Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2011, 08:36 PM  
AK 47 toting Liberal!

Congratulations Rev Terry Jones!

You wanted the attention and headlinehttp Hoorah! You did it right this time! Riots In Afghanistan Follow Fla. Quran Burning : NPR Some people lack the intelligence God gave a grapefruit!

Old 04-02-2011, 10:45 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
well the point he was making was there, just for burning a book people in these countries have gone ape**** over it, If that is what they wanna do then let's let them either burn themselves out with these riots to where they have no choice other then to accept that free speech exists or until they commit an act of war and we bomb them into submission

I hate to sound like that, but as long as religious fanatics are coddled by "respecting" their insane demands that the rest of the world bows to their religious beliefs that the freedom of expression worldwide should be restricted to appease them it just makes the situation worse in the long run. Kind of like giving your kid candy whenever they want, sure it shuts them up for a little bit, but do it too much and they become spoiled and there are a lot of Muslim countries that need some "tough love".

Old 04-03-2011, 06:03 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
well the point he was making was there, just for burning a book people in these countries have gone ape**** over it, If that is what they wanna do then let's let them either burn themselves out with these riots to where they have no choice other then to accept that free speech exists or until they commit an act of war and we bomb them into submission

I hate to sound like that, but as long as religious fanatics are coddled by "respecting" their insane demands that the rest of the world bows to their religious beliefs that the freedom of expression worldwide should be done to appease them it just makes the situation worse in the long run. Kind of like giving your kid candy whenever they want, sure it shuts them up for a little bit, but do it too much and they become spoiled and there are a lot of muslim countries that need some "tough love".
Measured sanity within the "Religion/Philosophy" forum....tell me NO! I can appreciate the lashing out at some of the radicals professing to be Christians but to imply that all Christians are extreme is tantamount to saying all Muslims seek to remove your head. There are extremist in every religion. The questions are; historically, how has a particular religion demonstrated it's extremist behavior and how has it demonstrated it's faith at the purest level?

Preacher Terry is an embarrassment, not just to Christians, but to any sane thoughtful person. He does not practice his professed faith at a level that the majority of Christians do. Pick any Muslim that has grabbed the headlines with his extreme religiosity and most Muslims would not agree with him either.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:12 AM  
AK 47 toting Liberal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post

I hate to sound like that, but as long as religious fanatics are coddled by "respecting" their insane demands that the rest of the world bows to their religious beliefs that the freedom of expression worldwide should be done to appease them it just makes the situation worse in the long run. Kind of like giving your kid candy whenever they want, sure it shuts them up for a little bit, but do it too much and they become spoiled and there are a lot of muslim countries that need some "tough love".
This has nothing to do with religion or free speech. This is about getting attention and stupidity. This man, a supposed christian, promotes hatred and bigotry. He knew what his actions would create. He was warned about it. As far as I'm concerned, he has those peoples blood on his hands, and he can take that to heaven! I really hope it was worth the nearly zero media attention! This guy needs to not only read his bible, but internalize its message. There's a huge difference, and I'm not going to say another word......I think!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:52 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
This has nothing to do with religion or free speech. This is about getting attention and stupidity. This man, a supposed christian, promotes hatred and bigotry. He knew what his actions would create. He was warned about it. As far as I'm concerned, he has those peoples blood on his hands, and he can take that to heaven! I really hope it was worth the nearly zero media attention! This guy needs to not only read his bible, but internalize its message. There's a huge difference, and I'm not going to say another word......I think!
for what? why would he be guilty, he just damaged destroyed a book !! If people on the other side of the world kill each other over it then that is their fault. I know they guy is a bigot, but he wanted to show how insane they are over there and that is what he did.

Muslim Publics Divided on Hamas and Hezbollah | Pew Global Attitudes Project

when about half the population still supports death for leaving islam and stoning for adultery(In Nigeria). As well as in many of the countries polled there was about a 25% support for justified suicide bombings then this is not just a "fringe" group,but majority of people in some of these countries would easily be labeled as as having extremist views. Believe me, I hate all forms of religion, but at least christians tend to shun most forms of hatred (except for gays which is still religiously acceptable)

The problem there isn't a cultural insensitivity, but a problem of a culture of horrible lack of human rights.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:53 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
" I really hope it was worth the nearly zero media attention!"

He has 15 followers in his mini-church. Twenty died for his actions. If Christianity had insane jihadists they would be a lot like Terry.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:01 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
The problem there isn't a cultural insensitivity, but a problem of a culture of horrible lack of human rights.
Islam mired the Middle East in the 15th century. The clash here is between two cultures separated by 600 years. If the war isn't against Islam itself at this point it will be before this is over.

Powerful nations will not long allow pests to survive once they tire of the novelty of exploding underpants and desert shooting galleries.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:42 PM  
BignastyGS

Loganton, Pa
That man is nothing more than an attention monger.Yes,it's just a book in some peoples eyes,but he certainly knew the repercussions before he did his little stunt. He knew the knee jerk action it would cause. Having a mock trial was a total dumbass stunt. I guess he never heard the separation of church and state. By doing the trial,be bastardized Christianity to many and made many non Christians hate Christianity even more. I guess he didn't think of what could have happened to our troops over there by the extremists who live there.My son in law is now in even in more danger because some idiot wanted media attention. He is no better than the wacko's over there..
Old 04-03-2011, 01:55 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I guess he didn't think of what could have happened to our troops over there by the extremists who live there.
With God so squarely on his side I doubt he cared.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:16 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
With God so squarely on his side I doubt he cared.
The human condition is a complex thing. blucher's statement, like it or not, is correct and defendable from Terry Jone's (and his "congregation's") position. While his beliefs are bizarre to most they are correct to him. I am sure he truly feels God is in his corner.

Terry is as confident of his actions being directed by God as an atheist is confident that there is no God.

I find it interesting that two extreme positions can be so close upon analysis. If there is a God, most would say Terry is lost. If God does not exist all are lost!

Simply complex!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!