Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Rochester
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2010, 10:49 AM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Rochester area chimney sweep recommendation?

Nothing like the thrill buying a house and inheriting the previous owners negligently created problems.. A little at a time and hopefully before they burn the place down like this one would certainly have done.

I just got around to cleaning the chimney on the wood stove. It's been installed for years in place of a fireplace incorrectly. The flue pipe was at least 1/2 blocked by ashes and creosote, the lower part of the chimney liner was collapsed in on itself blocking 90% of the flow. They hacked a hole in the stock fireplace damper and just let it dump into the chimney. The lower area was also full of sticks and leaves because they never installed a chimney cap. I do have pictures but my computer isn't cooperating with my SD card at the moment, they are entertaining though..

So needless to say it is now time to fix this mess the right way with a new 6" flexible insulated liner and all the other fun stuff that goes along with it..

I am considering DIY, many kits are available and a wealth on knowledge online but I would like an estimate or two from some local companies. If the price is right I would happily pay to avoid work.

Can anybody recommend a reliable sweep in the Rochester/Webster area who isn't a ripoff artist?

Old 12-05-2010, 07:50 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
I've decided to go to a pellet stove. I was planning on a possible change over for next winter but the time is now.
It makes no sense to do a 6" chimney liner only to have to change over to a 3" later for the pellet stove.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:53 PM  
Supporting Member

Rochester, NY
Not sure if you found someone but I've used Big Ash in Holley. http://www.bigashstoves.com/

Not exactly in your neck of the woods though.

Heard good stuff about these guys too - they've been around forever.
Williamson NY Rochester NY Ace Hardware Store - Stove Shoppe, Country Attic, Country Cellar
Old 12-06-2010, 09:00 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Thank you Sir, I do appreciate the info..
I'll be checking out Williamson for sure, looks like a cool place..

Just found out a fellow F.D member does installs on the side, not that this is going to be very complex but it's cold and windy as hell.. so he gets the nod..

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Rochester
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads