Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2008, 01:46 PM  

I agree LMC. Let's talk about issues and your stand on them. My question is are you going to campaign? Door knocking, yard signs, mailing literature, etc. If you plan not to do these things, it is hard to take your candidacy as anything but a protest with little effort being put forth. Some of the things you have said have interested me but you will not win unless you put in the work. Do you know what the voters on the east side of town are concerned about. Have you met with community leaders there and business leaders to hear their concerns? Have you ever been to the CONA meetings to meet the neighborhood reps? This is the work part.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:19 PM  

Yeah swisher I agree.... Never seen a sign for her. The only thing I have seen is on this board. And never have I seen her at a CONA meeting.

?If you can't convince them, confuse them.?
Old 09-21-2008, 07:17 AM  
LMC

Of course I am going to have yard signs y’all. And, have spoken to leaders in our community and am honored by their support. For those of you who do know me, are already acquainted with the fact that I am well known for a door-to-door style campaign speaking directly with the voters on the issues. I visit ALL the neighborhoods. Mr. Jones can attest to this as I mentored him in Dunbar and Victory Gardens.

Also, I have set up 3 blogs to document my stances and research on the issues. The fact that I am filming the process to teach others demonstrates that I am committed to not only standing up for what I believe in but to teach others to do so as well. I have attended the debates that invitations have been extended and will be at the League and CONA debates. I will also be speaking before the ASG. When elected you will note that I will not miss a CONA meeting.

Anyone who is interested in having a yard sign at their place of business or home just send me an e-mail at lisa_coppoletta@yahoo.com to be placed on our ever growing list. Also, if you are interested in becoming a myspace friend please visit us at http://www.myspace.com/lisamarie4sanmarcos
Some of my myspace friends can attest that I correspond with them on their concerns and assist with municipal issues when no one else has.

Best Regards, LMC
Old 09-21-2008, 07:29 AM  
LMC

And, I look fwd to the CONA debates as some of the representatives have known me for 20 years and know of my commitment to being involved in one’s neighborhood. They have seen my specific programs get results. Its not all about photo ops all the time per some of the previous posts. Such as tearing down rat infested houses without reporters snapping shots and accomplishing this task as a neighborhood in cooperation with the City. Many of our neighbors, that was their first time getting theses sorts of results – so once again teaching others the process of working with the City and elected officials. And, while we are on the topic of yard signs, lets be sure to pick them all up this time y’all in a timely fashion.

Other Accomplishments With Regards to Involvement:
• with gang youth implementing neighborhood computer training programs and career exploration thru personal narrative
• neighborhood re-vitalization such as organizing efforts to tear down structures in Victory Gardens which created dangerous situations for surrounding neighbors and businesses
• worked as a liaison for various public school students whose parents needed assistance with learning disabled and at risk youth
• Liaison between tenants and landlord disputes providing workable solutions
• Organized students on campus for voter drives
• Proposed revitalization of downtown district and eco tourism initiatives
• Proposed basketball courts as a candidate all neighborhoods for activities for youth which were implemented by the Council
• opposed increased water rate increases
Old 09-21-2008, 12:01 PM  

Change Is Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilee View Post
Everyone seems to be concerned about growth. What if the other shoe drops and we 86 again? Who will know how to manage economic shrinkage? I was here in 1986 and believe me this area shrank. It got so bad that by '90 opening a new convenience store made tv news as a "shot in the arm " for the local economy. Hopefully it will never get that bad again but few politicians ever learn from the past.
Isn't it amazing what republicans can achieve with a two term president. First reagan and now bush. Let's put them both on Mount Rushmore so we never forget. P.J.O'Rourke got them right when he said "the republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then get elected and prove it" (from Holidays in Hell).
Why not let the free market work? Because they have privatized profits and socialized losses. Heads I win, tails you lose.

Everyone who ever voted for bush once should lose their voting rights for as long as it takes to straighten all this out.
Everyone who voted for him twice should should lose those rights forever as mentally incompetent.
Texans who voted for him three times should be branded with a little b or an L.
Texans who voted for him four times should be castrated or deported (their choice).
Those idiots who voted for him five times (only the Midland area) would only be subject to the last punishment because he lost that election.

