Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2010, 09:55 PM  

Beaumont, Texas
Why no San Antonio NFL Team?

Houston, check
Dallas, check

San Antonio, nope, despite the devout Spurs following and Cowboy support throughout the City.

Why no San Antonio NFL team?

Old 09-15-2010, 05:48 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Good question. Do you have minor league football?

Old 09-24-2010, 08:41 AM  

San Antonio, TX
No dinero...

This one's easy - no money. In spite of being the 6th largest city in the US, San Antonio is one of the least affluent. We have a very large population of brothers and sisters from our southern neighbor, many of whom have menial jobs. Most don't pay taxes, but we still have to provide medical, police, fire, and social services.
We have a great NBA team, but that's about all we can afford.
We have tried both AFL and MLS, but both failed here.
To get an NFL team we would have to build a stadium, and it would be expensive, because it would have to be large and need a roof for A/C - we don't get cold weather here (snowed in 1985). All of the new stadiums seat about 100,000 people and most of our population cannot afford season tickets.
I moved here from KC where we had the Chiefs. They were also marginal, in terms of business, but were able to pull in support from Omaha, Des Moines, Wichita, Topeka, Columbia, et cetera. We already have NFL teams in Dallas and Houston, so that's out.
We do have a minor league baseball team, but even those games are sporatically attended.
I'm afraid an NFL team would go broke or move quickly if located in SA.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:55 PM  
Great Dane Loving Jeeper

San Antonio, TX
Too much Cowboys hype in TX and with Dallas and Houston with teams not enough fans to go around.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:26 PM  

San Antonio, TX
Dont forget about our AHL team, the Rampage. As others have said its all about the money, and it aint in this city
Old 10-05-2010, 04:32 PM  
annoyingly true

corpus christi, texas
that and have you seen how those guys act when the spurs win or lose. act like fools. i lived up there for a while and some of the stuff that happens is just plain dumb.

and then, a buddy and i flew out and watched game one against the suns, not one damn spurs person opened there mouth. i felt sorry for that team so i rooted for them, and i am a lakers fan.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:34 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
New York has enough teams, you guys should take the Bills.. Won't take much money, as bad as they are they can't have much of a payroll.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:37 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
I would be curious to see financial comparisons of major Cities. While SA has it's poor sections there is a lot of growth and money on the North side.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:29 PM  

Abilene, Texas
its more about the City councel than it is money, they want a stateum downdown and the better place is north east, they allmost lost the Spurs because of this reason also
Old 10-06-2010, 03:22 PM  

San Antonio, Texas
There isn't enough fan base in SATX to support an NFL team. Mostly Cowboy fans down here. Plus, the new team would want a new area, the Alamodome wouldn't cut it. That's another topic all together. Good thing the city wasted our tax dollars on that well thought out plan.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.