and heroes tend to step on some toes. I'm for giving him a shot as mayor, and if he goes too far we can elect somebody else next time.
The election season has just begun so I could change my mind. I generally don't like political types and almost never after they're done.

marilee 08-28-2008 11:09 AM

Mayor Anyone?

Well it certainly surprises me that the only contest with three candidates seems to be drawing the least interest on this forum. And for Mayor! Is it just too confusing?

swisher 08-28-2008 12:04 PM

Right now I think everyone is commenting the personalities of the incumbents and the challengers they know personally. In the mayors race Narvaiz certainly seems to be favored, however what she says during the campaign will get much more scrutiny since she has legitimate opponents this time. I think it shows that many in SM are not happy with her. Whether they don't like her style, (controlling, micro-managing, yet effective) seems to be at least part of the decision. Newman is a fixture in SM, but what does he want to accomplish. I will be listening closely. The student candidate is in my opinion clearly not qualified to be mayor, but I respect his right to throw his hat in the ring and make his ideas known. He probably could have supported one of the other candidates and tried to implement his ideas that way. He will most likely get enough votes to force a run-off election in mid-December.

marilee 08-28-2008 01:39 PM

Just the Facts, ma'am

Small town elections are always about personalities as well as positions. My problem is getting the facts. The Daily Record has always been shallow on politics. You know who they favor by how many photos they run. Web sites are all "hooray for me" hoopla. The incumbants appear to be for "green growth". Doing what Austin has done seems to be their blueprint.
What I would like is to get real info. Did someone start something and push it through or just jump on the bandwagon when it was inevitable. Taking credit for everything is pretty much universal for elected officials.
Lacking sufficient information I'm left to personality politics.
Gosh, he's cute, I'll vote for him.

swisher 08-28-2008 04:30 PM

Marilee,

If you have a specific issue or position that you are curious about, why not list it here. I am sure there is someone who would have knowledge or where to get the answer about it.

brete 08-29-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marilee (Post 6088)
Well it certainly surprises me that the only contest with three candidates seems to be drawing the least interest on this forum. And for Mayor! Is it just too confusing?

Since everyone just filed it's just getting started. This place should heat up again like last year.

So I guess the student candidate isn't the Mayor stooge for a change?

blanket 08-31-2008 01:42 PM

this race is between newman and narvaiz. if everyone who hated susan voted against her it would be a landslide. but the last time hate got out the vote was against stokes and the family council years ago. newman has some strong positives on top of being a hero. but don't expect the local media to speak in anything but vague generalities, favoring the incumbant. (wonder world overpass - was in the works over 15 years, wonder world extension - been in the works since before i was born, it's 1/4 of 'the loop')
i don't expect much of the city council. actually i have found incompetance and stupidity there to be helpful in slowing growth.
i'll probably vote for newman because i don't like narvaiz. maybe i just want something to get angry about.

swisher 09-04-2008 06:05 PM

People are afraid of Narvaiz. They are hesitant to publicly support her opponents. She has retaliated against people who were on different sides of issues and who spoke up about it. Remember what happened to Betsy Robertson.

WesTexan 09-15-2008 12:49 AM

Mayoral Candidates

This election is sure going to be interesting, I'm voting for Daniel McCarthy though because he's a friend in the San Marcos biking community and wants to actually implement the bike lanes in town that everyone is griping about. I mean we already passed the bond and the funds have been allocated, so whats the hold up?

brete 09-15-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesTexan (Post 6257)
This election is sure going to be interesting, I'm voting for Daniel McCarthy though because he's a friend in the San Marcos biking community and wants to actually implement the bike lanes in town that everyone is griping about. I mean we already passed the bond and the funds have been allocated, so whats the hold up?

