Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Jose
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2010, 04:10 PM  
Supporting Member

San Jose, CA
San Jose Homebrewers

So that we don't completely hijack the other thread, I thought it'd be a good idea to continue the growing homebrewing discussion here. What are you brewing right now? How long have you been doing it?

I got started last January when a friend gave me his entire setup. I've brewed 8 or so batches so far and I'm addicted! Right now I have a bock lagering, a wheat IPA fermenting, and a pale ale on tap. My specialty, if you could call it that, is a robust porter. Most of my recipes are either entirely my design, or another recipe that I've altered to suit my tastes.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:19 PM  

San Jose, CA
Currently I have a honey wheat on tap, a brown ale in secondary and an oatmeal stout in secondary. My wife and I have been brewing for almost two years and lately have been brewing quite a bit, especially since our setup keeps growing.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:11 PM  

Bay Area, California
does san jose have a homebrewshop?
Old 11-29-2010, 03:23 PM  
Supporting Member

San Jose, CA
I've used Fermentation Solutions in the past. It's not the friendliest outfit and their prices are high, but they're close.

I usually go out of my way to go to MoreBeer in Los Altos. Waaay better prices and service.

Edit: you can't tell, but I've inserted hyperlinks.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:16 PM  

San Jose, Ca
I just head up to MoreBeer in Los Altos, or occasionally over to Beer & Wine Makers in San Jose on Brokaw. I like MoreBeer better because of their forum and ning sites.

BTW there is an excellent brew club that is based out of the MoreBeer shop, called Worts of Wisdom. They're a great bunch, and and have been really great, even with people like me who rarely show up due to kid and other activities...
Old 11-30-2010, 12:17 AM  

Bay Area, California
ah yes fermentation solutions defiantly remember hearing about them. and i totally did not know that morebeer was located in Los Altos, let alone california. i have been on there site a few times now. so i guess its time to make a stop to them. that is really splendid!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:56 AM  
Supporting Member

San Jose, CA
Another great thing about MoreBeer is that you can buy whole grain and grind it there. It saves a lot of money to grind it yourself, and you can buy just what you need of the specialty malts. They have a huge mill that will grind 20# in a couple of minutes, and they let you grind your grains whenever you want, as long as you bought them there. I usually buy a 55# bag of pale 2-row, and come in before I brew and just grind what I need for the next day.

Fermentation Solutions pre-grinds all of their grains so they're way more expensive.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:47 PM  

San Jose, CA
Have to disagree about the service at Fermentation solutions - they've been super friendly and given loads of really good advice to me. I've been in there asking questions and talking through details for hours and they always have been helpful.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:46 PM  

San Jose, CA
I agree with Buttery. Fermentation Solutions service has always been good. I will agree that they aren't the most friendly people but they are always nice and more than willing to discuss brewing and answer questions.

I think I'll give the place in Los Altos a look though.

Btw, I have a dry-hopped IPA and a porter in the bottle right now. I've been doing this for about 2 years and am still working to get the hang of it but I love it.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:48 AM  

Bay Area, California
well things are looking good when i return to california. i have been looking into starting homebrewing upon thy return...acutally as i finish up my last semester then i will start

but good to know that there are some places to go in an talk to.

for a starter i have been doing my reading and have been wondering. what would you recommend me starting with? buying a HB kit or buying the pieces seperately?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California > San Jose
Bookmark this Page!