Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2010, 05:14 PM  

What would people like to see in a Brewpub in San Antonio

Okay, so I'm a homebrewer and I've decided to open a Brewpub in San Antonio. I'd like to make it family friendly, as I have a family. What would people want in a Restaurant that makes it's own beer?

Thanks

Old 12-24-2010, 07:45 PM  

San Antonio, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nith View Post
Okay, so I'm a homebrewer and I've decided to open a Brewpub in San Antonio. I'd like to make it family friendly, as I have a family. What would people want in a Restaurant that makes it's own beer?

Thanks
Well, I'm sure you've probably frequented Freetail's. While I love the establishment, they aren't really a food joint. Thankfully the food that they do have, is quite decent, or they would have done terribly.

It doesn't matter how great your beer is, if your food can't cut muster, your business wont make it. Hire someone with an innovative menu and the skills to make it on a routine basis. Find yourself a niche and stick with it. And for pete's sake, please make it on the East side somewhere, haha! We have nothing over here!!

I wish there was a place that served excellent beer, and had a Gastropub feel. Flying Saucer does a great job of this, but unfortunately, doesn't make their own beer.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:00 AM  

I guess what I'm looking for are ideas for the Menu, styles of beer, beer and wine or full bar, etc...

Menu: What are your favorite dishes to get out?

Beer: What sort of beer do you like to drink? (lagers, ipa, wheet, amber, stout...)

Full Bar or just beer and wine?

I already plan to have a play area for families with kids, but what other things would attract people with families?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Well, I'm sure you've probably frequented Freetail's. While I love the establishment, they aren't really a food joint. Thankfully the food that they do have, is quite decent, or they would have done terribly.

It doesn't matter how great your beer is, if your food can't cut muster, your business wont make it. Hire someone with an innovative menu and the skills to make it on a routine basis. Find yourself a niche and stick with it. And for pete's sake, please make it on the East side somewhere, haha! We have nothing over here!!

I wish there was a place that served excellent beer, and had a Gastropub feel. Flying Saucer does a great job of this, but unfortunately, doesn't make their own beer.
Lots of good in this post. Food is key. People always want a good place to go out and eat beer or not.

I would give you my likes and dislikes, but I don't live down there. Just visit from time to time. My suggestions are keep a seasonal, your best IPA, amber and stout.

Do gourmet burgers for sure. Come up with a couple innovative snack trays...

Look at Urban Spoon brewpub reviews and take the best marks from each - make them your own with a twist or two.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:06 PM  

longview, texas
Great munchies is key for me. Love microbrews, but lousy food destroys a good beer.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:17 AM  

San Antonio, Texas
As others have said, FOOD FOOD FOOD! It has to be good food. If you really want to do well, I would suggest bringing on an actual chef if you can, or at the very least to design your menu and train the kitchen staff. I also would suggest jumping on the local/slow food movement. I moved to San Antonio from Austin and I was surprised at how little establishments serve anything local.

With that said, the beer can't suck. If you want my business, brew an IPA that rocks.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:04 PM  

San Antonio, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by defenderTX View Post
As others have said, FOOD FOOD FOOD! It has to be good food. If you really want to do well, I would suggest bringing on an actual chef if you can, or at the very least to design your menu and train the kitchen staff. I also would suggest jumping on the local/slow food movement. I moved to San Antonio from Austin and I was surprised at how little establishments serve anything local.

With that said, the beer can't suck. If you want my business, brew an IPA that rocks.
How long have you been in SA? We moved here in April of last year, and we've been slowly finding a lot of local establishments. You have to look hard and under a few rocks to find them, but you definitely can!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:34 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nith View Post

Thanks
Year round pumpkin beer! Seriously, someone should win the Noble Peace prize if they can figure that one out...if it's a good one (there are a few bad ones).

Honestly, if you've got good beer, good food, good service, good atmosphere, and reasonable prices; I'll be there...a lot.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:37 PM  
Jeeping Austin Weird.

Buda., Texas
make some badass hamburgers, Im talkin cheese and bacon stuffed patties.

what kinda of beers are you going to brew?

also European beers are pretty unique. Feldschlosschen, Canada, and Hoegaarden are some of my favorites. Shiner too.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:11 PM  
Brew, Drink, Repeat

Brew Pub in S.A.

Excited to hear the possibility of opening a brew pub in S.A. I believe that a small menu of different burger selections such as beef, bison, turkey, and lamb with different buns, preparations, and flavor profiles. A choice of Russet or sweet potato fries, a sausage plate selection with 3-5 different choices. A cheese and nut plate perhaps and a great miniature pork taco. Family friendly sounds good, just like the European brew pubs, brilliant. As for beers; I believe that IPAs seem to be the popular ones right now. Having a couple of different ones like a bitter and an aromatic. A good APA, Belgian style, local honey Hefe, a Helles, a Czech style Pils, and either a dark wheat or a stout. Good food, service, and consistently good beer are a given. Good luck and Cheers

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Bookmark this Page!