Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2007, 02:42 PM  

San Marcos
I'd prefer to keep everything in a public forum for a number of reasons, but mostly because like San Marcos, I have grown attached to this site and would like to do whatever I can to bring value (content, discussions and people) here.

I am a transplant as well, hence the username. Like me, you probably chose San Marcos out of any other place you could live, with a university you could get into and afford, with a program you wanted to study; not necessarily anywhere in the world.

When I got here, there were a lot of others just like me who loved the city (more like a town at the time) just as much as I did. Many of them moved on after graduation. Some stayed a long time before they left. Some left right away. Some are still here, like me. Some of the ones who left really f-ed things up on the way out the door.

It is unlikely that he is going to use the public administration degree in San Marcos and Texas State does not have an MPA program (I don't think), so what would he do here? How long does he think he will stay?

Old 11-01-2007, 02:46 PM  

in your opinion why should the permanent residents of san marcos trust a property manager, jude prather, to have the interest of the city and neighborhoods as their top priority?

also why has jude accepted so much money from realtors, developers and property managers? has jude prather accepted money from people outside san marcos? if so why would he do this?

Old 11-01-2007, 05:42 PM  

A few things to field so please bear with me...

-- Again, I hate to talk about me when I am not on the ballot, but I hate appearing to dodge questions more. :-) My friendship with Jude and my intentions to work with his campaign provided the impetus to leave SMDR when I did. I did feel that SMDR had reached the extent of its influence -- I probably would have left anyway -- because its parent company Alabama-based Community Newspaper Holdings Inc. notoriously shortchanges newsrooms and runs newspapers on he cheap. In short, the parent company doesn't give a damn about San Marcos and I do think a locally owned news operation is a good idea. I did not have a deal or an investor until two or three weeks after I put in notice and left SMDR.

I want to say in SMDR's defense, that people who work there -- some of whom who have given decades to the place -- bust their asses 6+ days a week to cover what they can. Even if you count Anita Miller as three reporters, the place is understaffed for a community this size and this educated.

I missed the Bose story while I worked there and did not think much about his employment until he mentioned at one of the debates that he was working at Gary Job Corp., not the prison as I had thought. That got me looking and led me to these articles....

From the Hays County Free Press:

Kyle prison counselors allege contract violations
http://www.haysfreepress.com/article...news/news2.txt

Kyle prison undergoing audit
http://www.haysfreepress.com/article...news/news1.txt

-- I don't know everyone who has donated money to Jude but I am sure you are right that the list includes quite a few real estate agents and builders. (At least one of Mr. Bose's top donors is a developer as well). If I can get a pdf version of Jude's campaign finance disclosure, I'll post it here as well as that of Mr. Bose. I don't know of any campaign contributions coming from out of town except for that of Jude's parents, who live in Arlington.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:17 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdescript View Post
-- I don't know everyone who has donated money to Jude but I am sure you are right that the list includes quite a few real estate agents and builders. (At least one of Mr. Bose's top donors is a developer as well).
edited this comment until i re-asset what i got.

i will be posting jude prather's campaign finance records here shortly. what he has spent the money on is almost as interesting on who has donated.

also your wrong on taking out of town money. a austin realty group dumped some money into his campaign. very interesting stuff. will post it tonight or tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:23 PM  

Thanks. Here I am thinking that Norton is on the other side of this campaign and he or she offers to field a question for me by posting the campaign finance reports ... Maybe I'm making headway. :-)

A friendly suggestion. Please post the reports in a new thread. This one is getting too long to be manageable.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:02 AM  

San Marcos
Dude, stop spamming with that damn article. You've posted the links a dozen times now. We get it. You want traffic on your website.

BTW, don't ******* email me the story again, either.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:11 AM  

:biggrin: I was waiting for that one !
The links dont work anyway!! PAGE NOT FOUND !!

?If you can't convince them, confuse them.?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:59 AM  

not sure why those links arent working above. here they are again.

From the Hays County Free Press

http://www.haysfreepress.com/article...news/news1.txt

http://www.haysfreepress.com/article...news/news2.txt

Sorry semi-native... Not intended as spam but want to make sure people joining the conversation further down know what we're talking about. Also, apparently they had a glitch on the site and some of my earlier posts did not make it online until later. Consequently it looks like I'm posting the links more often than I am. (When my posts weren't showing up, I put in the links message several times and with several variations and continue to do it periodically for people who missed the start of the thread).
Old 11-02-2007, 09:11 AM  

He does say we should be more like Round Rock, which is the last place in Central Texas, I'd want to live.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:14 AM  

I don't think I've ever heard Jude say San Marcos should be more like Round Rock unless maybe if it was a reference to tech industries. Some one else was quoted recently saying something like 'whats good for Kyle and New Braunfels is good for San Marcos.' I have to say that I personally cannot disagree more. Same with Round Rock.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!