Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2008, 05:12 PM  
LMC

The Yard Sign Issue

Regarding yard signs - don't let all the Jones signs fool you - many of them were put up this year w/o permission and people are just to classy to call him to come take them down. And, I support this notion. This is speaking to people directly this afternoon.

Just b/c individuals and businesses allowed him THREE YEARS AGO to put them up does not mean they are still wanting them out THIS YEAR. Asking permission is the ethical and honest thing to do. This is my report from live in the field while putting out my yard signs.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:09 PM  

Regarding the film industry. Friday Night Lights films alot here in San Marcos. How many "Locals" have been in one of their productions? Besides "unpaid extras" I dont think many have. Please correct me if Im wrong.

?If you can't convince them, confuse them.?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:38 PM  
LMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immis View Post
Regarding the film industry. Friday Night Lights films alot here in San Marcos. How many "Locals" have been in one of their productions? Besides "unpaid extras" I dont think many have. Please correct me if Im wrong.
Correction - LOTS O JOBS AT 75 TO 150 TO $20,000 PER DAY - WITHOUT
ACTING EXPERIENCE - Consider the tons of people hired for "The Ringer". These were PAYING JOBS. I was on all these sets - LOTS OF SAN MARCOS RESIDENTS GOT PAID WELL with 2 to 3 square meals. And saw themselves in the final cut. VERY VERY VERY FEW UNPAID EXTRAS IN THIS BUSINESS.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:39 PM  
LMC

this includes FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS! $$$$$$$$$ for small businesses and extras! and exposure FOR FREE for our town!
Old 10-09-2008, 05:41 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post
Regarding yard signs - don't let all the Jones signs fool you - many of them were put up this year w/o permission and people are just to classy to call him to come take them down.
What are they all cripples? If someone put a sign in my yard w/o my permission, the trash guys would be picking it up.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:29 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by brete View Post
What are they all cripples? If someone put a sign in my yard w/o my permission, the trash guys would be picking it up.
Heh heh - I didn't realize people still said cripples! Glad I wasn't sipping my coffee! God I hate political correctness...
Old 10-09-2008, 07:36 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post
Correction - LOTS O JOBS AT 75 TO 150 TO $20,000 PER DAY - WITHOUT
ACTING EXPERIENCE the final cut. .
I think it was more like 7.25 an hour for Ringers so even at 150 people thats only 1087.50 a day.... FAR LESS than 20,000 a day.

?If you can't convince them, confuse them.?
Old 10-09-2008, 08:41 AM  

San Marcos
Yeah. I've actually got a close friend in the industry. She works quite a bit, out of Austin. $20,000 per day is pie in the sky bull****. This is not going to bring real careers to San Marcos. A few jobs at $75-150 per day, maybe. Unfortunately, a real career pays $200 or more per day, year round, not just for a few days at a time.

As for the signs, I'm with Brete. If someone put one in my yard without asking, it'd be gone and the idea that you can't get your signs in anyone's yard because a candidate they don't support put his signs there first, without permission and they don't want to be mean and take them down is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I'm sorry. I'm trying to be open minded here, but you must be out of your freaking mind.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:23 AM  

It would be highly unusual for a business owner or homeowner to allow a campaign sign on their property without permission. If it happens, typically the candidate gets a nasty phone call, at least on the campaigns I've helped with.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:21 AM  

LMC,
Attracting the film industry is great. Paying people as extras is great. How many people can make a career out of it here? That's the difference. It is not going to stabilize and develop the economy of this town. Even if they are well paying jobs (and I think you inflate your numbers as I also have friends in the industry in Austin, and no-one they know makes that), a job that's around for 3 months out of the year doesn't make a career that someone can relocate or stay here for. The film industry and eco-tourism are great things and should be developed, but they are not something to rely on, especially when there's the 800 lb gorilla 30 minutes up the road, and the economy appears to be tanking. I think your views about what is realistic show how little you've thought this through. Your attitude in your posts show that you suffer from more than a little hubris. I'm not endorsing Jones, but I certainly won't vote for you.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!