Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2011, 01:44 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaberryeagle View Post
Not really!......I'm sure you are very familiar with the Bible, you just don't want to believe in it.........
Are you suggesting that I should simply choose to ignore the parts of the bible that have led me to believe Christianity is not true?
Quote:

here's a link you may have missed and may like to be aware of......

Fort Bragg approves the massive on-post atheist festival, RBB | Rock Beyond Belief
Thank you for the link; I am aware of the event.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:51 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Quote:
rivalarrival;Are you suggesting that I should simply choose to ignore the parts of the bible that have led me to believe Christianity is not true?
Don't ignore them, just make sure you have the right interpretation of what it is saying.....not having been schooled on the Bible, I might have wrong impressions of some parts, too! But, I would still rather be a "Christian".

Old 08-07-2011, 10:31 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Don't ignore them, just make sure you have the right interpretation of what it is saying.....not having been schooled on the Bible, I might have wrong impressions of some parts, too! But, I would still rather be a "Christian".
Who determines the "right" interpretation?
Old 08-07-2011, 11:25 AM  
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
The Biblical & Theological Studies at the "Divinity Colleges".........

http://www.google.com/search?q=divinity+college&rlz=1I7ADBR_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7
Old 08-07-2011, 12:11 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
but then what happens as science progresses and we learn more that prves more of it is untrue, what had started out as being regarded as literal has changed over time to mean figuratively speaking, it's a moving target, how about taking it to mean what it ACTUALLY SAYS, I know it's a very novel concept for most christians and would emphasize alot of the absurdities and contradictions but that is what the bible has.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:01 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
People whose lives are lost in religious forums?
Old 08-07-2011, 03:27 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
The Biblical & Theological Studies at the "Divinity Colleges".........

http://www.google.com/search?q=divinity+college&rlz=1I7ADBR_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7
Are you saying that the only people with the "right interpretation" (your words) are those participating in biblical and theological studies at a divinity college?

If so, what is the purpose for anyone else to read the bible? If only divinity college students and instructors have the "right interpretation", shouldn't everyone else acquire biblical knowledge from these people, rather than suffer from the "wrong impressions" (your words) of their own studies?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:30 AM  
Supporting Member

Quote:
Are you saying that the only people with the "right interpretation" (your words) are those participating in biblical and theological studies at a divinity college?

If so, what is the purpose for anyone else to read the bible? If only divinity college students and instructors have the "right interpretation", shouldn't everyone else acquire biblical knowledge from these people, rather than suffer from the "wrong impressions" (your words) of their own studies?
That's why they become "teachers" (Ministers, etc.) to share the knowledge they have gained, but you study the Bible to obtain all of the information written there, as you would by reading any book. Then you are more enlightened as you attend the "services" and hear their interpretation.

AUDIO BIBLE:
http://www.audio-bible.com/bible/bible.html

An example just pulled from this Bible at random..........

Quote:
JUDE CHAPTER 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 ? Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:
2 Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, be multiplied.
3 ? Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
5 I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.
6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.
8 ? Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.
9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.
10 But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.
11 Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.
12 These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;
13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.
14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
15 ? To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.
16 These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.
17 But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;
18 How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.
19 These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.
20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:
23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:37 AM  
Supporting Member

Search the Bible in any language:

http://www.biblegateway.com/newsletters/

THE AUDIO BIBLE:
http://www.audio-bible.com/bible/bible.html

http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/audio/
Old 08-08-2011, 07:49 AM  

It is my understanding and experience that the role of scripture in ones life is based on revelation that results in relationship. When interpretation precedes either of these factors, both are compromised, if not suspect.

The bible is one of the ways God reveals himself. If that revelation is realized, and accepted, a relationship ensues. Based on that relationship, one will interpret the Word of God in an evolving, ever changing, way....better known as sanctification. While revelation is monogistic (God alone acts.), the sanctification process is synergistic (Man acts, as a result of, and in relationship w/ God.). Everyone who has God revealed to them through scripture matures/learns/understands that relationship differently. As a relationship builds between a believer and God, a greater depth is realized in relation to revelation, which in turn determines ones interpretation.

Basically, you can't have a relationship with someone you don't know. If someone hasn't been introduced/revealed to you, you can't build on a relationship with them. Then there are those who are offered a relationship, through introduction, but choose not to go further than the introduction.

Priority of word relationship is as follows:
1 revelation/introduction
2 acceptance or rejection of that relationship
3 (if accepted) sanctification/growing in that relationship
4 interpretation

Since every relationship is different.....every interpretation is different as well. "Schools of divinity" have their own specific interpretation based on the theology of it's founders. For example Methodist seminaries will have an Arminian slant, while a Presbyterian seminary will have a Calvinist slant, and so on. While the "interpretation" may differ, The Savior, Christ Jesus, is never changing. His work and purpose is the same for all Christian religions.

"Interpretation" without revelation based on a relationship is merely "parroting"!

My

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!