Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2011, 10:00 AM  

San Antonio, TX
In the state of Texas it is illegal to consume alcohol in public. Walking down the street, sitting in front of your house, at the lake/river, technically it's illegal. Why do you think they give you brown paper bags with 24s? The general rule of thumb is, don't be a jackwagon and they will leave you alone. I've never had a problem, unless you are at Garner State Park. They will ticket you no matter what.

You can be ticketed for having an open container in a vehicle. However, unless you are actually over the limit, you will only get a ticket and not go to jail. However, open containers are a great way for cops to interrogate everything else about you. Open container != DWI.

At one point in Texas, it was legal to drink and drive. If you were pulled over drinking, drunk or not, the officer would ask for your beer, he would put it on the roof of your car and write you a ticket for whatever you were pulled over for, he would then hand you your beer and tell you to be safe.

As for the no-refusal stuff, I heard different. I saw something over the new years about the no refusal on those digital highways signs. Didn't provide any details though. From what I understand about this new stuff is, you can still refuse a breathe and blood test. In this case, as it was before, your license will be suspended automatically for a year for refusing. The only way they can get your BAC is to draw blood WITH a warrant. For these weekends, they have had a judge on stand by dedicated to issue warrants to draw blood for refusals. So technically you can still refuse, but they are fast tracking the issuance of warrants to draw blood. I could be wrong, but I think that is how its playing out now.

On a side note, they are also currently working to legalize DWI checkpoints in Texas too. It is currently illegal.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:44 PM  
Living the zombie dream

San Antonio, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Hmm, I haven't seen this, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised. Better than it was in Connecticut, where we'd hit 2-3 DUI checkpoints before we got home near a holiday.

never seen the trans guide signs?

wow, well to be more precise open container is 100% legal
as long as the open container doesnt contain any type of alcoholic bevarage

so it is perfectly legal to drink tea or Gatoraid...

you can drink water too

be safe and sober

Old 01-31-2011, 02:51 PM  

i guess it might put Starbucks out of business if you coudn't drink and drive..
Old 02-01-2011, 07:07 AM  

We have the old switching the speed limit sign trick going on in the Hill Country right now.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 AM  
Living the zombie dream

San Antonio, Texas
speed trap huh... good to know, I for one never speed, but even I would get cought if they drop it below the limit to get the revenue

thanks
Old 02-01-2011, 10:23 AM  
Jeeping Austin Weird.

Buda., Texas
is there any state that has open container laws? cause im pretty sure all states had to go to 21 and up and no drinking and driving in order to get federal money to repair roads.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:54 PM  

Yet you can still get drive through daiquiris in places...
Old 02-02-2011, 03:44 PM  

San Antonio, TX
Well, technically, they have those drive through beer stores, too. Like the Alamo Beverage Barn where you buy beer without getting out of your car.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:50 PM  

Corpus Christi, Texas
No tolerance, just as much as underage drinking.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:19 PM  

Bexar County has a "No Refusal" Policy in effect every weekend for the remainder of the year.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Bookmark this Page!