Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Francisco
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2010, 09:41 PM  

Colorado springs, Co
Best Small Wineries

Looking for advice on small wineries to visit when we'll be in San Fran/Yosemite/Napa-Sonoma in the Spring.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:14 PM  

Napa, CA
I live and work in Napa, and I may be biased based on working in the wine industry. But here are my reccomendations and the wines I like in the area that match the small factor:
Napa Valley
Outpost: Grenache and Zinfandel
Ladera: Cabernet sauvignon, Syrah, Sauvignon blanc, Malbec
Failia: Pinor Noir
Titus: Cabernet Franc, Zinfandel
Pina: Cabernet sauvignon (Buckeye Vineyard)
Von Strausser: Gruner vetliner
Trahan/Olibisi: Syrah, Petit Sirah, Chardonnay
Honig: Late Harvest Sauvignon blanc, Campbell Vineyard Cabernet sauvignon
Pride: VS Merlot, Viognier
Barnett: Merlot
Elizabeth Spencer: Chenin blanc
Chapellet: Chenin blanc
Robert Biale: Petit sirah/Syrah blend, Zinfandel
Lava Vine: Late Harvest Semillon
Girard: Mt. Veeder Cabernet sauvignon, Pritchard Hill Caberent sauvignon, Sauvignon blanc
Rudd: Crossroads Sauvignon blanc
Arkenstone: Graves style Sauvignon blanc
Paul Hobbes: Ulysses Valdez Pinot noir

Dry Creek:
Unti: Montepulciano

Sonoma:
Charles Creek: Muscat canelli, old vine Chardonnay
Deerfield Ranch: Super T-Rex, Jemrose Vineyard Pinot noir
Sonoma Coast Vintners: Sauvignon blanc from Laguna Vista Vineyards

Geyserville:
Mercury Wine: "The Father"

Healdsburg:
Hawley: Merlot

Hope that gives you some starting ground: If you have more questions let me know.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:34 AM  

Colorado springs, Co
Thanks so much! I can't wait to check some of these out. The multitude of options is so overwhelming. I love malbecs so I am pleased to see one of those on your list. Are there any other features that set some of these wineries apart from the others (scenery, staff, grounds, etc.?)
Old 12-23-2010, 04:27 PM  

San Francisco, CA
In another thread someone just reminded me about Anderson Valley. Worth the trip to go a little further north. Toulouse is my sister's favorite. We had a particularly good tasting at Esterlina, but part of that might have been our timing and group size(normal tasting room wasn't open at the time so we got their dinning room table!)
Old 12-24-2010, 07:40 PM  

Cobb, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Als9zx View Post
Looking for advice on small wineries to visit when we'll be in San Fran/Yosemite/Napa-Sonoma in the Spring.
Lake county also has a bunch of tasting rooms, highway 29 north of Middletown has about 3, a few more on 29 heading to Lakeport and a few on highway 20 ( highway 53 from Lower Lake to Clearlake Oaks then North) in the Oaks, Lucern and Nice I think. There are even signs all over showing direction and miles about a mile south of lower lake/highway 53/29 junction.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:44 PM  

San Francisco, CA
Have you been to Graeser in Calistoga? This was by far the best winery we visited in Napa Valley! Definitely hidden away and right up my alley.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:17 PM  

Vezer Family Winery is really good - amazing wine. It's located on suisun valley road in mankas corner, outside fairfield. They have 2 tasting rooms. The last time I went there they let us taste 8 different wines, and gave us cheese/crackers and olives for free! Awesome people! Joe is great!
Old 02-12-2011, 12:18 PM  

oh - Del Dotto is REALLY good. Look it up! Tasting is $40 a person, but they only make 1 BARRELL of each type a year, and tasking includes 8 different wines, then cheese/meat/crackers and chocolates and takes over an hour in their caves. amazing!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:34 AM  

Napa, CA
Quote:
I've posted a list of some amazing places. What are you looking for other than "small"? How long are you looking to spend in each place? Do you have a driver or are you driving yourself?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:28 PM  

Livermore, CA
Livermore Wineries

Quote:
If you are travelling from Yosemite to San Fran, you will likely go right through Livermore. It's on Hwy 580 about 40 miles east of San Fran. Check out Wineries, Wine Tasting, Dining, Tours, Weddings & More! | Livermore Valley Winegrowers Association to get info on over 40 wineries in the area. From the freeway you don't see the hundreds of acres of vineyards on the south side of Livermore. But take a short detour through town about 3 miles and you will be pleasantly surprised with many great wineries.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Francisco
Bookmark this Page!