Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2004, 12:09 PM  

Internet Access?

I'd like to know what you guys use for Internet access in San Marcos? Guess I'm looking for the cheapest possible one... Doesn't matter if it's dial-up or broadband, just as long as it's cheap....yet somewhat reliable.

My wife's a student at Texas State so we could use her uni connection, but with the uni servers the speed sucks and you get disconnected every other minute, it seems.

Old 07-09-2004, 12:37 PM  
larryknowles

ISP 's in San Marcos

I am using centrytel.net (DSL) I am very satisfied with the service I am having.
very good price too! $29.99 per month plus $5.00 payment on modem per month for one year I think, it all comes with my telephone bill
I hope this helps
larryknowles@centurytel.net
[/b]
Old 07-20-2004, 12:12 PM  

I've been using the Texas State's "free" Dial up connection for 7 years now. I only get kicked off after several hours. You might changing your window or modem's string setting to see if that fix the problem. You can drop your computer off at Derrick Hall if you can't fix this problem yourself.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:24 AM  

CenturyTel is fair, I really wouldn't recommend it for most people though.

For one, you have to buy a modem ($60) which they will only buy back for $20, naturally. I'm guessing they just turn around and sell it for $60 again... For another, it's $30 for the DSL + $14 for the phone line. As a product of modern technology, I use a cell phone for all phone calls, and so a phone line with the normal dial-tone is useless to me. I even talked to a couple supervisors, because I know for a fact that DSL does not require dial-tone services to function, but NOOO, I still had to have a basic phone line. Also, the bandwidth is only 512/256 (for the $30).

For roughly the same amount monthly, you can get 3000/something cable service from TimeWarner or Grande, neither of which require you to buy the modem (or pay to replace it if it breaks).
Old 07-04-2005, 06:44 PM  

Larry Knowles, you are paying way too much for centurytel dsl. I had a cable connection through Grande for under 30 bucks a month and I didn't have to rent the modem, just give it bnack when I'm done. Grande is awesome especially when combined with other services.

Also, SBC Yahoo DSL is having a 14.99 DSL promotion, 14.99 per month for 12 months.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!