So you think you snap your fingers and bike lanes appear? Adding bike lanes is basically a road widening project which requires (much of this by federal or state law) public hearings, engineering, bidding and awarding of contracts, disruption of foot and car traffic, taking part of someone's yard or business property, relocation of sidewalks, etc. Thta's why the council has been adding bike lanes and sidewalks when they have been doing road projects, just adding bike lanes and sidewalks willy nilly is irresponsible is wasteful government.

swisher 09-15-2008 03:46 PM

Absolutely correct Brete. However, there can be a city council that thinks these things are not a priority. That would be reflected in a yearly budget that does not fund such things. Does anybody know the other candidates positions on this?

flapjak 09-17-2008 04:50 PM

https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...newman0001.jpg

https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...newman0002.jpg

swisher 09-21-2008 01:45 PM

The mayor sent out a flyer claiming that she has "Expanded our economy by adding 6,877 new jobs at Kulabyte, Phillips (widelite), CFAN, Hadco, Embassy Suites Hotel, etc." Even by the most generous calculation, that is about 1000-1500 jobs by those companies listed, which presumably are the largest expansions. I'm in disbelief until I hear a believable explanation of the other 5,300.

semi-native 09-22-2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisher (Post 6305)
The mayor sent out a flyer claiming that she has "Expanded our economy by adding 6,877 new jobs at Kulabyte, Phillips (widelite), CFAN, Hadco, Embassy Suites Hotel, etc." Even by the most generous calculation, that is about 1000-1500 jobs by those companies listed, which presumably are the largest expansions. I'm in disbelief until I hear a believable explanation of the other 5,300.

Want a believable explanation?

etc = Outlet Mall.

swisher 09-22-2008 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semi-native (Post 6313)
Want a believable explanation?

etc = Outlet Mall.

There are only 3600 total jobs at both outlet malls. So again I ask is this claim by the mayor based in truth? This is according to www.ecodevsanmarcos.org.

semi-native 09-22-2008 04:29 PM

Hey man, you got me. I have no idea. Frankly, I can't even understand why anyone would brag about any jobs created at an average pay of $11 per hour, or whatever ridiculous rate it was.

If you're still measuring it in "per hour" terms, it isn't the right kind of jobs, IMO. Now, maybe per hour is a typical unit of measure for job data like this, but even if that is the case, if it isn't an average of $18 per hour, it still isn't the right kind of jobs.

You tell me what you make of these numbers:

https://www.infoplease.com/us/census/...as/san-marcos/

https://www.infoplease.com/us/census/data/texas/austin/

Per capita income:

San Marcos - $13,468
Texas (overal) - $19,617
Austin - $24,163

Persons below poverty level:

San Marcos - 28.5%
Texas (overall) - 15.4%
Austin - 14.4%

Now granted, these numbers are due to be freshened up, but look around; do you think they are that far off? I bet we're still behind the average for Texas and well behind Austin and there are a lot of **** jobs and po' folk in Austin, its not all Dell and AMD.

How many students do you think would stay in San Marcos after graduation if Dell, or Google, or Microsoft had a significant presence here? Or anyone like that? How many homeowners would no longer have six students renting the three bedroom house next door and parking all over the lawn, if the students didn't have to work at the Outlet Mall? How many of the tensions between the students and the non-students would go away, if more of us worked together at the same companies? How many improvements would come off the wish list and actually get completed, if we had the schools and the jobs necessary to support higher property values and more property tax revenue for the city?

zoom 09-22-2008 04:42 PM

never seen that link before;

Corporate Relations
Kay Stroman, Fred Heldenfels, Lisa Searle, Ron Hart, John Wade, Mike Davis, Chris Carson, Rick Skiles, David Williamson

so basically all the Property Managers in this town are the Corporate Relations members? they should have added Vance Elliot to the list.

swisher 09-22-2008 04:52 PM

Semi, I agree with almost everything you say in your post. Only one thing I have always had trouble with. My neighbor is a college student who works part time at the mall. 2-3 days a week and earns about $4K per year. If my income is about $45k and his are added together we have and average of $25K per year. This is why our numbers are skewed so low. I do know that the US Census counts all residents (and their income level) where they live when they are counted.

semi-native 09-22-2008 05:31 PM

I thought the same thing about the students and actually had one student on this board twist my comment around to say that I was blaming the students for poverty in San Marcos.

Sadly, I have since found reports that show the students do not skew the numbers as much as you would think. I'll dig for them. I believe one was a SMCISD report that identified the percentage of students in San Marcos (K-12, not university) who are economically disadvantaged and the number is disturbingly high.

Yes, a college student working part time for $4,000 per year does skew the numbers some (although 20 hours a week at minimum wage is closer to $6,000 and a lot of them pick up hours when school is out). Most of the students do not live in San Marcos. And, to use your example, $4,000 and $45,000 average out to nearly double our per-capita income. It would take 3 of them to bring you down to $14,250, which is close to our average.

