Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2008, 08:02 AM  

San Marcos
Quote:
Originally Posted by brete View Post
As far as the ACC thing. Why aren't we as worried about getting as many local kids into some sort of post secondary education as we are keeping Tx St students around? If we want more college graduates hanging around to grow the economy, why not invest in kids that already have roots and families here?

I agree. I've raised that issue many times. The schools here are sorely lacking. Very few HS graduates are on the college track and even fewer have SAT scores that would get them into Texas State.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:35 AM  

Quote:
As far as the ACC thing. Why aren't we as worried about getting as many local kids into some sort of post secondary education as we are keeping Tx St students around? If we want more college graduates hanging around to grow the economy, why not invest in kids that already have roots and families here?

I am not arguing against getting ACC here. I am just saying if we do at the tax rate increase they have proposed in the past, I won't be able to pay those taxes and there will be one less family with roots here. As far as the mayor and city council supporting this, they should consider the burden of taxes on working families property as well as the possible economic benefits. County taxes will most likely rise with the passing of the road bond package. There are alot of great things we can do, but we might not always be able to afford each and every one.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:46 AM  
LMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-native View Post
I agree. I've raised that issue many times. The schools here are sorely lacking. Very few HS graduates are on the college track and even fewer have SAT scores that would get them into Texas State.
Be sure to check out the awesome Emerging Stars program we have at Texas State. I have worked with many of these students, some who are actually from San Marcos and have been afforded the tools and resources to attend and be successful at Texas State.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:11 PM  

Are you going to be at the neighborhood meeting on Sunday LMC? Haven't been able to get to a debate yet and look forward to meeting the candidates before the LOWV debate Monday.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:35 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by real jupiter View Post
TwigBOY, I challenge you to a debate on the court house steps on THIS Saturday HIGH NOON boy! If you do not show up all of SM ill know you are full of...?
Mosquito Man, Are we on for the debate this Sat. at the county courthouse steps?
Old 10-16-2008, 02:39 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-native View Post
I forgot to ask, how would you propose that this be handled and how would it be different/better than the other debates?
Howdy, I'm new to your fair city and thought I would jump right in and get my feet wet politically. I emailed LMC and she says that the difference is that unlike sitting in front of the TV watching the debate, live-chat debate will allow anyone with access to a computer to submit follow up question or bring up subjects not addressed by the candidates. Cyber Interactive Town Hall Debates, I think LMC may have something here, perhaps the wave of future. Kudos LMC!
Old 10-16-2008, 03:12 PM  

San Marcos
Kudos!!

;-)
Old 10-16-2008, 05:48 PM  
LMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubbe View Post
Are you going to be at the neighborhood meeting on Sunday LMC? Haven't been able to get to a debate yet and look forward to meeting the candidates before the LOWV debate Monday.
Awesome question Kubbe!
I will absolutely be attending the meeting at 3:00. And am looking fwd to the online debate the incumbent has agreed to at the Statesman interview yesterday. More details on that one soon! And, if you would like to review all of the previous debates, please check out my youtube page:
http://www.youtube.com/lisamarie4sanmarcos
Best, LMC
Old 10-18-2008, 11:06 AM  

Sidewalks - Special Today Only

Quote:
Not to be seen as a Chris Jones supporter, but have you priced sidewalks lately?
I know this is an older post re. this thread, but, no, I haven't priced sidewalks lately. How much are they per square foot ? How many sidewalks would Chris' "branding" money build ? There are many areas of town where widening the streets are impossible, yet they need sidewalks. The city has "right of way" along all streets. I can think of only a few places where it is physically impossible to put in a sidewalk. Why haven't they been built ? Labor isn't a problem. As has been pointed out, city crews spend inordinate amounts of time hanging out at "the barn", "the shed", "the garage", and numerous other places waiting for an assignment. Let's have them build sidewalks, and if a pipe bursts the water crew can leave, etc. But just ignoring the problem means it will only get more expensive. As asked before, when do you expect the cost of building sidewalks to come down ? And again, what's stopping the city from putting a sidewalk on Chestnut St. hill, it's been needed since the sixties. Apparently the only thing stopping it is the will of the city council. Being for it is okay for a challenger, not having done it is failure for an incumbent.
Are builders/developers required to put in sidewalks during construction inside the city limits ? If not, why not ? So the city can put them in later at greater expense ? I'm sure someone will say it, but it's just plain asinine to say that the cost of putting a sidewalk in during construction of a home will price it out of range of homebuyers. Yet that is the argument builders have used for years. Only the idiots "we" have elected to successive city councils would buy that load. I've been here since 66 and I can't name one council member I think did a good job.
Not one person supporting Chris Jones has cited a specific accomplishment of his. Apparently there are none. No one wants to "trot out" his record. He went door to door to "tame" a neighborhood, problem solved I'm sure. That's a great reason to re-elect him. He can "grow" some more and maybe actually do something with results one day. I predict that the only thing he will ever accomplish is use the council as a stepping stone to higher office. Incumbents have a psychological advantage among those who project their needs and inadequacy upon elected officials they confuse with paternal figures. So the lame re-elect the lame. And the beat goes on.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:43 PM  

Thanks to LMC and Councilman Jones for attending the neighborhood meeting this afternoon. Glad you both came and shared with us. I look forward to the debate tomorrow.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!