Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2010, 09:40 PM  
Hillbilly Delux

Sapulpa, Oklahoma
Holiday tree, or Christmas tree????

This ought to get some people hot!! Why do people get offended when we call it a Christmas Tree?? Which is what it is.. Please feel free to voice your opinion...

Old 12-16-2010, 11:47 AM  
Buckwheat Brewery

Bixby, OK
Dang it! Just typed up a response and forgot to log in and now I lost it!!

Soo let's try this again.

I don't get it either! I can guarantee you that the same people who get offended by the term Christmas won't get offended when they receive a Christmas present, Christmas bonus, extended days off of work for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, or even saving money on all the Christmas sales throughout town so let's call it what it is. It isn't a holiday tree. We don't put up and decorate trees for Thanksgiving or New Years or any other holiday just for Christmas. We don't call Easter eggs holiday eggs and we don't eat a holiday turkey for Thanksgiving. So it only makes sense to call it a Christmas Tree. Besides what are we celebrating on Dec. 25th??? The birth of Christ, not the "Holidays" ... This political correctness has got to go. ....Well Fish you were correct. Time to calm down and get back to work! Haha

Old 01-13-2011, 07:16 AM  

Mounds, Ok
It's a CHRISTmas tree, if we let the non believers become the majority of the USA, then we will have to hide our beliefs.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:54 AM  

tulsa, oklahoma
i agree. the politically correctness of this country has started taking christians rights from them. everyone came here to have freedom of religion, now that we have that, the non-majority are trying to take away the freedom of the majority. that is not right. it has always been christmas and will always be christmas. i understand everyone saying happy holidays, but holiday tree has gone too far.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:48 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfish88 View Post
This ought to get some people hot!! Why do people get offended when we call it a Christmas Tree?? Which is what it is.. Please feel free to voice your opinion...
the problem is that is not what it really is at all, technically it's yule tree before christians took over the tradition and winter solstice celebration to gain more converts from pagan religions. So now it is evolving again and in a few hundred years it may only be referred to as a "holiday tree" while "christmas tree" loses it's meaning like "yule tree" lost it's meaning.

personally if you are a christian then call it a christmas tree, if you aren't a christian call it a holiday tree, if someone refers to their tree as a "holiday tree" then let it be a "holiday tree" and vice versa.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:53 PM  
Hillbilly Delux

Sapulpa, Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
the problem is that is not what it really is at all, technically it's yule tree before christians took over the tradition and winter solstice celebration to gain more converts from pagan religions. So now it is evolving again and in a few hundred years it may only be referred to as a "holiday tree" while "christmas tree" loses it's meaning like "yule tree" lost it's meaning.

personally if you are a christian then call it a christmas tree, if you aren't a christian call it a holiday tree, if someone refers to their tree as a "holiday tree" then let it be a "holiday tree" and vice versa.
I completely agree with people calling it whatever they want, but if I have to respect what they call it, why do they get so irritated when i call it a CHRISTmas tree?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:42 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Christmas tree for the win!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 01-20-2011, 06:45 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfish88 View Post
I completely agree with people calling it whatever they want, but if I have to respect what they call it, why do they get so irritated when i call it a CHRISTmas tree?
well because they would assume you are associating it with christianity and not everyone is a christian so by assuming it is then you are alienating others by religion
Old 01-20-2011, 01:44 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
We can argue about the origins of winter solstace, blah de blah. But the fact of the matter is, in today's day in age, Christmas is about Christianity, and, therefore, a Christmas tree is a Christmas tree. If you don't believe in Christianity, that's fine, don't buy a Christmas tree. I just don't think they should buy a Christmas tree, which celebrates a Christian holiday, and then try to change the name. Don't do it at all.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 01-20-2011, 02:08 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
We can argue about the origins of winter solstace, blah de blah. But the fact of the matter is, in today's day in age, Christmas is about Christianity, and, therefore, a Christmas tree is a Christmas tree. If you don't believe in Christianity, that's fine, don't buy a Christmas tree. I just don't think they should buy a Christmas tree, which celebrates a Christian holiday, and then try to change the name. Don't do it at all.
compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
We can argue about the origins of winter solstace, blah de blah. But the fact of the matter is, in today's day in age, The winter solstice is about Paganism, and, therefore, a yule tree is a yule tree. If you don't believe in paganism, that's fine, don't buy a yule tree. I just don't think they should buy a yule tree, which celebrates a pagan holiday, and then try to change the name. Don't do it at all.
seriously christians, don't steal our trees!!!!!

think about what you just said and then consider what likely happened when christianity took it from the pagans and renamed it. It's a "yule tree" and if the church wants one they should refer to it as a "yule tree", things evolve over time, just as the yule tree evolved into the christmas tree in can very well evolve into the holiday tree and several hundred years from now most people may forgot it was ever a holiday tree and complaining about it now being called the "The Oprahism tree" or whatever the next religion to become popular is.

It sounds to me like you just don't like something popular being pulled out of christianity and into the mainstream. I know the whole santa claus and presents is a great brainwashing tool for kids to get them into christianity if you present it as being attached to christianity, but it is time to move on, the "christmas tree" and "christmas" holiday are no longer just christian celebrations, they have evolved and moved on, just as christians stole the holiday from another religion it is now being stolen from christianity.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Religion / Philosophy
Bookmark this Page!