Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Francisco
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2010, 05:04 PM  

Your favorite movie theater in the East Bay?

Looking for any and all answers and why you like this theater.

Cheers, Maya

Old 11-24-2010, 12:43 AM  

oakland, ca
The Parkway even though it is currently closed down. I heard a rumor today that a group of investors has finally reached an agreement with the landlord to reopen it.

Have pizza and beer, sitting on a sofa while watching movies!

Old 11-29-2010, 07:55 PM  

Sammamish, WA
As a kid growing up in Lafayette, I loved the old Park theater, and went back often as an adult. Apparently they have had hard times lately and just shut down after a 69 year run, probably to become condos. The Grand Lake in Oakland is cool too, I just can't get into these big new multi-screen places with
no architectural style.

LAFAYETTE / Park Theater: 1941-2005 / Loyal fans turn out for single-screen cinema's last hurrah - SFGate
Old 11-30-2010, 07:50 PM  

Vallejo, CA
I like the Shattuck Theater in Berkeley. Of course it doesn't hurt that a dear friend of mine is the manager.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:53 AM  

Ok, I'll have to check the Shattuck theater out...the parking is kind of tough around there that is what has stopped me from going. Haven't been there in a long time.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:41 PM  

San Francisco, CA
Alameda Theatre

Great Art-Deco design.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:08 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBoss View Post
Great Art-Deco design.
Ooooh...I'll have to check that one out!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:41 PM  

Alameda, CA
the Alameda theater (in Alameda of course) is also a great theater in the east bay. It was recently restored and has a beautiful art deco theater along with many smaller new style theaters.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:12 AM  

Oakland, CA
I loved the Parkway. It would be great to see it reopen.
The Alameda is very nice. I haven't been in a while since they were picketed by the projectionists union. Does anybody know if that got resolved?
I've got to say, I like the Emery Bay theater. It has easy parking and comfy seats.
I love the idea of the Grand Lake theater, but last time I went for a 2.25 hour movie and was uncomfortable for the last hour and a half. Again, it has been a while and if someone can tell me they've improved the seats, I'd be happy to go again.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:04 AM  

The Parkway is going to reopen - they are working on that right now and need donations. I'll have to check out the Alameda. Hey I pulled all the sound for the Emery Bay theaters when they were built. I am a union electrician - literally pulled ALL the sound cables for all of the theaters. Wow haven't been there in ages (Grand Lake) thanks for the heads up.

Also, MyMistake - the Paramount has classic movie nights on Fridays - check out their website Welcome to the Paramount Theatre, Oakland, California

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Francisco
Bookmark this Page!