Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2011, 12:26 AM  

San Antonio, Texas
New Texting/Driving Laws in Texas

Just in case my fellow citizens of San Antonio aren't aware, and haven't seen the electronic billboards: It is now officially illegal in many Tx cities to text/email/browse your cell phone while driving.

A good step forward in my opinion!

Ring in your opinions!

Old 01-23-2011, 08:25 AM  

San Antonio, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiKing View Post
Just in case my fellow citizens of San Antonio aren't aware, and haven't seen the electronic billboards: It is now officially illegal in many Tx cities to text/email/browse your cell phone while driving.

A good step forward in my opinion!

Ring in your opinions!
As the SAPD say -

It's unenforceable. It doesn't prohibit calling, dialing, etc. If you get pulled over, all you have to do is claim you were making a call. The SAPD flat out said the way the bill is written, they can't reasonably enforce it

Look, just make using a cell phone without bluetooth hands free illegal, and be done with it.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:47 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
They made it illegal here in San Marcos in school zones.

Kind of indifferent, reckless driving is reckless driving, why add more layers of the same thing.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:10 AM  

San Antonio, Texas
The problem with the law is that Texting is really hard to differentiate from any other activity on the cellphone, as Verio pointed out. I can just say I picked up the cellphone to glance at the clock or make a call. It's a pointless law.

If they want people to stop texting and driving, they need to include a google voice solution in all new vehicles with a bluetooth unit stock. My android phone does speech to text in the texting app and it works beautifully. Steering wheel controls would allow you to text and call without ever removing your hands from the wheel or eyes from the road. People aren't going to stop doing it...so make it safer while they do.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads