Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2006, 03:11 PM  

Bbq

So where do you guys go for BBQ, anywhere in SM?

I've not a fan of FuShak's, they had their moments but mostly bad moments, and I just discovered where they relocated to recently (on the E access road just N of Woner World on I35).

I used to have high regards for Southwest Market, but I went there on Monday and was severely disappointed. Perhaps my memory is slipping, or perhaps it was a bad day, or perhaps they've always been mediocre, but it was not good food and it was expensive.

1/5 lb of brisket
2 ribs
beans, potato salad, slice of cheese
can of Dr P

Pretty average meal, no? When she asked me for $14, I nearly **** myself. After eating it, I'm pretty sure I won't pay $14 for that mess again.

The brisket had a decent flavor to it, but nothing you can't get out of frozen HEB brisket. The meat itself was dry and somewhat tough, and seemed like it was cut for an animal since the pieces were about 3/4" thick.

Overall, I'd give the HEB brisket a grade of B and SW Market a C. Sad.

Those are the only 2 places I know of, am I missing any?

Old 12-01-2006, 03:10 AM  

It's just good BBQ

WOW,

Can't believe anyone would not like Southwest Market. If there were 10 bbq joints in SM, it would most likely still be the best.

Lockhart is only 15 minutes away, If you want the absolute best go there, but SWMarket is a really close second.

You would think bbq is cheap but it never is. I ate there the other day and ordered:

1/2 brisket
One hot sausage link
Slab of cheese
Avacado
Pickles &
Big Red

Now that is a meal, cost me $11 something but it's Freaking good!

The trick is to take the bread they give you and make bbq tacos (one slice sandwiches) with all the above ingredients except for the Big Red. Thats a little taste of heaven right there. If you haven't ever tried it that way you need to.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:32 PM  

BBQ in San Marcos

I am a SW Market fan. But I don't get to go there as often as I like. I eat there about once a month, maybe. I took my wife and kid there last week - and when we we got the bill, I had a hard time maintaining my continence. I love the pork chops there - but ya' know... for people who should have BBQ down to a science... some days the food is just better than others. I've had my pork chops too seasoned (salty) and too dry before. I really like the chicken. I have never made it on time on Friday to get any of the prime rib, but I'm sure there is a reason they are always selling out of that before 12:30! The ribs are okay, but I prefer my ribs from the Tap Room - there is something magical about ribs there. As for the sausage at SW - I find it a tad too spicy or something. Now before you jump on that one, I am not a spice-wuss. I like salsa picante as much if not more than the next guy... but the sausage at SW burns my stomach so bad I think I could be on TV selling some stomach acid medicine or something.
I took my dad out to Salt Lick the other day (another place I always think is better than it is). He remarked that it was not as good as SW market (in terms of meat quality). And I really think he is right. Salt Lick has some great attributes, though: BYOB (the group next to us actually brought a KEG with them), good BBQ sauce (ask for the spicy sauce), family style (all you can eat), and a really interesting twist on potato salad.
I went to Fuschak's years ago and liked it, but not so much in recent years (although I can get turkey and chicken there - not at SW market).
When I was in school here, ages ago, we used to drive to Rudy's - back when it was only in Leon Springs across from the dance hall (now it seems like it is everywhere: Austin, New Braunfels, Selma...). Oh and speaking of good bar-b-que sauce!
As for the surrounding area... Lockhart has Smitty's, Kreuz's, and Black's. Luling's City Market is not to be missed. But if you really want to do it right, drive to New Braunfels to Granzin's (or up 21 to Bon Ton's) order your own meat and take it home and cook it up your way!
Old 07-17-2007, 08:02 PM  

I've had time to get over the past (plus I woke up hankerin' for some brisket), so I revisited SWM this past Sat. at 1pm. This makes 2 strikes in a row......brisket was of near-jerky proportions.......I could understand at 6 or 7pm, but 1pm, Sat???

I had to use a ****ing knife!

If I have to use a knife, its just bad brisket in my book.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:24 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
I took my dad out to Salt Lick the other day (another place I always think is better than it is). He remarked that it was not as good as SW market (in terms of meat quality). And I really think he is right. Salt Lick has some great attributes, though: BYOB (the group next to us actually brought a KEG with them), good BBQ sauce (ask for the spicy sauce), family style (all you can eat), and a really interesting twist on potato salad.
I think it was hyped too much the 1st time I ate there. The brisket was pretty damn good, but I remember thinking that it wasn't the indisputable champion. The atmosphere is second-to-none though, even if I don't care for their tater salad.

Quote:
When I was in school here, ages ago, we used to drive to Rudy's - back when it was only in Leon Springs across from the dance hall (now it seems like it is everywhere: Austin, New Braunfels, Selma...). Oh and speaking of good bar-b-que sauce!
I just recently discovered Rudy's, and even more recently started working in Austin, and I drive near 290 & 360 (short drive from the Rudy's on 360). Coincidence? They definitely have good BBQ though, and haven't disappointed me at all. I'm sure its not as good as the original Rudy's, which has me dieing to make that trek.

Quote:
As for the surrounding area... Lockhart has Smitty's, Kreuz's, and Black's. Luling's City Market is not to be missed.
Isn't Kreuz's the one that had the family squabble over the business, and they had to move the BBQ from their historic building? I can vouch for whoever that was, if its as good (or even near) as it was in the old location....damn good BBQ. I found it humorous that they didn't provide any BBQ sauce at all, you had to BYOS. They thought their meat tasted good enough by itself, lol.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:31 PM  
A2

kenman back with a vengeance....

Kreuz's is the real deal....this I agree
Old 07-18-2007, 04:47 PM  

BBQ History

Kreuz Meat Market was originally located where Smitty's is now. Rumor holds that the owners of Kreuz's and Smitty's are siblings (or in-laws, I forget). There was some family squabble and one sibling got the "name" the other got the location. Interestingly... about that time, two of the cooks from the original Kreuz's set up a shop on hunter road and called it... you guessed it, Southwest Market.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:51 PM  

Yeah it was Kreuz's that I've been to.. but I had no idea that it spawned SW Mkt.... interesting. Its not like I've sworn off the place, just kind of put off for now. I know I've had good BBQ from SWM before.. just not recently I'm afraid.

I have managed to hit Kip's up in the last week, as well as revisiting FuShacks today. Kip's wasn't that bad, better than I was expecting after walking in. The brisket was very fresh, even at 7:30 in the evening (they stay open till 9!).

And at FuShacks I got the rib plate and I swear there was a full pound (or more) of ribs so big they barely fit on the plate. They said they they didn't have beef ribs except for on Tuesday on the buffet.. what's up with that? Somehow I ended up with beef ribs and they were damn good. That was also my first trip to a BBQ joint in recent memory where I had to get a doggy bag... I could only get down 3 of the 4 ribs (about to polish the last one off now, much to the delight of my dog who'll inherit the bone). Anyways, I was pleasantly surprised by FuShacks....

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!