Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2008, 05:43 PM  

City Council - Mayor

Again, I thought we should separate the races on individual threads. And the candidates are: Susan Narvaiz, incumbant, David Newman, retired pilot and hero, and Daniel McCarthy, student. Have at it.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:52 PM  

David Newman

I don't think Susan has been that great a mayor. She didn't help the "just a dog" fiasco with her statement about people just wanting to get angry about something. The wonder world drive overpass was in the works before she came along. Being in office when something happens doesn't mean you made it happen. Roads/potholes are everyday business for every council.
Don't know anything about Daniel McCarthy except that he's a student.
That leaves David Newman, retired pilot and local hero. Pilots tend to be hero types and heroes tend to step on some toes. I'm for giving him a shot as mayor, and if he goes too far we can elect somebody else next time.
The election season has just begun so I could change my mind. I generally don't like political types and almost never after they're done.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:09 AM  

Mayor Anyone?

Well it certainly surprises me that the only contest with three candidates seems to be drawing the least interest on this forum. And for Mayor! Is it just too confusing?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:04 PM  

Right now I think everyone is commenting the personalities of the incumbents and the challengers they know personally. In the mayors race Narvaiz certainly seems to be favored, however what she says during the campaign will get much more scrutiny since she has legitimate opponents this time. I think it shows that many in SM are not happy with her. Whether they don't like her style, (controlling, micro-managing, yet effective) seems to be at least part of the decision. Newman is a fixture in SM, but what does he want to accomplish. I will be listening closely. The student candidate is in my opinion clearly not qualified to be mayor, but I respect his right to throw his hat in the ring and make his ideas known. He probably could have supported one of the other candidates and tried to implement his ideas that way. He will most likely get enough votes to force a run-off election in mid-December.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:39 PM  

Just the Facts, ma'am

Small town elections are always about personalities as well as positions. My problem is getting the facts. The Daily Record has always been shallow on politics. You know who they favor by how many photos they run. Web sites are all "hooray for me" hoopla. The incumbants appear to be for "green growth". Doing what Austin has done seems to be their blueprint.
What I would like is to get real info. Did someone start something and push it through or just jump on the bandwagon when it was inevitable. Taking credit for everything is pretty much universal for elected officials.
Lacking sufficient information I'm left to personality politics.
Gosh, he's cute, I'll vote for him.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:30 PM  

Marilee,

If you have a specific issue or position that you are curious about, why not list it here. I am sure there is someone who would have knowledge or where to get the answer about it.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:10 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilee View Post
Well it certainly surprises me that the only contest with three candidates seems to be drawing the least interest on this forum. And for Mayor! Is it just too confusing?
Since everyone just filed it's just getting started. This place should heat up again like last year.

So I guess the student candidate isn't the Mayor stooge for a change?
Old 08-31-2008, 01:42 PM  

this race is between newman and narvaiz. if everyone who hated susan voted against her it would be a landslide. but the last time hate got out the vote was against stokes and the family council years ago. newman has some strong positives on top of being a hero. but don't expect the local media to speak in anything but vague generalities, favoring the incumbant. (wonder world overpass - was in the works over 15 years, wonder world extension - been in the works since before i was born, it's 1/4 of 'the loop')
i don't expect much of the city council. actually i have found incompetance and stupidity there to be helpful in slowing growth.
i'll probably vote for newman because i don't like narvaiz. maybe i just want something to get angry about.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:05 PM  

People are afraid of Narvaiz. They are hesitant to publicly support her opponents. She has retaliated against people who were on different sides of issues and who spoke up about it. Remember what happened to Betsy Robertson.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:49 AM  

Mayoral Candidates

This election is sure going to be interesting, I'm voting for Daniel McCarthy though because he's a friend in the San Marcos biking community and wants to actually implement the bike lanes in town that everyone is griping about. I mean we already passed the bond and the funds have been allocated, so whats the hold up?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!