Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Rhode Island
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2010, 02:56 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Block Island, Rhode Island

My all time favorite place in the United States.. Again, as a kid I spent many summer vacation anchored in The Great Salt Pond, sailing the dinghy, fishing and exploring..

Two summers ago we rented a couple of rooms at the Gothic Inn for a week.. The place hasn't changed much at all.. Mid June seemed like a great time to visit, technically off season so no traffic and the rates are low for rooms, scooters and bikes.

The Island has a fascinating history dating back to pre 1500 A.D., Indians, Civil War, WWI and WWII..

I highly recommend it as an unknown must see in the North East.

I would love to hear any stories about experiences related to the island..

Old 09-21-2010, 08:24 AM  

Wethersfield, CT
I, too, spent many summers there on my parents' boat tied up to Payne's Dock or on the hook in Great Salt Pond. I have fond memories of just generally goofing around, taking off with some random kid in their Whaler, fishing off the breakwater, squid and sandshark fishing off the swimplatform at night, diving, eating too many of Mrs. Payne's donuts, Aldo's pastry boat in navigating through the harbor in the morning, walking the docks of Champlin's and B.I. Island Boat Basin with my father while dreaming of owing one of those boats someday. Ballard's was blast, even more so when I got to drinking age (or at least close to it).

I haven't been back since having kids of my own but really need to get back out there. This coming summer I'm going to make sure we all get there so my kids can have some B.I. memories of their own!

Old 09-22-2010, 08:18 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Details are a little fuzzy but do you remember the the wooden barge beached near one of the marinas? I remember seeing a butt load of lobsters coming out of it just past dusk and it pissed me off because I wasn't allowed to scoop any up for a free dinner..

Aldo's, hell yeah, that was some good stuff.

I remember, being fascinated by the kite store on Corn Neck between the pond and the beach, fishing at the inlet channel during tidal changes, seeing the 12 meters come in for lunch break..

I was on Island from roughly 1978- 1982'ish.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:02 PM  

newport, RI
right now is a pretty good time too IMO. after the summer rush but still great weather to be had.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:21 PM  
OSJ Events Coordinator

Warwick, RI
like the rest of the state way to much new construction from people who feel the need to own a multimillion dollar house
Old 10-08-2010, 11:46 AM  

Bethesda, MD
The Block isn't really like the rest of the state as far as new construction goes. At least 35% of the island is conserved meaning it can't be built upon. If you look at the land ads in that fourth estate member, the Block Island Times, you can see some of the land that is available. Its not really selling right now due to the recession.
In a previouse post someone mentioned a wooden barge with lobsters living in its hull. Is that the barge on which the harbormaster's office is precariously perched?
Old 10-11-2010, 12:20 PM  

providence, Ri
lets not forget the sunken u-boat, its a great dive site.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:33 PM  

coventry, rhode island
i went aroung the whole island on a moped in an hour

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Rhode Island
Bookmark this Page!