Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2010, 10:47 AM  

Raleigh, NC
Any Kayakers in the area

I got hooked on kayaking a couple of months ago... unfortunatly it was just in time for winter.

Can anyone recommend fun places to kayak in the Triangle area? I think I prefer river paddling, but I will go anywhere just to get in the water!

Kyle

Old 12-29-2010, 08:28 AM  

New Bern, NC
It's a bit of a drive but New Bern is great for kayaking. The Neuse meets the Trent and you can't go wrong.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:09 PM  

Knightdale, NC
I went kayaking for the time this summer on the Manistee River near Mesick Michigan. It was awesome. The river had a good leisurely speed to it and was very clear and clean. My 13 and 11 year old went with us and had a blast. They have some nice spots for getting out and camping and swimming, very scenic and beautiful. I would love to find something like that here but in this area it seems the nice looking rivers are near Virgina or towards the mountains. I would love to hear about some good kayaking areas here in NC.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:12 PM  

The Haw and the Neuse River are both fun to yak. I'm more into kayak fishing but I encounter quite a lot of folks in the rougher sections of the river.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:51 AM  

Haw river would be the best local place. it's usually too low on water though. also don't go when it's at floodstage (very dangerous). but when the level is inbetween it's a good moderate run with lots of little surf spots.

you can find it off 64 west of jordan lake
Old 01-25-2011, 11:15 AM  

Raleigh, NC
I usually start at the Falls Dam and travel down to Capital. This is a short paddle +3 miles, but if you had down to Buffalo rd then it is a 10.7 mile trip. I recommend it if you like to fish too. When the water is coming out then it makes the trip enjoyable because you wont bottom out.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:56 AM  

I need to pick up this hobby too. Any of you kayakers have old stuff you want to get rid of cheap? I would like to pick up stuff to be able to take the wife, 2 kids, and 3 dogs... maybe I just need a boat Just kidding.... I really want to take them all kayaking... any suggestions?
Old 01-31-2011, 07:29 PM  

How do most of you plan your trip, do you have friends drop you off up river and pick you up down river, etc? Just wondering.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill
Bookmark this Page!