Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2007, 03:16 PM  

Is Jude Prather Spreading Lies?

in a flier sent out by the Prather campaign to discredit Mr. Bose they state he strongly supported raising the age to run for City Council but didn't Mr. Bose vote against it so how did he strongly support it when he voted against it?

Old 11-02-2007, 04:15 PM  

Bose on raising minimum age for council membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
in a flier sent out by the Prather campaign to discredit Mr. Bose they state he strongly supported raising the age to run for City Council but didn't Mr. Bose vote against it so how did he strongly support it when he voted against it?
He voted for it (twice) before he voted against it. Then he voted for it again (twice).

You may remember that the Charter Review Commission -- chaired by Moe Johnson months after he was defeated by then-Texas State Student Chris Jones -- recommended raising the age to run for council from 18 to 21. (Some of the charter review commission members advocated raising it to 25 but were told by then-city attorney Mark Taylor that an age requirement could not be that restrictive, according to the commission minutes.)

The amendment passed the council 4-3 on the first two readings of three readings with Bose voting both times in favor of the age requirement. When it came up for a third reading, Ed Mihalkanin (in his last meeting) moved that it be dropped from the ballot and his motion was approved 4-3 with Mr. Bose voting to drop it. Apparently Bose changed his mind, i.e. realized he had cast his vote in error, because within minutes he voted to reconsider the matter when Chris Jones moved to do so. Then he voted twice in favor of raising the age requirement during subsequent votes.

So I don't think it's quite right to "spin" Mr. Bose's apparent confusion (voting against the proposal once and in favor of it four times) as evidence that he did not support it. Based on his voting record, you might figure that he is 4/5ths in favor of raising the age, which to answer your question is pretty strong support. Brad Rollins

Hays Highway covered the vote here:
http://www.hayshighway.com/sanmarcos-081606.html

The Austin American-Statesman covered the issue here:
http://www.txstate.edu/news/news_rel...mit072906.html

Old 11-02-2007, 07:54 PM  

There is proof to the fact that Mr. Bose voted for the raising of the age. What I would like to see is how does Mr. Bose think that it's okay to claim that any talks of a taskforce to take care of the Sagewood issue is "just a rumor." I attended the debate held on campus where both incumbents claimed that any talks of a taskforce were rumors, and I got the idea that they were insinuating that the "rumor" came from Mr. Prather's campaign. The mayor cleared up the confusion when she said that the taskforce discussion was real, and that maybe the incumbents didn't remember it. In my opinion that means one of two things.
1) The mayor was being polite by not calling them liars who blatantly have no respect for the voting consituency between the ages of 18-25. Or,
2) The two incumbents really did forget something that was discussed about a taskforce for Sagewood.
In either case, whether they're forgetful or lying, I wouldn't want them to represent me on the council anymore.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:00 PM  

EqualVoice... A small correction: the proposed alcohol taskforce discussed here is CITYWIDE and would impact everyone. They're just using Sagewood as the pretense.

Here is the article I wrote for SMDR. Police and city admin officials acknowledged the proposed taskforce at the October 16 council meeting but only because Chris Jones put it on the agenda and forced them to reveal it publicly before the election.

http://www.78666.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808&page=8

Brad Rollins

Here is Marshal Ken Bell's rental property licensing and inspections proposal. It is separate from the alcohol taskforce except that it is also being tendered as a solution to the Sagewood problem. http://newstreamz.com/wp-content/upl...on-9-18-07.pdf
Old 11-02-2007, 08:07 PM  

Thanks for the correction. While my details lack a little research, my basis for posting is still rock solid. I've read many posts here over the past few hours and can tell whom is supporting each candidate. It just seems ironic that a strong supporter of Bose is claiming that Prather lied about something....and after the last debate that campaign shouldn't be using falsehoods as a negative quality for anyone.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:25 PM  

You must be living in some drug induced delusion. I sat there in the audience as Gaylord voted to keep the amendment on the ballot.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:16 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immis View Post
All I have to know is that Bose compared a minority group to the prisoners he used to oversee. He even went so far to advise using the same techniques he used in prison to punish people in this town. I think it is pretty safe to say that most people in this town are law abiding citizens, and to have a sitting elected official compare any group to jailed convicts is ridiculous, callous, and inappropriate considering he serves us, not the other way around. -- Eric.Heggie

I think what he said was that in prison punishments are handed out imediately. Saying that if someone breaks the rules , the punishments (tickets/fines) should be handed out right there and then. Listen to the whole council meeting and not just what one of your buddies posted on the internet. -- immis
Do you mean immis that it's your understanding that Mr. Bose was saying we should skip the trial/guilty plea part and go straight to the punishment? You know better! He is clear about what he is saying and it's not that the fines should be handed out on the spot. You're not doing your candidate any favors posting while intoxicated. ;-)

So you can reach your own conclusions, here's the video titled 'Gaylord Bose Presents Sagewood Solutions."
Old 11-03-2007, 05:44 AM  

And how could I forget: Gaylord Bose and Betsy Robertson said at a chamber of commerce forum in October that they were in favor of moving municipal elections back to the first weekend in May. More than a few people think the switch to November was done in a manner contrary to the city charter and without adequate consideration. Whether that is true or not, Jude does not believe it should be moved back because it disenfranchises (1) students, who are either in finals or out of school and (2) Latinos, who are less likely to vote because of Cinco de Mayo celebrations, travel, etc.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:01 AM  

Norton, you have been one of the people who have really pushed for Mr. Rollins to explain several things aboutthe views and positions of Mr. Prather. I agree with you that if you're going to defend someone in an election you should be able to explain what they stand for. With that in mind, can you please explain to me the logic in Mr. Bose LYING to everyone at the ASG debate about the taskforce issue? There's no doubt in my mind that that was exactly what he did, and I'd like to see some kind of explanation.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:38 AM  

Norton, you logged on long enough to respond to another post, why can you not answer me about the hypocracy of accusing Mr. Prather of spreading lies and will not respond to Mr. Bose's actions at the ASG debate?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!