Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2010, 01:04 AM  
Carolina Jeep Girl

Charlotte, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmurphy View Post
Well Jake, I guess you are ignorant of southern heritage. I cannot help it if the flag has been co-opted by those you mention. Nor will I cower to the like of you who choose to insult our southern heritage.

Further, Jake, my avatar is intentional, it draws out the haters, you.

Scott
I am also proud of my southern heritage myself, but I do not see any insult in Jake's post. It's sad but factual, not insulting. It's misinterpreted. Just as you misinterpreted Jake's avatar. But I don't know if your remark was truly that or sarcasm.

However,
I celebrate without symbol. I don't need them.

Symbols to me are lost in translation.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:24 AM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahdactyl View Post
I am also proud of my southern heritage myself, but I do not see any insult in Jake's post. It's sad but factual, not insulting. It's misinterpreted. Just as you misinterpreted Jake's avatar. But I don't know if your remark was truly that or sarcasm.

However,
I celebrate without symbol. I don't need them.

Symbols to me are lost in translation.
He was associating me with the likes of Neo-Nazis...as in guilt by association. But really? you didn't get that?

Scott

Old 11-02-2010, 07:03 AM  
Tea Party Liberal

Mesa, Az
Quote:
He was associating me with the likes of Neo-Nazis...as in guilt by association. But really? you didn't get that?

Scott
I believe that Jake7 was referring to your avatar-------the Stars and Bars. Unfortunately; its rep has been all but ruined for the reasons he posted----------much like the Nazis co-opting the Swastika 70 years ago. And the irony is the the Swastika has the same meaning to an East Indian Hindu, certain American Indians, etc. as the cross has to almost any Christian.

PS: I am in part of 'Southern' heritage, my maternal grandmother's family had deep roots in the Orange, Va. area 100+ years ago (many of my distant cousins, both White and 'Obama Black' are still there) and I an 99.9% sure I can claim to be a son of the Confederacy. Yes, I have many pro Southern sentiments although their attempt to break up the Union was wrong IMHO.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:11 AM  
Tea Party Liberal

Mesa, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Scroll up; I already posted my thoughts and, for the sake of decorum on this site, I refuse to add fuel to the fire. Note that I am a Wiccan and that is anathema to many 'conservative' Christians, Muslims, etc. I respect the latter folks' religious paths (even though I may strongly disagree on many of their points) and I expect them to respect mine.
Quote:
I don't see a Wiccan thread posted...did I miss something?

Funny how that works.... So I walk into your room and start telling you all about how you don't respect me....hun?.....So when was the last time one of us conservitive types went into your space?

Start a Wiccan thread.....see how you get bothered....it'll be lonely in there.....

Scott
No, you did not comment on my spiritual path. I stated my feelings to head off any possible conflict here on this thread.

BTW: I am conservative in quite a few regards as well. Illegal immigration needs to be stopped and mass deportations of the people affected need to commence as well as 2nd Amendment rights are two biggies for me.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:43 AM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I believe that Jake7 was referring to your avatar-------the Stars and Bars. Unfortunately; its rep has been all but ruined for the reasons he posted----------much like the Nazis co-opting the Swastika 70 years ago. And the irony is the the Swastika has the same meaning to an East Indian Hindu, certain American Indians, etc. as the cross has to almost any Christian.

PS: I am in part of 'Southern' heritage, my maternal grandmother's family had deep roots in the Orange, Va. area 100+ years ago (many of my distant cousins, both White and 'Obama Black' are still there) and I an 99.9% sure I can claim to be a son of the Confederacy. Yes, I have many pro Southern sentiments although their attempt to break up the Union was wrong IMHO.

History is repeating its self.

Scott
Old 11-02-2010, 01:06 PM  
Carolina Jeep Girl

Quote:

Scott
You were saying that his avatar represented the devil, ect. And Jake is not associated with the Devil

And he replied with the same response. How the flag (your avatar) is associated with the KKK, ect. And you are not associated with those clans.

He was simply stating how the symbol in your avatar is used just as you stated how the symbol in his avatar is used.

Jake was not insulting you.

It's funny. because me Jake's avatar says "Love" because it's sign language for "Love". If his thumb was drawn in then I would see it as "Devil horns"
And your avatar is a symbol for my heritage. Heritage Not Hate
Old 11-02-2010, 01:30 PM  

Bah, even with the thumb down saying that its a Satanic symbol is a stretch. Paranoia by extremist fundamental evangelicals that all rock music was "of the devil" and playing Slayer songs backwards had messages from Satan on them. Well who plays their music backwards anyway, except for country music fans when they want to get thier dog back, their house back, their truck back, and their girl back.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:09 PM  
Traveler

Knoxville, TN
No, that is devil stuff. not is not good man, not good.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:22 PM  
southern conservative

Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
Bah, even with the thumb down saying that its a Satanic symbol is a stretch. Paranoia by extremist fundamental evangelicals that all rock music was "of the devil" and playing Slayer songs backwards had messages from Satan on them. Well who plays their music backwards anyway, except for country music fans when they want to get thier dog back, their house back, their truck back, and their girl back.

OK THAT'S IT!!!!!

We country people don't WANT the wives back, we just want the DAMN DOG AND TRUCK!
Old 11-02-2010, 05:49 PM  

Thank you for adding some much needed humor to this thread. + 1 for you!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.