Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Sacramento
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2010, 05:00 PM  

Grass Valley, Ca.
Railroad museum

A definite must for any tourists and a great place to go on a day trip if you are a local. They have a lot of "hands on" and "climb in" stuff. If you can catch a tour there is a great film at the beginning that gives you a good history. My father in law used to work in the railroad industry and they have an engine there he worked on.

California State Railroad Museum

Old 12-09-2010, 11:53 AM  

Modesto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphenoid View Post
A definite must for any tourists and a great place to go on a day trip if you are a local. They have a lot of "hands on" and "climb in" stuff. If you can catch a tour there is a great film at the beginning that gives you a good history. My father in law used to work in the railroad industry and they have an engine there he worked on.

California State Railroad Museum
I went there planning on a couple of hours, but no i spent about 7 hrs there and had a great time.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:46 PM  

Sacramento, California
Being right next to Old Towm makes it an ideal all day activity.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:30 PM  

Delhi, california
I want to take my boys her pretty soon do they keep different hours for the winter?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 AM  

Sacramento
The railroad museum will have free admission on 2/5... just FYI!!
Billy
Old 02-12-2011, 12:14 PM  

I;ve heard that there is another one in Dixon that is pretty good, too? Anyone know anything about it?
Old 02-12-2011, 12:35 PM  
Traveler

Proudly, I was there in May of 1980 when theyu opened that up. We watched those 2 locomotives as they inched along to join up for the grand opening of that museum. What a fantastic place. Still got some photos of that event back then!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:30 PM  

I've been there a few times and my visits always prompt me to spend more time online trying to find pictures and stories of the "Golden Age" of the railroad, when business magnates and movie moguls took their private cars across country. The museum has a couple of these private gems, beautifully restored. Sadly, most ended up on the scrap heap as airplanes took over. If anyone has information on where I could get pictures and drawings of private car interiors, I would appreciate the tip.

I also love the 3D history lessons provided at the museum regarding the west coast portion of the transcontinental railroad. Although I'm no expert, I think they do a good job of paying homage to the Chinese laborers who built the railroad through the Sierra Nevadas.

I highly resommend the museum to locals and visitors alike. It's the best railroad museum I've ever seen.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:33 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by the5150wrangler View Post
I want to take my boys her pretty soon do they keep different hours for the winter?
From California State Railroad Museum

Hours
The Museum is open daily (except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day) from 10 a.m to 5 p.m.

Admission
$9 adults; $4 youths ages 6-17; children ages 5 and under are free. Cash, personal checks, travelers' checks are accepted for payment. (Prices are subject to change without notice.)

Take your boys, and take a camera; you won't regret it.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > Sacramento
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads