Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Rhode Island
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2010, 02:47 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
The America's Cup, Newport, Rhode Island

I haven't been back to Newport since the Americas cup left town. As a kid my parent's both had sailboats the Mystic area and we spent many a weekend anchored in Newport checking out the Syndicate encampments.

Whats it like now as far as a vacation type destination? Hopefully it hasn't lost it charm..

Old 09-23-2010, 02:57 PM  

newport, RI
well I wasn't here in 1986 but I live and work here in the maritime industry and I believe it is still quite charming. there are quite a few 12ms that call newport homport and you can take a sail on them for a nominal fee of course. sailboat rentals are available and there is as always quite the nightlife. At my last count there are five museums and of course the herreshoff museum only about 40 minutes away in the colonial village of bristol. Bristol is also a great new england colonial village a bit less crowded than newport in the summer. I think now is the best time to be in newport. most of the crowds have left but the weather is still great.
hope that helps.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:22 PM  

Newport, Rhode Island
Newport is still a nice city (I live there!) and they have taken good care of it's history. Although it looks like we won't host the America's Cup next time, it's still possible we will get some of the pre races. Larry Ellison (owner of Oracle) bought Astor's mansion on Bellevue, so that should say something...
Old 01-26-2011, 12:02 PM  

Providence, RI
Newport is still a nice city, just don't limit yourself to the area around Americas Cup Ave. All summer on Saturdays there are Polo matches just north of newport center, as well as vineyards to the north such as Sakonnet Vineyards.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Rhode Island
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads