Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2010, 01:10 PM  
FT

Monongahela, Pennsylvania
America's Religion

I was listening to Glenn Beck the other day and I heard him and he paraphrased Benjamen Franklin talking about religion. Ben said that the religion of America is to help God, and to help God because there is a God, help your fellow men.

any thoughts?

Old 10-09-2010, 03:01 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
honestly things like this is why i hate Glenn Beck. he is taking both christianity and the religious freedom of America out of context. God doesnt need help. we do. we depend on him, not the other way around. and if ben franklin said that, he has it wrong too. the bible, both of them need to read it instead of trying to re-write it.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:51 AM  
Great Dane Loving Jeeper

San Antonio, TX
Glen Beck is an interestig fellow. I disagree with most of his stuff but he is indeed interesting. Mixing religion and politics is a great recipie for disaster.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:45 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I listen to him occasionally at work through my headphones when nothing else is on, and he's a really, really interesting guy to listen to.

I can't decide if he's just plain crazy, or a genius. One of the two.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 10-29-2010, 09:53 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whybu1 View Post
Glen Beck is an interestig fellow. I disagree with most of his stuff but he is indeed interesting. Mixing religion and politics is a great recipie for disaster.

Most Glorious God, in Jesus Christ, my merciful and loving Father; I acknowledge and confess my guilt in the weak and imperfect performance of the duties of this day. I have called on Thee for pardon and forgiveness of my sins, but so coldly and carelessly that my prayers are become my sin, and they stand in need of pardon. I have sinned against heaven and before Thee in thought, word, and deed. I have contemned Thy majesty and holy laws. I have likewise sinned by omitting what I ought to have done and committing what I ought not. I have rebelled against the light, despising Thy mercies and judgment, and broken my vows and promise. I have neglected the better things. My iniquities are multiplied and my sins are very great. I confess them, O Lord, with shame and sorrow, detestation and loathing and desire to be vile in my own eyes as I have rendered myself vile in Thine. I humbly beseech Thee to be merciful to me in the free pardon of my sins for the sake of Thy dear Son and only Savior Jesus Christ who came to call not the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Thou gavest Thy Son to die for me. Make me to know what is acceptable in Thy sight, and therein to delight, open the eyes of my understanding, and help me thoroughly to examine myself concerning my knowledge, faith, and repentance, increase my faith, and direct me to the true object, Jesus Christ the Way, the Truth, and the Life." - Authentic handwritten manuscript book, April 23, 1752

Take a stab at who wrote this.....

I'm waiting...................

Give up?...........................................

I'll give you and hint.............................................

Are still going to conclude that God and Gov is/was a disaster???????????

George Washington.

Huh? imagine that.....

Scott
Old 10-29-2010, 10:22 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Oh my, I feel a great argument brewing!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 10-30-2010, 02:25 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
You might also find this interesting-

Quote:
31. That no clergyman, or preacher of the gospel, of any denomination, shall be capable of being a member of either the senate, house of commons, or council of state, while he continues in the exercise of his pastoral function.
32. That no person who shall deny the being of God, or the truth of the Protestant religion, or the divine authority of either the Old or New Testaments, or who shall hold religious principles incompatible with the freedom and safety of the State, shall b e capable of holding any office, or place of trust or profit, in the civil department, within this State.
33. That the justices of the peace, within their respective counties in this State, shall in future be recommended to the governor for the time being, by the representatives in general assembly; and the governor shall commission them accordingly; and the justices, when so commissioned, shall hold their offices during good behaviour, and shall not be removed from office by the general assembly, unless for misbehaviour, absence, or inability. 34. That there shall be no establishment of any one religious church or denomination in this State, in preference to any other; neither shall any person, on any pretense whatsoever be compelled to attend any place of worship contrary to his own faith or j udgement, nor be obliged to pay for the purchase of any glebe, or the building of any house of worship, or for the maintenance of any minister or ministry, contrary to what he believes right, or has voluntarily and personally engaged to perform; but all persons shall be at liberty to exercise their own mode of worship: Provided, that nothing herein contained shall be construed to exempt preachers of treasonable or seditious discourses, from legal trial and punishment.
Constitution of North Carolina, 1776
Scott
Old 11-01-2010, 04:30 PM  

Charlotte, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmurphy View Post
You might also find this interesting-

Constitution of North Carolina, 1776
Scott
And they are attempting to strike that rediculous failure of the seperation of church and state as we speak.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:45 PM  

