Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Diego
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2010, 08:20 PM  

Groton, Connecticut
How can you rate safe or unsafe areas in San Diego?

Hello,
Gonna be moving to San Diego very soon and I'm in the process of looking for houses to rent, but i have never been there and was wondering if there is a site or rating scale that will describe the crime rate in certain areas or zip codes?
I wouldn't want to end up in a "bad" neighberhood without even knowing bout it.
Thanks

Old 09-23-2010, 09:10 AM  

San Diego, CA
Best way to judge this is google street view the areas you're looking at. If it looks run down, probably not such a good neighborhood. Where will you be working? That will have a lot to do with it unless you want a really junkie commute.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:27 AM  

San Diego, CA
It also depends on whether you'll be bringing a family or starting a family down herr, there are definitely more family/community neighborhoods. It completely depends on what you're looking for in a neighborhood
Old 09-26-2010, 12:22 PM  

Hewitt, Tx
man ur lucky! i would love to live in san deigo. I went there for my honeymoon last yr and it was great! i wish i could live there.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:04 AM  

La Mesa, California
Areas near the Naval station are usually not the best choice for quality or safety. I would Look for areas inland, just be prepared to deal with some hot summers :P It also depends on how much you are willing to pay for rent. San Diego in general is about $1200 per month for a small space and over $2200 for a family home. That's not including the utilities.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:21 PM  

san diego, california
I don't know of any website for that. I can tell you this much:
In east county, El Cajon has the highest crime/danger risk. Santee and Lakeside are good
As a general rule of thumb, as you go south of the 8 freeway, your risk increases. So although Bankers Hill and Kensington and North Park are nice, the surrounding area are seedy and worse; Lemon Grove, South Park, Downtown, Barrio Logan, National City, Chula Vista, etc etc........
If you get as far south as Eastlake, though, you've reached a pretty good neighborhood.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:46 PM  

When you drive south and see the STOP signs change to ALTO, you have gone too far. Turn around quickly, it's unsafe!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:48 PM  

Miami, FL
I would also like to know where are the areas that a traveller with an expedition car should avoid to drive.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:38 PM  

La Mesa, California
Crime is San Diego is really not all that bad unless you are getting yourself involved in illegal activities. The biggest problem we have are idiot drivers with bad suicidal driving habits. The worst is when we get a less then an inch of rain; people just go nuts and fly off roads and bridges .. it's almost clockwork around here. I think it was about five months ago I saw some guy drive off a bridge and land five cars in front of me on I8. His car was FULL of junk (probably a hoarder), some of his crap most likely fell on him while he was driving. Luckily I own a Jeep that does not go faster then the speed limit lol, so I dodged another one :P
Old 10-04-2010, 11:40 AM  
Another Member

Santee, CA
Looks like the best place to find info on an area is this site. If you see something you like, ask. I am pretty sure someone is willing to tell you more about the area.
I just recently moved here, and we ended up choosing Santee.
I did live here a few years ago, and knew the area. So, the biggest reason for Santee was the high school.
If you are moving here with kids, that would be the first thing to look into. better areas tend to have better schools.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Diego
Bookmark this Page!