Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Rochester
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2010, 04:49 AM  

Rochester, New York
There are a bunch of ranges locally. Four Point Rod and Gun club is great if you're into trap and skeet. They're building a 200yd rifle range as I type.

The Genesee Conservation League has great facilities for rifle/shotgun, handgun and archery. They have an indoor range (25 yards) and a 200yd rifle range and a couple handgun ranges. They're a little pricey, but very good.

I tend to shoot on private land owned by a friend, too.

Buying long guns in Monroe County is no big deal. Just walk in, fill out a 4473, and you're good to go. If you want a handgun, you'll have to apply for a permit. It can take up to a year to get approved, which stinks, and it's not cheap. You can get more info on the Monroe County Clerk's website. There are two types of handgun permits: ownership and concealed carry. There is no open carry. If you want to carry, you should list "personal defense" on your application as a reason for applying.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:54 AM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
If you want to carry, you should list "personal defense" on your application as a reason for applying.
Interesting, my father tried that up in Plattsburgh, they crossed it out on his app and sent my stepmothers back for correction.. I haven't looked into it all that much because I have to put in my 6 months of NY citizenship before I begin to get pissed off about it all..

My father has a cabin in Keene, NY that I visit often and shoot there. My mother lives in VT on a small farm in the middle of nowhere, pest elimination is always welcome..

Old 09-10-2010, 10:07 AM  

Rochester, New York
Different counties have different policies. As I understand it, if you want to carry and you're applying in Monroe County, you probably want that on your app.

Anyway, good luck when/if you do apply!
Old 09-10-2010, 03:11 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Excellent advise, I didn't realize it varied so much between counties.
I've carried most everyday of my adult life, first in AZ then Indy.. This is taking some getting use to..

Do you know how many referrals I need? Do they have to be permit holders in Monroe County?

Any local gun forums you can recommend for info besides arf.com? I hung out for a couple of years a indygunowners.com,

I really need to get out more,,

Thanks again..
Old 09-10-2010, 03:34 PM  

Rochester, New York
You will need four references who have known you a while. I'm not sure if they need to be Monroe County residents. That info should be available on the county clerk's site.

As far as local gun forums go, there's a forum on the Four Point web site (see link in my previous post). There's also NY Firearms - New York Firearms Discussion Forum :: Gun Ownership, Laws, Politics & More. My favorite site is http://www.firearmstalk.com/ but that's not local.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:04 AM  

Niagara Falls, New York
Check out Charlie's on Empire Blvd just west of Bay Rd for a Charlie burger. Be sure to order it on a hard roll (the roll is the key)and ask for hot sauce on the side.
Steve

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York > Rochester
Bookmark this Page!