Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Francisco
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2010, 01:02 PM  

Alameda, CA
Abalone?

We live in one of the most exclusive areas of the world, a micro-climate that supports the Red Abalone. Besides Duarte's Tavern, Does anyone have a good place to get me some? I understand the restrictions and all, but someone must do it up right.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:41 AM  

Discovery Bay, Ca
Free dive off the coast is the best. But honestly i dont know of any restaurants up here...but down in Monterey..there are some real good places.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:23 PM  

you will always overspend for abalone at a restaurant. make a friend who does it or learn to do it yourself
Old 11-23-2010, 05:41 PM  

Oakland, CA
I've gone a couple of times and have all of the gear but I don't have anyone to go with and its a lot of work.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 PM  

Santa Rosa, CA
Work versus cash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarb View Post
I've gone a couple of times and have all of the gear but I don't have anyone to go with and its a lot of work.
While it may be a bit of work, nothing beats fresh abalone cooked at a campsite within an hour of pulling it! If you're not using your diving gear you can get cash for it on Craigslist and pay for a dinner in Monterey but, really, why have it if not to use it? Get out there!

Mendocino County has the best ab-ing around here, especially around Little River and Russian Gulch. A friend of mine got the world's record ab a decade or more ago just north of Fort Bragg. The photo shows me holding it next to my head (Check pics on the web, you'll recognize the ab if you find a good enough photo). I should have put it in front of my head because it would have obscured it entirely. These big abs are around the north coast. Anyone paying for abalone dinner when they can just go grab some is missing a great adventure.

BTW-The little girl with me is my niece... now in college.
Abalone?-record-ab.jpg 

Old 12-08-2010, 08:12 AM  

Oakland, CA
Well let's go then (next season). My problem is that I really don't know anyone else that does it and I don't really like diving alone.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:57 PM  

Pittsburg, ca
I have a co-worker who dives up near Fort Bragg all the time. He say's its fun and easy but can be very dangerous climbing down to dive spots. He has measurement tool that is also used for cracking them off the rocks.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:59 PM  

Cobb, CA
Ummm Now I am hungry, only had it once several years ago at some friends house. Arrrived early for a party and to deep fry a turkey for thanksgiving and they were hurring up eating it before the other guests arived, lucky me.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:33 PM  

San Francisco, California
I have been eating Abalone for all my life, and can honestly say that I've never seen it in a restaurant. My biggest recommendation is finding a buddy that dives..... I have been diving in Medocino County for about 12 years now, and I have my "ab friends" that I gift abs to and do a cookout a couple times a year. As for other aspiring divers.... rope a friend into it. I don't think that I'd ever go diving alone. I have been surfing for 22 years, I was a beach lifeguard for 11, and was a rescue swimmer for a fire department for 2.... I would not feel comfortable diving alone ever.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:59 PM  

Napa, CA
Morimoto in Napa has abalone. Also, down in Monterey -- The Fish Hopper was the last place I had it down there.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Francisco
Bookmark this Page!