If you grant me that they make $6,000, then it takes four of them to approach our per-capita income. There are "only" 30,000 students. If they all lived here and all earned only $6,000 per year, they would bring the average down for 7500 residents.

I've seen reports that fewer than half live in San Marcos. If we say half do, then they bring the average down for 3750 residents.

Given that 68% of our population (more actually) are between 18 and 65, that means 34,000 residents are of working age. So, the other 30,000 average $13,000 per year all by themselves.

There are just not very many good jobs here.

Immis 09-22-2008 05:56 PM

[QUOTE=flapjak;6272]https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...newman0001.jpg

I thought dave newman was single?

swisher 09-22-2008 06:56 PM

Apparently he is single and a father. Do you see a problem with that Immis?

Immis 09-23-2008 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisher (Post 6326)
Apparently he is single and a father. Do you see a problem with that Immis?

Uh No... I simply asked the question. No need to get your panties all bunched up. I had heard he was single , so I asked the question. Now do you have a problem with that swisher?

swisher 09-23-2008 09:07 AM

No I don't have a problem with that aspect of his life. It is not a reason IMO to not vote for someone. Just that 40 days before an election, showing a picture of him and his child, and asking if he was single...you must admit is an interesting question. I take your word Immis that you were just curious and apologize if this offended you. I however am still not sure if I am voting for him.

Immis 09-23-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisher (Post 6337)
No I don't have a problem with that aspect of his life. It is not a reason IMO to not vote for someone. Just that 40 days before an election, showing a picture of him and his child, and asking if he was single...you must admit is an interesting question. I take your word Immis that you were just curious and apologize if this offended you. I however am still not sure if I am voting for him.

Thats cool swisher. I originally didnt post the picture. I "quoted" flapjak on page 2 of this thread. No worries , I can see how that was mistaken.

swisher 09-25-2008 02:51 PM

I like Newman's big signs. Concerned about.....? Pretty unique. Would like to know his positions on the concerns listed on them. What does the mayors sign mean by Higher Purpose? Anybody know for sure? Is this a religious reference?

swisher 09-27-2008 09:17 AM

Rebranding the city is overated. Every city is doing the same thing.

brete 09-30-2008 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisher (Post 6353)
I like Newman's big signs. Concerned about.....? Pretty unique. Would like to know his positions on the concerns listed on them.

Just spray paint in what ever you want. Between the 10% budget cuts, overreliance on sales tax comment, the we have a stencile for your issue signs, and the failure to put "for" in the new signs, the whole Newman campaign is looking pretty amatuer hour. Mayor is pretty serious business, and I'd like the mayor to know a little about how cities run in Texas.

If you told me in January I'd be supporting the Mayor, Chris Jones and Connelly, I'd told you to quit huffing paint. Craziest election I've ever seen.

semi-native 09-30-2008 01:02 PM

I don't know.

I think we do rely too heavily on sales tax and the mayor bragging about bringing low-wage jobs to San Marcos is offensive.

Still, I'm not swayed to vote for Newman yet and I've just about written off Jones's opponent. Maybe if she answered my questions here, she could change my mind. As it stands, I'm inclined to believe she is the one talking to herself in the pot threads.

brete 09-30-2008 01:16 PM

Sales Tax is supposed to be the primary source of revenue for Texas cities. That's the way the legislature has set them up. The whole point in allowing cities to levy sales tax was to reduce the cities dependence on property taxes. Saying cities are too reliant on sales tax is like saying animals are too dependent on Oxygen

Immis 09-30-2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brete (Post 6422)

If you told me in January I'd be supporting the Mayor, Chris Jones and Connelly, I'd told you to quit huffing paint. Craziest election I've ever seen.

I can totally relate

semi-native 10-01-2008 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brete (Post 6424)
Sales Tax is supposed to be the primary source of revenue for Texas cities. That's the way the legislature has set them up. The whole point in allowing cities to levy sales tax was to reduce the cities dependence on property taxes. Saying cities are too reliant on sales tax is like saying animals are too dependent on Oxygen

Not quite. In the event of a downturn in the retail sector or a bigger, better outlet mall, or a bigger move to online shopping, etc, we could find ourselves in a tough spot.

