Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2010, 06:27 PM  

San Antonio, Texas
For those who have never visited....

San Antonio is a fantastic place. Especially if you like to EAT. Man! I've gained so much weight since moving here two years ago!

Living in VA, we liked to eat at places we considered "Mexican Restaurants". Ha! Man, what a wake up call when we moved here! Our favorite places are usually little hole-in-the-wall places. They always seem to have the best specialty dishes, and the "heat" is exactly to my liking.

There is a lot to do here too! I live very close to Sea World. We have Riverwalk and many other shopping malls. Tubing on a few local rivers is a short drive, as well as Schitterbahn Water Park.

Headed up towards Austin, we also have Natural Bridge Caverns and a drive through Zoo.

Plenty of other stuff to talk about in San Antonio and the surrounding area... but my wife just shouted that supper was ready, so I'll continue this later.

All the best,
Glenn

Old 10-14-2010, 06:46 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
You live out 1604?

Traffic isn't inferiority you yet?

Old 10-15-2010, 05:19 AM  

San Antonio, Texas
I live just outside of 1604 where it meets 151. Although I get frustrated with drivers who ride in one lane just to get ahead of three extra cars before they decide to change lanes at the last minute and block all traffic in both lanes to do it....

...it's still a million times better than driving in the Tidewater VA area where some genius designed 4 to 6 lanes of traffic to suddenly bottleneck into two lanes just before a bridge or tunnel.

I also get frustrated with everyone that rolls through stop signs, but that seems to be 90%+ of the population here. I've even seen a few cops do it. I still stop completely, but it helps to realize that everyone treats stopsigns like they were actually yield signs.

All the best,
Glenn
Old 10-15-2010, 07:52 AM  

San Antonio, TX
You would think the 6-7th largest city in the United States would have more than a 2 lane traffic light system on one of it's main Northern Arteries (281 North). And the new "Superstreet" only adds more lights. Damn frustrating when they tell you 'they can't build a freeway due to environmental issues' but that they can build a new 'superstreet' in the same place. Huh? Use the gasoline tax to build a doggone freeway, which was where the tax dollars were supposed to go in the first place and quit making excuses. (!!!)
Old 10-15-2010, 05:03 PM  

San Antonio, Texas
That's why I stay away from 281! I've been up that way less than a handful of times since I moved here. However... Even that traffic is VERY tame compared to what I use to drive in. I lived 12 miles from the base. Morning commute? 45 minutes to an hour depending on what time I left. Trip home in the afternoon? At least an hour and 15 minutes in stop and go traffic. Once I got past the bottleneck and tunnel, I could do the speed limit. Prior to that point, I could walk faster than I was driving most of the time.

All the best,
Glenn
Old 10-18-2010, 10:08 AM  

San Antonio, Texas
traffic can certainly be frustrating in some areas, but it is NOTHING compared to other places i've lived. san antonio at least finishes construction projects it starts. san antonio is just growing too fast and the infrastructure can't keep up. rush hour isn't nearly as bad or as long as most other major cities. you want traffic? move to austin or houston. have fun with that.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:24 PM  

san marcos, texas
I grew up in San Antonio and even though the traffic can get bad, you can still get around town pretty fast between all the hwys and loops.

Austin traffic is terrible. I-35 is always backed up because there is no alternative.

I live in San Marcos now and I rarely deal with traffic, you can drive anywhere in San Marcos in about 15-20 minutes.

When I think about how much time I spent of my life waiting in traffic in San Antonio and Austin, I'm glad to live in a smaller town.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:19 AM  
Great Dane Loving Jeeper

San Antonio, TX
Traffic is bad but not on the level of NYC when I lived there. Yes the Super Street adds more lights but cycle time for the lights is faster resulting in faster traffic flow. Counterintuitive but it works.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:32 PM  

San Antonio, Texas
almost everyone i know who complains about the traffic doesn't have a good basis for comparison. san antonio is a big city and you have to compare it to other big cities. comparing it to itself 20 years ago when it was hardly a blip on the map doesn't make any sense.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:46 AM  

Bryan, TX
My parents live up just north of 1604 and 281 and traffic there is horrible. We make it a point to take Redland down to 1604 so that we can miss all that mess.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Bookmark this Page!