Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Real Estate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2011, 06:16 PM  

Colorado
Is this agent unprofessional?

My friend wanted me to use her brother to help us find a house. I signed a contract ( stupid me). His sister and I are not getting along right now and I think it's rubbing off on him. He get along pretty good overall but one time he made a comment to me because I wanted to offer a lower price on a house, so when I got out of the car to look at the house he suddently blurts out, you think we can get this for 100K? I was just kind of stunned and laughed it off. Then he goes how many plaques and awards do you have? I said none. He said well I have many.

Then a couple weeks later we went to look at a foreclosure and I made an offer on it and the bank contered 10k higher, which was not bad and still a good deal. But I told him I only saw the house for 15 minutes and after thinking about it, the yard was simply too small and the houses behind it were very close. He said then why would you have me go through all this work if you were not serious.

Another time a friend of mine told me she knew a builder and would probably get me a deal on a house. I told my realtor and he said did you tell him you are working with someone? He ggoes you have a contract with me! I said well I don't even think I like the area the homes are in and didn't even talk to the guy yet. Next thing I know he called the builder before I even had a chance.

I am getting some real bad vibes from this and don't know what to do or how to get out of this. He has not been real helpful helping me find a house. He says he doesn't want to hurt his rep by offering bids lower than what the seller is asking for the house.

What can I do to get out of this?

Old 08-11-2011, 06:25 PM  

I've never heard of signing a contract to have someone show you houses. I'd read the fine print closely, and possibly pay a few bucks to get some legal advice. I personally feel this realtor is getting extremely hungry, and seems quite unprofessional to me.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:55 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
What kid of a contract did you sign?
Old 08-13-2011, 10:17 PM  

Colorado
That we can't use another realtor in 6 months.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:57 AM  
Clown

Casa Grande, Arizona
You can purchase a house and work with another agent. Just be aware that the original agent you have the contract with can legally sue for commission. Honestly it has no real bearing on you, as they will take this out of fees during the purchase of the house.

They may curse you, but the chances of them actually going after you are slim to none. It hurts their reputation more especially if you aren't satisfied with their service. Most of those agreements are also between you and the broker company anyway. You can probably switch agents within the company no problem. I'm sure if you went above his head to his boss and asked for another agent he would be more helpful or they would assign you another agent regardless.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:51 AM  

You can get out of it.

As someone else already said, you can use another agent, but the original one can horn in on the commission.

However, what I have done twice now, is to write a letter to both the agent and his manager detailing my reasons for dissatisfaction with the agent, documenting several things that the agent did or did not do including what he has said that I thought were unprofessional. In both cases, we could switch to another agent, and even another real estate company without any repercussions.

They realized that I had valid reasons, and their reputation would suffer more by trying to force me to stay as a customer than letting me totally out of the contract. Interestingly, both unsatisfactory realtors were from the same company, (thought different locations), and in the first instance I totally switched to a different company, and on the second instance, i went with a different realtor from the same office, but he was recommended by a trusted friend.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:12 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I hate to say it but this is why you don't do business with friends or family.

If someone not connected to me had said that I would have done my damnedest to get out of that contract or waited six months out of spite. Now it's only going to work to make your relationship more tense.

Sorry you are having to go through this.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:24 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Then he goes how many plaques and awards do you have? I said none. He said well I have many.
They're like a participation award in grade school.

Quote:
I am getting some real bad vibes from this and don't know what to do or how to get out of this. He has not been real helpful helping me find a house. He says he doesn't want to hurt his rep by offering bids lower than what the seller is asking for the house.

What can I do to get out of this?
anything legally possible or wait 6 months.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:42 PM  

Colorado
I could wait the full 6 months, but I would like a house. I am living in a rental house now for the past 6 months. I had to wait until I sold my old house in another state before I could look for a new one, that's why I been in this rental for over 6 months already.

I am supposed to meet with my realtor for dinner tonight. I know he is angry with me for backing out of the one house, even though it was nice, after I thought about it the backyard was just too small. So I am sure the whole evening he is going to make me feel stupid and push me into a house I really don't want to live in. This is a big investment for me and I don't like how he is treating me.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:06 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcherry View Post
I could wait the full 6 months, but I would like a house. I am living in a rental house now for the past 6 months. I had to wait until I sold my old house in another state before I could look for a new one, that's why I been in this rental for over 6 months already.

I am supposed to meet with my realtor for dinner tonight. I know he is angry with me for backing out of the one house, even though it was nice, after I thought about it the backyard was just too small. So I am sure the whole evening he is going to make me feel stupid and push me into a house I really don't want to live in. This is a big investment for me and I don't like how he is treating me.
I would fire him. He is rude and very unprofessional. Use another agent and keep your mouth shut. Make sure its not an agent hes buddy buddy with. Or find a lawyer and have the contract nullified because hes a ******bag.

I have many realtors in my family and I've considered it myself. None of them make people sign contracts. He probably had you sign one because he got sick of running off his clientele.

I'd tell him to shove off and find another realtor. JUST KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Real Estate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads