Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-24-2010, 11:25 AM  

Taylorsville, Ut
Anyone know of some nice camping places near SLC?

I'm looking to take a trailer to a non-improved campground where I can get away from having people 10 feet away from me. Anyone know of a pretty spot? (for this summer most likely)

Old 12-25-2010, 11:01 AM  

Salt Lake City, UT
It depends on how "not improved" you're talking about and which day of the week.

If during the week, I would bet you could camp almost anywhere in any urban canyon without having close neighbors, or anywhere in the Uintas with ease. On a friday/saturday, all bets are off.

One out of the way place I liked, although somewhat far away is Granite Creek in the Deep Creek Range out on the NV/UT border south of Wendover. Long gravel roads are necessary to get there, and there are no facilities available all the way out there. Just some farming communities or less. There are no campgrounds really, but you'll get away from crowds for certain.

An interesting place to see if you haven't yet is City of Rocks in Idaho. It isn't far into Idaho either. It is a lot of fun and really cool to see.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:03 PM  

utah
Silver Lake up American Fork Canyon is good during the summer, but can get busy on the weekends. Other then that there are alot of places that can be busy certain weeks and not others, Bryce canyon and Moab are good places
Old 02-13-2011, 05:57 PM  

It's hard to find unimproved camping near the Salt Lake valley. A lot of places that aren't "groomed" for camping don't allow it.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:54 PM  

Longview, TX
Pony express station south of Dugway. It's a gravel road to get out there but pretty cool historical place. Take I-80 west about 40 miles to Skull Valley and then take the road going to the south. It's about another 40 miles to Dugway and then instead of turning into the Army post take the gravel road to the south. They have a camp area that is set up for trailers and tent camping, but I have never seen many people out there. There may be more on holiday weekends.

Skull Valley has some springs with some half way decent fishing. Going out to the Pony Express station you'll probably see some wild horses.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.