So, what will local elected officials be able to do in the face of a national emergency? First, and worst, the illegals will have to go. Local jobs for locals. Tough, but illegal is illegal and more and more locals will need a job, any job. Next, cut the budget, no choice there. Then create volunteer work groups to build sidewalks where street widening is not necessary but sidewalks are (Chestnut St. hill is only 50 years past due). These same groups could transform unused city and temporarily donated private land into huge community gardens. There are plenty of hungry San Marcans now, just ask anyone at the food bank. There are still plenty of rich people around and companies that will do well in any economy, ask them to donate, sponsor, train, whatever. Give them lots of credit for their generosity. It's a form of advertising with the highest payback, community goodwill.
Branding, commuter rail and a bus system are a waste of money now. Things have changed, and so should our city council.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:21 PM  

This is not he 80's anymore. The fundamentals of the Texas economy have changed. When the 9/11 attacks occurred, everyone said the outlet malls would fail and San Marcos would be hurt since sales taxes would go down with decreased spending. It didn't happen. In fact, the SM economy fared much better than surrounding cities that were LESS dependent on sales tax. The American people and now the wealthy Mexican people must spend their money, whether on credit or not. Thank god they spend it here in San Marcos. The 3rd most visited tourist destination in the state. Commuter rail will connect the entire region together and allow those that want to work in Austin or SA to live here and vice versa. All economically advanced and productive regions of our country and others have a connection other than highways.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:31 PM  

LMC, How would you have voted on the water issue last week. As the council did or differently?
Old 09-21-2008, 03:17 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher View Post
This is not he 80's anymore. The fundamentals of the Texas economy have changed. When the 9/11 attacks occurred, everyone said the outlet malls would fail and San Marcos would be hurt... Commuter rail will connect the entire region together and allow those that want to work in Austin or SA to live here and vice versa. All economically advanced and productive regions of our country and others have a connection other than highways.
The parallels between the economic crisis of the 80's and today are almost identical. One could say that 86 was a blueprint for what has just happened. 9/11 was a mere blip economically. I don't know anyone who thought the outlet malls would fail then. I'm sure there were many pundits in the beer halls who might have thought so. I don't think the outlet malls will fail now. I do think economic problems are coming to River City and like it or not commuter rail will be put aside, we're a long way from needing it. Austin will show us how well it works or doesn't (I'm betting on doesn't).
As for the fundamentals of the TX economy having changed, you are right, now we're heavily dependent on the fragile high tech industry which is heavily dependent on consumers with disposable income. CSC is skeletal in Austin, HP has been quietly laying off for years, Dell not so quietly. Green energy is still trying to get off the ground in Austin (should be lured to SM - tie in to the U and Camp Gary). What will and always has insulated central TX economically is government/university jobs. That doesn't mean a lot people will not be negatively effected. They will, wait and see.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:12 AM  

Actually Jeepster sales tax reciepts state wide fell tremendously late 2001-2002. Remember the $10 billion deficiet the state budget had in 2003. That was largely due to falling sales tax collections from late 2001 through 2002. San Marcos wasn't hit as hard as many places.

The entire state was hit by a slow moving collaspe in the late 80s/ early 90s. That one started with the oil bust of the mid 80s and rolled into a real estate speculation crash of the late 80s.

Further the commuter rail that everyone keeps talking about is the SA-North of Austin Commuter Rail District that was created several years ago by the legislature, when UP first started talking about building tracks that didn't go through so many cities where they have to slow down. That is distinct and different from the Metro Commuter rail that Austin is in the process of putting together.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:57 PM  

Actually Brete the dot com bust and the resultant decline in the computer and software markets were responsible for the economic downturn of 2001.

The oil bust was earlier and the housing bubble burst in 86. Nevertheless, then and now we had: OIL - (falling too fast then, rising too fast recently)
HOUSING BUBBLE - built on speculation, easy credit, poor leveraging against loans and virtually no risk management.
CREDIT collapse - same reasons as above
BANKRUPTCY - consolidation
BAIL OUTS
Virtually the same situation then and now. Why, because they could. Why not when you make money both ways. You run a play until it stops working.

The ASA Intermunicipal Commuter Rail District was dreamt up by Union Pacific to get new tracks at taxpayer expense while selling off the old line with all it's problems for a tidy little sum. The Rail Relocation Fund to do this was not funded by the 2007 lege who smelled a rat. The estimated cost to do so was $2.4 billion. Another $600 million would be needed to establish the commuter rail system with an annual operating cost of $41 million. I suspect all those figures are very rosy. The estimated public benefit (I don't know where they pulled this figure from) is $1.4 billion over 20 years. All numbers are from TxDOT. Do the math.
The Austin Metro plan has always hinged on a tie in to ASA commuter for their numbers to pan out.
Will we get stuck with it, eventually, yes. Will it make a difference here, not likely.

Chris Jones has jumped on (or under) what he thinks is a gravy train. And wants to spend a bundle making it prettier for the passengers who pass through our town. Spend our money on us first, Chris. Stop talking about sidewalks and bike paths and put them where they can be, now.

And, Chris, why won't you involve yourself with the give and take of this forum as Lisa Marie Coppoletta does? She has hardly been treated fairly here and yet she continues to participate. You still have much to learn from her, grasshopper.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!