Charlotte, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmurphy View Post
Most Glorious God, in Jesus Christ, my merciful and loving Father; I acknowledge and confess my guilt in the weak and imperfect performance of the duties of this day. I have called on Thee for pardon and forgiveness of my sins, but so coldly and carelessly that my prayers are become my sin, and they stand in need of pardon. I have sinned against heaven and before Thee in thought, word, and deed. I have contemned Thy majesty and holy laws. I have likewise sinned by omitting what I ought to have done and committing what I ought not. I have rebelled against the light, despising Thy mercies and judgment, and broken my vows and promise. I have neglected the better things. My iniquities are multiplied and my sins are very great. I confess them, O Lord, with shame and sorrow, detestation and loathing and desire to be vile in my own eyes as I have rendered myself vile in Thine. I humbly beseech Thee to be merciful to me in the free pardon of my sins for the sake of Thy dear Son and only Savior Jesus Christ who came to call not the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Thou gavest Thy Son to die for me. Make me to know what is acceptable in Thy sight, and therein to delight, open the eyes of my understanding, and help me thoroughly to examine myself concerning my knowledge, faith, and repentance, increase my faith, and direct me to the true object, Jesus Christ the Way, the Truth, and the Life." - Authentic handwritten manuscript book, April 23, 1752

Take a stab at who wrote this.....
I'm waiting...................
Give up?...........................................
I'll give you and hint.............................................
Are still going to conclude that God and Gov is/was a disaster???????????
George Washington.
Huh? imagine that.....
Scott
Washington was a Mason and an Unitarian... they have much different concepts of G-d than Protestant Christians
Franklin was a Quaker, again very different concepts.

What they weren't were Evangelicals.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:45 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
Washington was a Mason and an Unitarian... they have much different concepts of G-d than Protestant Christians
Franklin was a Quaker, again very different concepts.

What they weren't were Evangelicals.

Unitarian? I searched and only found one blogg reference.....nope....don't think so....

Why can you not bring yourself to type the word God? Very strange....and telling.

Short story-

Wife and I had dinner out Saturday night and in walks an Amish family, father, two sons, two daughters, a pregnant wife, and a non-Amish man that drove them there. Very authentic, true Amish. All I know of the Amish is what I've heard and read and in my travels I have seen them with their horse and buggies....never spoke to them though.
So what do I know about the Amish, other than may fascination, not a dam# thing. Never lived the Amish life and never had any personal contact.
Point is, if I were to sit and listen to fictitious stories about the Amish...I may just believe the lie.

I'm now 45, saved at age 7. I've been in and out of churches and denominations for all that time. I began a Baptist and I have returned to the Baptist tradition. I became a Methodist for 9 years, went to several "Christian" churches, Unitarian, two years in Catholicism, and other non-denominational churches. You have to have some experience over a period of time to see just how much the 'church' has devolved, just in my lifetime, tremendously so. It took me moving to E TN and finding a small Baptist church tucked into the hills for me to find my way back to the Baptist tradition as a knew it as a child.
What reference do you have of the complexity of the early church in what was then the colonies? What do these labels mean? What do they mean to the Christian vs the secular humanist? How have you any way to discern the truth? You have not, not personally. The next and only thing you can do is look to the original text of the person you are concerned with. In this case, George Washington. Below-

Quote:
From George Washington's private prayer journal. "O most glorious God ... Direct my thoughts, words and work, wash away my sins in the immaculate blood of the Lamb, and purge my heart by thy Holy Spirit.... Daily frame me more and more into the likeness of thy Son Jesus Christ.... Thou gavest thy Son to die for me, and hast given me assurance of salvation...."
"Cleanse my soul O Lord, I beseech thee, from whatever is offensive to thee, and hurtful to me, and give me what is convenient for me. Watch over me this night, and give me comfortable and sweet sleep to fit me for the service of the day following. Let my soul watch for the coming of the Lord Jesus; let my bed put me in mind of my grave, and my rising from there of my last resurrection; O heavenly Father, so frame this heart of mine, that I may ever delight to live according to thy will and command, in holiness and righteousness before thee all the days of my life."
"Almighty God…I yield Thee humble and hearty thanks that thou has preserved me from the danger of the night past, and brought me to the light of the day, and the comforts thereof, a day which is consecrated to Thine own service and for Thine own honor. Let my heart, therefore, Gracious God, be so affected with the glory and majesty of it, that I may not do mine own works, but wait on thee, and discharge those weighty duties thou requirest of me."
http://www.earstohear.net/Heritage/gwashington.html

Since you rejected or dismissed the first prayer of GW's that I posted, above is another, this one has all the references to Christ in red.
I refer back to my point that you have no reference......unless you look to the original text. Also, define evangelical? How's this: One, who by faith, through a personal relationship with God, believes in the Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, and accepts the salvation offered through the shed Blood of Christ at Calvary.
George Washington can be categorized by no other than that of Christian, Evangelical Christian no less.

Rethink.

Scott

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!