Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Rhode Island
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2010, 10:37 AM  

Pawtucket, ri
skydiving in RI

Any skydivers out there?

Old 12-20-2010, 02:00 PM  

Not from RI, but near the border. Spend lots of time in Woonsocket.
Jumped in Lincoln for a little bit before it closed.
Are you an active skydiver?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:28 AM  

Pawtucket, ri
Not yet; just bought a rig before I got deployed to Kuwait. I used to be one of the jump pilots for Robbie. Went to work for Carp at SNE from 2006-2007.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:52 AM  

Don't know Robbie. Where did you fly?
Getting to know Carp this year. Started a 4 way team last year out of JumpTown. The point and I (tail) joined with the inside center and outside center of the team from SNE. We'll be training out of there this upcoming season. Already started actually. Been flying at the tunnel in Nashua. We're heading down to XP (Paraclete) before the season starts. That tunnel is HUGE! We have a little difficulty with some of the randoms in Nashua and don't even attempt most of the blocks. Being over 6ft tall makes the 12 ft tunnel a bit difficult. Doesn't help that it's so easy to stall the fans.
I was in the Navy for 6 years. Being active duty can put a bit of a hamper on the skydiving. We always went to sea during the warmer months. Nothing like getting recurrent for the last three weeks of the season.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:25 PM  

Pawtucket, ri
Robbie was the owner of the dropzone that was at Lincon. You probably didn't see him because he was perpetually drunk!! You must of know Jerry. My name is T.J. I used to fly 94Q and 9B for him when I was there. My unit, 103d Field Artillery out of Providence, had the Brigade called up and they put me on active duty and kept me back to run things on this end back in July of 2004. Thanks for the Fuggles offer; definitely take you up on that. If your on facebook look me up (tj such). Merry Christmas!!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 PM  

Newport, Rhode Island
I have never jumped out of a plane, but I probably should do it some time this summer. It will probably be this place, since I live in Newport.
Skydiving in Rhode Island, Boston, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New England
Old 02-04-2011, 11:14 AM  

I want to skydive so bad!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:51 PM  

My buddy was telling me that the Skydive Newport guys were opening another place. Sounded like it was going to be Lincoln. Looks like it is.
It's another tandem factory tho, no fun jumping. I'm sure the airport still has a bad taste in it's mouth towards funjumpers considering the last operation.
I like the picture of Boston behind the jumpers, like they are flying out of Logan and landing in Boston Common. Not the 39.5 mi (by air) that they actually are.
I do like the pic behind the directions page. The tandem master is a guy that used to jump where I started in Walterboro, SC. Ran into him a few years later at Lincoln, Then again a few years later at Chicagoland in Hinckley, IL. Good guy, can't remember his name to save my life tho. I was pretty quiet and reserved when I was jumping in SC, so I mostly jumped solo and hung out on the fringes.
Don't get the naming of some of the dropzones around here. Funskydiving.com (yes Mauricio named the place with the dot com, a marketing thing), it used to be Boston/Providence skydiving center. A decent ride from both, although you could see them from altitude under perfect conditions if someone that knew what they were doing pointed them out.
Or was Lincoln Boston/Providence and Danielson (funskydiving) Boston/Hartford? Other DZs much closer to both.

Jon, I definitely recommend it. If you are approaching it as a once in a lifetime experience, something to do before you die. That would be an excellent place to go. From what I've heard, they are very customer oriented and really gear the jump towards the experience for the student (you). Not to mention the view. I've heard you get a great view of the coast. But if you think it is something you would like to pursue and become a jumper, you may be better off going somewhere else. The operation is geared mostly towards tandems with the occasional student. I'm sure their student program is good, but once you get off student status you are on your own since there is no funjumping. Now you need to find a new home DZ and try to find instructors and coaches, or other fun jumpers willing to look after you and ensure you continue down a good path of learning proper technique and adopting good safety habits. It can be hard if you didn't come thru their training program, nobody knows you or how you react in the air. People will be willing to help, you would just be required to make the effort to seek out the knowledge from the right people instead of having someone already looking out for you.

Where do you live? There are many options around New England. Pepperill, MA- Skydive Pepperill; Orange, MA- Jumptown (I'm partial, it's my home DZ); Lebanon, ME- Skydive New England (my home this year since my team is training out of there); Ellington, CT- CPI; Danielson, CT- Funskydiving (I spent a lot of time jumping here. It's a great place, but the fun jumpers have gravitated away from here. Being where they are, fuel costs are high, they operate at a loss with fun jumpers. You'll be in the same boat as Newport once you are off student status). There are 3 more in MA that are tandem only, none in NH, and a couple in VT. NY is an option too.

If you stuck thru all that and have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm in the middle of my tandem rating and plan on getting my AFF rating (teaching people how to skydive from no experience) in the spring. If I can't answer any of your questions, chances are I know where to find the answer. Of course our national organization is a wealth of knowledge too USPA.Org.

I never found skydiving to be a scary experience (had a few scary incidents). A lot of people find it terrifying, until they are actually out the door. Then it becomes an exhilarating, yet peaceful, experience. I think it all comes down to your approach to it. If you expect to be terrified, you probably will be. Then again, jumping out into 13,500 ft of air probably should be terrifying. The equipment is tested to extremes beyond what will be seen in a skydive and there is constant training and review of procedures as well as regular inspections of the equipment.
Just approach it with an open mind and don't expect it to be a scary experience and you will have fun. unless of course you want to be scared.

Sorry, I get long winded in text. I promise to try and keep the answers shorter if you have any questions

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Rhode Island
Bookmark this Page!