Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2008, 06:40 PM  

The New Rivendell

Yes Rivendell was great. Sadly it's gone and not likely to return. However, Blue Goat Gourmet is very similar food wise, if not better, and has a laid back atmosphere. Nowhere can be as laid back as Rivendell but we're lucky to have a place like Blue Goat.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:18 AM  

Blue Goat / Rivendell

I agree that Blue Goat Gourmet is the next best (or maybe better) thing to Rivendell. Blue Goat looks more formal but has a very mellow atmosphere and a more extensive menu. The owner/operators are very cool.
They should get a real website going. Spiritisup.com/bluegoatsplash is nice visually but has no information. Most business owners have no idea of the traffic that can be generated off the internet.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:39 PM  

R I V E N D E L L

I was just thinking that it's been too long since I ate at Rivendell and then I catch this thread and find out the place has closed down. Dammit. Well I hope ya'll are right about Blue Goat. Tantra seems a little too pseudo intellectual (not the place/staff itself, the patrons). Cool Mint restaurant seems too prissy,formal, trendy. Maybe I could get used to it in the off hours. What I liked most about Rivendell was the unpretentious atmosphere. I would have liked the place if the food had been half as good. The only other eatery I really miss is Mosscliff, now a sorority house. There is some odd synergy in that.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:48 PM  

Rivendell Alternative

I agree that running the gauntlet at Tantra is uncomfortable. I only stop in when it's slow. Cool Mint can be too yuppified, but again is better in the off hours.
Blue Goat is the best alternative to Rivendell. It looks a lot more formal than it is and the food and service are great. After a few visits it grows on you. Try it, I guarantee you'll like it.
Too true about Mosscliff. Party on Walt, wherever you are.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:33 PM  

and more again

Isn't it amazing that rivendell has gotten 24 replies and over 1,700 views on this thread? This is not exactly the busiest forum on the net. I wonder if most of the visitors knew and missed rivendell or were just wondering what the hell everyone was talking about.
There should be a thread about mosscliff restaurant.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:56 PM  

Rivendell / Mosscliff

If that 1,700 figure is right, it is amazing.
Mosscliff (restaurant) and Rivendell were totally different and yet somehow similar in an odd way. Both were comfortable places and had great food. If you knew Walt you could hang out upstairs at Mosscliff. Or out back by the pool. Herbs were common to both places and often used quite openly. It was a shame the way developer greed and dirty politics brought it to an end.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:18 AM  

Fyi

Last I heard Walt was still in Kyle. His family has lots of land around there.
Mosscliff sure had a long procession of beautiful hippie waitresses. A lost treasure for many reasons. Does anyone remember the old fashoned soda shop over by Red's Texaco, where they served peanut butter shakes? And what happened to Gil's Broiler, old man Manske must be rolling in his grave. That place has gone to hell.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:21 PM  

goodbye rivendell

Rivendell was the kind of place ya loved but never got to as much as you'd like. Don't know why. Damn good food, people and atmosphere. Good times.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:59 PM  

Rivendell and The Blue Goat

My favorite things about Rivendell were the yummy rolls, the salads (generous portions of greens, with no iceberg lettuce in sight) and the homemade soups...I regret that I never tried that peach smoothie!! The atmosphere was laid back, too. I didn't go as often once we had kids because the wait could be too long for them...even though it was a very kid-friendly place! The Blue Goat is not as kid-friendly, but the food is fine and the service much faster. It's no substitute for Rivendell, but it's an easy choice in the midst of all the fast food and chain restaurants in town.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:40 PM  

Afternoon Peach Smoothie Delight

First time I ordered a peach smoothie at Rivendell I got to watch the lady elf make it. She brought out a bowl of peaches and hand picked each one, rejecting maybe 1/4 of them. Then she carefully and slowly peeled them. I knew this was going to be the freshest, creamiest smoothie I'd ever have. By the time it was ready I was drooling like Pavlov's dog. It wasn't my first peach smoothie, but it was the best I'd ever had. I guess I developed a peach fetish after that. If they didn't have peaches it was heart breaking, but only increased the desire for more next time. Sure I got to try other smoothies, but none compared to the peach. Rivendell may be gone, but you never forget the best you ever had.

I categorically deny the rumors about myself and a bushel of fresh young peaches. It's all lies, slander and photoshop.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.