Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Rhode Island
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2010, 10:12 AM  

Pawtucket, ri
Growing Hops in RI

Anyone out there growing hops in the backyard?? I've got cascade and halletau growing.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:11 PM  

Halertau, santium, northern brewer, fuggles, willamette, and centennial (I think). The Stearling didn't make it. Something got to it before it took off. Three of everything but the Santium. I was away for work in the spring, when I got back they were so intertwined, there was no separating them, so they stayed on the ground. no cones this year.
I'll be cutting the roots back extensively this spring. Compost and mulch, maybe some pine straw to boost the soil PH. They like slightly acidic soil.
I've got a new trellis up, they should do really well next year, I hope. It will be the 4th year. Last year had decent production. I was away for work and missed the harvest for all but the Fuggles.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:40 AM  

Pawtucket, ri
I'd like to grow Fuggles next. As for the soil at my house, it's pretty acidic but I'll try the pine straw. Currently deployed to Kuwait so I'll have to wait for the 2012 season. Don't think my wife is going to tend to them as she should. She has a green thumb and enjoys beer so you would think she would be enthusiastic about maintaining them. I used the remains of a maple tree I cut down in the back yard for a trellis for the cascades (about a 30ft section still remains) and it worked great. The wife is vowing to have it cut down before I come home! I told her she has to replace it and build a trellis! Going to start brewing when I get back so she better have some sort of harvest waiting for me!!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:42 AM  

Thanks for serving man.
Hopefully it's still up when you get home. But if it isn't, I'm sure the Cascade will still be going. Once they are established, they are next to impossible to get rid of. They send runners everywhere.
When you get back and want to start some Fuggles, PM me. I'll give you some rhizomes. There are always tons to give away.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:21 AM  

We have a farm in Exeter with a little over 400 plants right now. Mostly Cascade but also Nugget, Chinook, and Newport. We had Sterling and Centennial but they didn't do so hot. We're expanding every year and adding more varieties as we go along.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:11 AM  

Pawtucket, ri
Nice! Have any suggestions for fertilizer for my plants in Pawtucket?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Rhode Island
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.