Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2008, 12:41 PM  

General Contractor Recomendations

We are looking for someone to do remodel work on our house. I would prefer a city licensed contractor because we are going to be moving some plumbing around (and some walls as well) and I know the city requires a license to issue permits. I would prefer to go with someone I can get some feed back on. Anyone have any good or bad experience they care to share. Thanks

Old 01-11-2008, 02:03 PM  

San Marcos
I've had a few no-shows, which sucks. I don't have their information here at the office, though. In the end, I've done most of the work myself, or with laborers that I supervised (no contractor).

I've heard good things about Tom Pyle. I believe he did the work at the Wine Cellar. His number is 757-0311. I've also heard good things about Derek Royal - 398-9772.

Unfortunately, both of those names were given to me after I did everything myself, so I can't cite any personal experience.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:29 AM  

I can in good faith recommend a landscaper. If you need someone like this please let me know. Also, if anyone can recommend someone to help with redoing A/C ducting let me know. thanks!
Old 01-18-2008, 07:26 PM  

Tony Rash and others, ok I am going to ramble here.

Tony built the front porch on 919 belvin, his work on that project was fantastic. Chuck Blue (sp) did the guest house at 1016 belvin, again his work was great.

Both guys are not cheap, but they are old school craftsman that demand perfection and do very well.

Mike Bartz is the best trim carpenter in san marcos and maybe the best in Texas.

David Jordan is an artist of a framing contractor. His crew is fantastic, he has great input on roofing and concrete contractors too. Tuttles has his number too.

Chavo (sp) is the best drywall contractor in Texas ( tuttles lumber has his number)

Zone Electric, Brandon Adams, and Ryan Adams does great work with our older houses at he right price. their dad Larry has passed away, but there was no finer man to ever work a trade than Larry Adams, may he rest in peace, he was an awesome man and I miss him terribly!!!

Randall at apache plumbing is one of the best plumbers I have ever met, expensive, but worth every penny.

tile and masonry

what ever you do STAY AWAY FROM

Dwayne Vogel Tile Setter Services

the guy is an out of control dirtbag that has stolen from many in central texas.

he will start a job, ask for some extra draw and dissapear. he also cannot lay a tile floor straight to save his life " I have seen this in person"

If you have to hire him, give him as little money as possible until he is done or he will be gone, and you better count the silver too. Do not leave him alone in your house, he will steal from you.

he had the police called on him a couple times in the historic district, he is bad news.

i would only use him for OUTSIDE brick work or stone work at best and make sure your house is locked.

Fineline painting is good for your exterior and interior general work. Not murals, but good solid paint work. M&M painting is the best, but the most expensive.

Jones hardwood floors very good, the guy is very honest and made sure we were happy.

Beware of Forrest, he is a sweet guy, but will talk more than work. get a bid price not an hourly rate from him and you will be ok.

Alfredo Bass does a great job with tile!

Landscaping

gardens by Lisa!!
Old 06-26-2008, 10:15 AM  

I'll be looking for a contractor soon as well. Anyone know someone who would be willing to work on a crazy dome house. Like this?

I've got the people to do the shell part, just need someone to help with everything else, like the land prep and interior finishing.

On a similar note, does anyone know of a piece of land with little or no restrictions for sale that I could put this on?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.