Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2011, 10:48 AM  

Maricopa, Az Formerly: Wilkes-Barre, Pa
Is Raleigh for me? And some other oddball daily life q's

hello!
My wife and I are getting tired of the desert. We are beginning to research our next stop in life, and The Triangle is on our radar.

We are pretty reserved people, keep to ourselves. We want to be somewhere that has seasons, a reasonable drive to the ocean, closer to "home" and a relaxed way of life. I also want to be in a city that doesn't have that big city feeling, but still has some history. We grew up in Pa, so we know all about the humidity and insects.

So, does Raleigh fit my description?

And my oddball questions:

Is rust an issue there like in the northeast?
Will a cherokee with 6" of lift be street legal? How tough is the vehicle code?
Is beer, wine and liquor available at the grocery store?
Can i get yuengling????

I'll have more to ask later. Thanks!

Old 07-18-2011, 11:44 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Can i get yuengling????
The only place in PA that drank that stuff was in the coal regions before it laid claim to being Sam Adam's twin brother.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:48 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
The only place in PA that drank that stuff was in the coal regions before it laid claim to being Sam Adam's twin brother.
ya ya, that's why the stuff is more valuable than gold around here!!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:25 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
ya ya, that's why the stuff is more valuable than gold around here!!
I well remember cases of bottled Yuengling so deeply covered in dust I wondered if the contents had dried up. That was A Reading PA VFW and you couldn't give the stuff away.

Wonder if Iron City could be turned into a Yuppie fad?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:47 AM  

has seasons - check, we have 2 seasons, summer and winter. There are about 2 weeks of spring and 2 weeks of fall.

a reasonable drive to the ocean - check, about 2hrs depending on where you want to land.
closer to "home" - check
city that doesn't have that big city feeling, but still has some history - check

humidity and insects - check, but we do have poisonous snakes.
Is rust an issue there like in the northeast - no. There is usually only one or two snows per year that require salt solution. Just wash your car and underneath well.

Will a cherokee with 6" of lift be street legal? - should be as long as it passes normal safety stuff (light, wipers, tires, brakes, ball joints, tie rods)

How tough is the vehicle code? outside of the safety inspection if you have a 96 or newer they plug in ODBII to make sure there are no codes and verify your smog stuff works. Some stations are stricter than others but you won't get out of many if your vehicle isn't safe.

If you want to be a little more secluded you can move east of Raleigh to Johnston County and be closer to the beach and have a little more space. You can also move up North to Granville county. I have lived in both places and liked them a lot.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:13 AM  

How often do you come across a poisonous snake? Around here everyone talks about rattle snakes, scorpions and other venomous critters. In reality they aren't nearly as prevalent as most people think. In my 5 years here I've seen a 4 scorpions, no dangerous snakes but a bunch of spiders.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads