Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Diego
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2010, 11:59 AM  

valley center, california
seal infestation in local waters

i don't know if anyone else has noticed this issue but i am an avid angler and diver so I'm around the ocean alot. ive just noticed the enormous seal population and how it affects our local fishing and beaches. i think it would be a good thing to open a hunting season or something of that nature to control the population. any thoughts?

Old 11-29-2010, 06:31 AM  

Castalian Springs, Tennessee
I can't believe you posted this. I don't disagree, though. Might even consider going back if they did open a season on them. I grew up in Santee and spent a fair amount of time at the beaches. I moved to TN 16 years ago. I was in San Diego in June and saw more seals while there than I saw in 23 years living there.

I just hope some weirdo that has more regard for animals that they do humans doesn't see this and get offended.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:32 PM  

Hunting of the seals... Great idea. Though I can definately see some problems arrising from people getting creative with their hunting methods if it wasn't properly regulated.
As for the last bit of mike n tn's post, those guys will always show up and cause drama. They don't always stop and think how the hamburger got on their plates, or that humans have been hunting for quite a while.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:56 PM  

edmonton, alberta
I live in Canada, where though I have not participated in one but seal hunts are a way of life for people of the north (much farther north then I live). I do hunt big game mind you where we have a strictly regulated hunting system (I'm guessing very similar to your guys wildlife system), in times where certain species get over populated for what ever reason our wildlife agency (alberta fish and wildlife) organises a cull. Where a species numbers are systematically brought down to a level the environment can support. I would contact your local wildlife agency so see what can be done.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:35 PM  

Seals are a protected species under federal law.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:46 PM  

Unfortunately the feds have their hands in way too much. Looks like it would take a lot of cash in the right pockets to get anything done then.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:13 AM  

You are correct. There are certain Alaskan "Tribes" which have the ability to hunt seals, but for different reasons.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:56 AM  

San Diego, California
The seals will attract sharks and eventually the sharks will try a human. There is an outside chance that someone at the federal level will make the connection between too many seals and the presence of sharks. Then they may implement some population control. But until then, get used to them.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:37 AM  

San Diego, California
I have been a beach lifeguard for ten years and am a diver, spear fisherman, surfer etc. I love the ocean and this idea is ludicrous. We are already destroying our ocean at an irreversible pace. We are the problem. Stop consuming so much and contributing so little.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:49 PM  

San Diego, California
This thread makes me think about the "childrens pool" in Lajolla.

I feel that the city should be required to make that area back the way it was naturally because the pool (park) was built from a private party and given to the city (for free) as a Children's Pool. Now the city and the court say to let it be for the seals. If that is the ruling then return it back it's original state and remove the sea wall.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Diego
Bookmark this Page!