Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2008, 07:08 PM  

My Last Damn Post On Sidewalks Paved With Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher View Post
Sidewalks are expensive. Concrete is expensive. Engineering designs are expensive. Construction companies are expensive. Get over it. These projects must be awarded to the LOWEST BIDDER, BY LAW. There are standards the city has for these things, so it is not some knucklehead contractor doing this kind of work. Then there is the street issue. Do you put sidewalks on a street that is planned to be torn up, and then have to remove the sidewalks, in a year or two, or do you do it all at once. For years this city has granted variances to developers to build their projects without sidewalks, but that does not happen now, it is a requirement of our new code. That is why we need sidewalks all across this city, because we allowed developers to eliminate them and we did not make this a priority in our development standards and future infrastructure investments.
I don't know what the "sidewalks are expensive" mafia is on but there is no point in arguing re. Monty Python, is,isn't,is,isn't... Negation is not argument.

Lowest Bidder By Law - now there is the trick. Who is the lowest bidder if the requirements for bidding eliminate any real competition. It happens all the time, even here (Citadel Construction). Knowing that your bid will be the only one acceptable by bid requirement allows plenty of room to pad the bill.

Standards ? Ask anyone doing construction work around here in the 70's or 80's about city inspectors getting fat envelopes to approve everything and anything. I'm sure that's changed.

Finally, something we agree on, past city councils [usually developers (John Stokes and the infamous family council) or builders] sold us out.

Don't know what you mean about building sidewalks only to have them removed soon thereafter. Has there been a plan to widen Chestnut for the last 40 years or so that has been repeatedly delayed at the last minute ?

Old 10-22-2008, 04:46 PM  

Mixed Messages

Check Mr. Jones' job expansion at CFAN, they are laying off folks as we speak.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:04 PM  

San Marcos
I'm not sure what anyone in government can do to keep a company from laying people off.

Yes, there are things that can be done to help businesses along, particularly new, very small businesses (CFAN is neither) and there are things that can be done to make a city more business-friendly, but if you are making jet engine parts and the airline sector slows down and the contracts don't come in (pure speculation/hypothetical on my part - I am not up on CFAN's operations), you eventually lay people off.

The idea is to have more employers, hopefully serving a few different industries/verticals, so that you have fewer eggs in each basket. Where City Council can help out is by making it attractive for businesses to come here and stay here and (in good times) grow here.

The issue is not so much that CFAN is laying people off. It is whether or not there are other jobs for those who are laid off and whether there are enough jobs (careers) for the population in general.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:17 PM  

Chris Jones made the right decision to vote against the $4 million BAILOUT of a shopping center.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:40 PM  

Could someone give the details of the shopping center bailout? I heard this referenced in other posts but I didn't listen to council last night. What was the proposal?
Old 10-22-2008, 09:32 PM  

Something to the effect that they wanted 4 million more dollars and Chris Jones wanted to ammend it to 2 Million so the city would not take all of the risk. That way the risk would be 50-50 between the city and developers. In the end Chris voted against it after council did not vote for the ammendment.
Pam Couch was all for giving it to them I believe

?If you can't convince them, confuse them.?
Old 10-24-2008, 11:07 AM  

:smile:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immis View Post
Something to the effect that they wanted 4 million more dollars and Chris Jones wanted to ammend it to 2 Million so the city would not take all of the risk. That way the risk would be 50-50 between the city and developers. In the end Chris voted against it after council did not vote for the ammendment.
Pam Couch was all for giving it to them I believe
Good for Chris Jones!!! But its too little, too late, he needs to be replaced by someone who wants to serve the community instead of himself.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:16 AM  

Maybe... maybe not. But he sure doesnt need to be replaced by lisa marie copaletta!! That would be a very bad move!

?If you can't convince them, confuse them.?
Old 10-25-2008, 03:01 AM  

choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immis View Post
Maybe... maybe not. But he sure doesnt need to be replaced by lisa marie copaletta!! That would be a very bad move!
Thank God we live in this country (for now), so that we can share our opinions!
Obviously know one on this board understands Austrian Economics!!!:frown:
If you did, we wouldn't be having these conversations, perhaps some one out there in cyberspace knows why Zebras have stripes?
Old 10-27-2008, 05:40 PM  

Economics

I spoke with Ms. Coppoletta and she understands Austrian economics!!! Please, GOD let there be someone out there (besides Coppoletta) that at least has a clue about AUSTRIAN ECONOMICS! :frown:

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!