Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Francisco
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2011, 06:09 PM  

San Francisco, CA
FINALLY felt my first earthquake

Ever since I moved here I seem to be out of town or asleep when they happen. Finally felt a little rumble this afternoon and the dog started acting funny. Dunno why I'm so amused by it, haha.

Anyway, got me thinking what else I should have tucked away in the back of a closet "in case of apocalypse." I just have a case of water, some canned food, and a few camping things. Anything specific I should think about picking up for a disaster preparedness kit?

Old 01-07-2011, 07:23 PM  

Up there, a fire extinguisher for sure, a large waterproof tarp with rope, and if you have more than one story, an emergency ladder would be great to get out fast.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:00 PM  

A c-wrench. And the knowledge of how to turn off your gas supply and water supply in case one is leaking. As well as a supply of an vital medications you may need. A good flashlight or camping lantern is also nice to have around the house.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:35 PM  

San Francisco, CA
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I was thinking about the gas shut off. This is a college roommate house and I think I'm the only one who is aware of any of that stuff... I should go over it all with my other roommates so they know too.

I do have a fire extinguisher on my welding cart. Should get a large one for the house though. The kitchen I suppose is the best place for a house extinguisher. The other appliance fire risk(drier and furnace) is in the garage where there is already the extinguisher available on the welding cart.

Got the flashlight and candles thing covered now... after the last power outage. Had to use the light from my phone to find a nearly dead flashlight. Used that to get the good flash light, and used that to find where my headlamp was so I could offer the good flashlight to a roommate, haha.

As for the vital meds, beer might get skunked by the time we actually need emergency supplies, so I'll throw some bourbon in there instead
Old 01-12-2011, 08:50 PM  

Yes, gas and water shutoffs are important. I have herd of houses flooding because a water pipe broke and nobody knew how to turn the water off, and it ran for a few hours. And yes you can never have too many flashlights. You can pick up a few mini LED ones on the cheap during good sales.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:20 PM  

Spare rubber soled shoes and a set of heavy duty gloves is also a good to have close to you in a disaster.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:20 PM  

I have felt several times since I move to this area.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:56 PM  

San Francisco, CA
two words. Toilet Paper. and maybe a shovel. If the sewers and water are gone, you're gonna want a shovel.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:02 PM  

A 5 gallon paint bucket, a roll of toilet paper and a box of trash bags should be in everyone's emergency kit.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:38 PM  

San Francisco, CA
I've lived in California my whole life and just by chance have never felt an earthquake. Loma Prieda, Northridge... none of 'em. I always seem to be on the other side of the state when it happens. Someday...

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Francisco
Bookmark this Page!