More real jobs and more property owners would mean more *potential* property tax, in the event of a downturn and more diversity for the local economy. It could also mean lower tax rates for everyone now, as long as the Outlet Mall keeps chugging along.

Using sales tax and *relying* on it are not necessarily the same thing. If the sales tax money started to dry up, we'd be SOL. There just isn'a a whole lot of room for raising our property taxes to offset a shortfall. It would be nice to have a fallback position and it would be nice to have some real jobs in San Marcos for a change.

MesquiteMan 10-01-2008 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brete (Post 6422)

If you told me in January that you would be supporting the Mayor, Chris Jones, and Connelly, I would have commended you for being a smart man and caring about the future prosperity of San Marcos!!!

brete 10-01-2008 03:44 PM

Local Government 101.

Counties and School Districts are primarily funded through property taxes.

Cities and transportation districts are primarily funded through sales tax. Cities can levy property taxes, but the sales tax is intended to be the primary funding source. Now what Newman and semi-native may mean is we are too reliant on a single source for a large chunk of our sales tax base.

Mesquite Man, the fact I am supporting those three is more a reflection of the lack of quality opposition than an actual endorsement. Connelly especially. The use of revenue bonds (which weren't designed to be used for anything permenant) to circumvent the will of the voters and the state constitution is a big no no in my book.

swisher 10-01-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MesquiteMan (Post 6441)
If you told me in January that you would be supporting the Mayor, Chris Jones, and Connelly, I would have commended you for being a smart man and caring about the future prosperity of San Marcos!!!

Ugggh. Future prosperity of SM or of Terry Gilmore and other big campaign donors?

swisher 10-01-2008 05:12 PM

[QUOTE=brete;6442]Local Government 101.

Counties and School Districts are primarily funded through property taxes.[QUOTE]

I agree Brete. Our ratio of income from one source may be higher and our total percentage is probably higher, but would we rather have less sales tax income? No. Diversify with better jobs, yes and stop offering tax incentives to companies who pay $12-15/hr. and retail.

zoom 10-01-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisher (Post 6443)
Ugggh. Future prosperity of SM or of Terry Gilmore and other big campaign donors?

exactly my thoughts.

mayor and current council haven't brought any good jobs here. all i've seen in gilmore/carson getting their land increased and low paying jobs. roads getting repaved that don't even need it.

the jobs the mayor brags about are jobs that were already here. she offered a tax break to kulabyte to build a building, they would have stayed no matter.

experience running a city? i don't know what experience susan had. she ran a day labor company and was a high school drop out. is that what it takes to be mayor?

not sure whom i am voting for yet. debates will tell me that. maybe dave is an amateur but i haven't seen much progress during susan's 4 years.

semi-native 10-02-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brete (Post 6442)
Now what Newman and semi-native may mean is we are too reliant on a single source for a large chunk of our sales tax base.

That's not quite what I am saying, but it is not an important enough issue (to me) to warrant a long, drawn out discussion.

Suffice it to say that the city's obsession with retail and failure to attract other jobs, protect neighborhoods and property values, and attract more homeowners doesn't sit well with me, for many, many reasons.

I would point out that within our proposed 2009 budget it says:

Quote:

Consistent retail sales have kept this revenue stream steady for the past several years. It is important to note that sales tax revenues are a volatile funding source and are subject to shifts in local, state and national economies. Our reliance on this revenue source is approached with caution.
48% of our proposed 2009 budget comes from sales tax. In Austin, it is 26%.

Call me crazy, but 26% feels better to me. The retail sector can be scary and the rising cost of oil can easily put a damper on plans to travel to the Outlet Malls from all over creation, even if the retail sector is doing fine.

This is not to say I want less sales tax. I want more income from other sources to balance it out. It's not like all that extra sales tax is gravy, we don't have enough money to get everything done as it stands now. If the sales tax numbers drop (and eventually, they will), we're in trouble.

real jupiter 10-11-2008 12:43 PM

RE: TP Gilmore

Funny in a twisted sort of way, ran unopposed spent $30,000.00 on her campaign!!! Does not add up but with only a GED, its expected.

real jupiter 10-11-2008 03:41 PM

RE: TP Gilmore

:smile: semi, through what lens of economic philosophy do you view the world?