Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2008, 06:03 PM  

No kill animal shelters are fine but where do you draw the line? I am a firm believer that an animal is an animal. I would much rather see our efforts put into MUCH more important issues such as better job development and better roads. If you do some of those things, the tax base will increase and you will be able to more easily afford such things as no kill shelters and bike paths. For folks like Lisa Marie, growth is a bad thing. Nothing will kill a city faster than stagnation.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:18 PM  

Place 3 is between Saul Gonzales and Fred Terry. I know and am supporting Saul Gonzales. I also know Fred and he is a good guy. I wish they were not running against each other. Saul is one of those moderate people who See's the value in protecting neighborhoods as well as promoting growth of the economy. He is from the south side of town and is held in high regard by many residents there as someone who looks out for the average person. Fred is a Realtor, and one does have to make a choice.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:12 PM  

You could probably toss a coin between Fred and Saul. Neither are growth friendly if that is what you are looking for. Check their record on P&Z and you will see.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:19 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesquiteMan View Post
For folks like Lisa Marie, growth is a bad thing. Nothing will kill a city faster than stagnation.
The real prtoblem with anti-growth people is they ignore what is coming and fail to prepare for it. That is what has caused so many of Austin's problems.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:38 AM  

San Marcos
Quote:
Originally Posted by brete View Post
The real prtoblem with anti-growth people is they ignore what is coming and fail to prepare for it. That is what has caused so many of Austin's problems.
I agree. There are too many people in town who think that they can keep all of the growth out (or east of 35, where the brown people can deal with it). I don't think we can stop the growth and I don't think it would be a good idea if we could.

We do need to manage the growth. There is good growth and there is bad growth. Growth that brings better jobs, more money and more homeowners, compliments the character of the city and growth we keep up with (with infrastructure, services, etc) can be very good for us.

People who pine away for the good ol' days and want to shut down any further change or growth are as bad for us as KB Homes.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:26 AM  

If this is a discussion about the Place 3 candidates, Gonzales and Terry, I don't think either of them can by any reasonable stretch be accurately labeled anti-growth. The reality i see sometimes is that if a candidate of councilperson asks tough questions about ANY development proposal or growth incentive, then they are forever listed as anti-growth. It is a political tactic that sometimes works in San Marcos. Growth is coming to this region and this city, and no elected leader will last long if they try to deny or ignore that fact. What we do not need to do however is turn ourselves into South Kyle. We are better than that and we should look for candidates that understand that.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:19 AM  

San Marcos
Did Saul Gonzales run David Castillo's board of ed campaign?
Old 08-28-2008, 05:43 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher View Post
If this is a discussion about the Place 3 candidates, Gonzales and Terry, I don't think either of them can by any reasonable stretch be accurately labeled anti-growth.
Check their P&Z records and you will see. They were always on the no growth side.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:01 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesquiteMan View Post
Check their P&Z records and you will see. They were always on the no growth side.
MM, Any specifics on this absurd statement? I think you should read the the vote count on MOST agenda items from the P&Z while they were on the commission. You will find that most items for re-zoning, development approval, and platting passed with unanimous support. If you can pick out more than a handful that they did not vote for I would be surprised and if that qualifies as anti-growth in your mind then you prove my point about mindless political tactics. We need board members and council members who think about all sides of the issues and not just vote for something because it's considered "Growth". Does the Sagewood development which was a blunder of great economic proportions count as something you would have voted for?
Old 08-28-2008, 07:06 PM  

Semi,

Saul was the person involved with the successful David Castillo campaign for School Board. He has also been involved with many other local campaigns over the past 15 years. Probably more than anyone else in town. People have been asking him to run for years.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads